Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Life without food; fasting on water!

Paleobird Guest
    Shop Now
    <whoooooooooooosh> (The sound of a joke passing by overhead).

I got the joke. But I do think some people still need some clarification on starvation mode.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

I just see people saying if you don't eat enough your body will hold onto fat and stop losing.
    That's how I've been understanding it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    I just see people saying if you don't eat enough your body will hold onto fat and stop losing.
    That's how I've been understanding it.
    Only stop losing if your caloric intake reaches equilibrium with your expenditure. The body is reluctant to give up fat, but still does so in a true deficit. The down regulation in metabolism may be in part due to the loss of lean body mass, which the body isn't as reluctant to give up.
    Last edited by j3nn; 02-23-2013 at 01:10 PM.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    I guess good on her for going that long, but I don't think she needed to do the third. I wish she said how much she weighed in the third video, but I think she looks awful.
    Yes, she look pretty awful, at the end of the fast, and this is mainy due to dehydration due to low glycogen. This will be restored after a time of eating in calorie surplus though. She said she did it for religious reasons, but maybe there was a intention of weightloss behind it as well? Anyway, she published lots of videos from her extreme fasting and this is how she look one month AFTER finishing her fasting project:

And this video is from 7 months after finishing:

Like j3nn said, starvation mode is the protective slowdown of your metabolism to prolong survival during stressful times because your body is literally consuming itself to provide fuel. This is a good thing if you're literally starving and food isn't available, but not optimal for weight management in the long term.
    Make America Great Again

Starvation mode comes into play when the body can't get enough energy from fat fast enough for it's various tasks, but you have to be pretty lean before that to happen, and the demand for energy must also be high. The body slow dow the metabolism to protect lean body mass and internal organs, but people with enough bodyfat doesen't need to worry much if at all...

Amazing how people can let go of 6 meals/day, the idea that 60% of calories should come from carbs, the wheat/grain/legumes model, and even turn their back on the whole cholesterol fairy tale.

But starvation mode? Nope, that one's carved in stone.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

I don't believe in starvation mode in overweight people either. My biggest pet peeve with nutrition online forums as a whole is when someone is advised to eat more, when seeking input on issues with weight loss. It makes me cringe every time when I read "you are not eating enough and your body is holding on to........"

Shop Now
    Hi, I used to starve myself and eat less than 200 cals a day for long periods of time.
    You do loose weight, that's for sure.
    One of the ways to diagnose anorexia is how low your BMI is, so. If starvation mode was a thing the way everybody talks like it is, anoretics would not be underweight.

I don't think any medical professional will tell you fasting for 40 days without being morbidly obese is healthy or safe, and I think a lot of people use religion, or 'healthy eating', to cover up an eating disorder. Glad she's ok now, but she looks very sick in that last video.