Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Digestive Issues page

shel0675 is offline Junior Member

Digestive Issues

Hi there, new here. I am self diagnosed gluten intolerant (celiac) and do no dairy as well. So, even going primal is very difficult w/ no yummies like butter, cheese, milk and yogurt, but I am hanging in there. i have a question. Does anyone have problems with slowed digestion on this diet given all the fat and protein content? My body is doing much, much better on this diet coupled with lots of alternative medicine and supplements (recovering insomniac as well), but the lingering issues are mostly digestive with a focus on actual breakdown of the foods I am eating. Put it this way, things are a moving slowly. And I feel like I am just not as regular as I would like to be. Sorry to talk all 'bowel movements' on ya'll, but I know I am not the only one who has come across this way of life from health issues. Going to be starting a new enzyme regimen and a probiotic. Too bad all this is so dang expensive. And, no, I do not want to get into my own fermentation. Not that motivated!

I am doing the whole primal thing about 80/20, but once I get that cookbook, I am going to be more like 100 cause I will have so many recipes at my finger tips!

Anyway, just wanting advice and support.

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member
    The human body has an amazing healing ability. But it takes time. Until then, focus on getting gut health back.

Ie no gluten/lactose/other foods that cause an IgE/IgG antibody response (can be found through food sensitivity test)
    Little to no water after meals for at-least 30 minutes
    Try not to mix oils, like coconut and butter, just choose one
    Try not to mix animal proteins, meaning chicken and pork in the same meal is a bad idea
    Check out an elimination/rotation diet, Paul Chek has an excellent one in How to eat, move and be healthy
    Probiotics/Digestive enzymes
    Plenty of water (not around meals)

It'll get back to where you want it, just gotta have patience.

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

Why do you suggest no water during or around meals? I am curious, because I am really trying to increase my water all day, but I do drink often during a meal. I go to the bathroom A LOT. Another one of my fun issues!

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    you body wont absorb the nutrients well with lots of drinking at a meal... i second probiotics. see Dr Ayers post at cooling inflammation blog on got flor and health

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    With regards to poo (tehee), frequent bowel movements are way overrated. A lot of the time that means that the food is being pushed through without as much absorption of nutrients. What really matters is the quality of it. Is it thick and one piece, two pieces. eight pieces? Is there undigested matter? That sort of stuff is way more important than frequency. I eat a lot of vegetables and go once a day but someone eating less vegetables than I do would be less frequent. If you're into the many days with nothing, then there's probably a problem, but total transit time is of little importance as long as you are eating real food, taking probiotics and staying away from that which irritates your GI tract.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

I go daily, but not great. I can tell I am just not right, very in tune to my body. I think it is that I am not doing this 100% and I am still healing. I think I need the extra enzymes and such for awhile. And always figuring out what irritates my digestive tract, it is maddening sometimes.

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    I feel better than ever despite my bowels slowing down. I can go a day without visiting my old porcelain mate but I don't feel constipated or have digestive issues. It may be because I am not eating so often, but I think what has changed is the amount of crap I used to eat went through my digestive system fast because there wasn't really much digestive value to it. Now all my food is so much better than my body is using more of it and my digestion is slowly because there is more good stuff for my digestive processes to dig into.

Helen in Oz is offline Senior Member
    I was a bit worried because I've always had a pretty temperamental digestive system, but I've included a serve of spinach or asian greens every day, and a couple of prunes (literally, two or three) and some nuts, and everything seems to be working just fine. As well as supplementing with a digestive 'good bacteria' capsule.

Try upping your cooked vegetable uptake? Even just blanching or lightly steaming. It helps the digestive process I feel - I don't do well with salads.

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by shel0675 View Post
    Why do you suggest no water during or around meals? I am curious, because I am really trying to increase my water all day, but I do drink often during a meal. I go to the bathroom A LOT. Another one of my fun issues!
    Drinking water around a meal dilutes the HCL, interfering with protein breakdown.

Drinking plenty of water is fine. I recommend half your body-weight in ounces at-least. Just don't do it around meals.

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast