Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Non-GMO certified Gluten free Oats? ok for a dabble? page 2

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaHorse View Post
    In this forum there is a sure way to test products: ask if its OK and if its non primal - Derpamix will come and tell you to eat it as much as you can. If its total crap - Zach will chime in.
    Looks like you have it all figured out
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thepeanutbutterkid View Post
    Its a grain so what. but man do I miss oatmeal.
    Sounds like you still got a habit,
    IMHO, stay off them.
    I think if some people counted up their 20% like they do their macros, they'd be more like 40%.
    I try to keep my 20 % as the indiscretions outside of my house.

not on the rug is offline Senior Member
    i eat non-GMO, gluten free oats a few times per month. no big deal. there are a lot worse things you could be eating
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    If occasional oats are okay, then so is occasional wheat. Most of us are not celiac - in that case, oats may be worse. Inflammatory avenin protein, super high in phytic acid (much higher than wheat), much higher in PUFA meaning it's more likely rancid than wheat flour on the shelf, very sharp, insoluble grain fiber implicated in scarring the colon and increasing the risk of colon cancer...pass the sourdough bread, please.

If you're going to eat oats, you better soak them with buckwheat and ferment them for a few days. No thank you.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

NDF
    NDF is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    If you're going to eat oats, you better soak them with buckwheat and ferment them for a few days. No thank you.
    I read elsewhere that the best way to consume oats was after soaking them in something acidic. The recommendation made was yogurt or kefir. I rarely eat oats but decided to eat them for breakfast last week. The results were pretty horrible.

Shadowknight137 is offline Senior Member
    If occasional oats are okay, then so is occasional wheat. Most of us are not celiac - in that case, oats may be worse. Inflammatory avenin protein, super high in phytic acid (much higher than wheat), much higher in PUFA meaning it's more likely rancid than wheat flour on the shelf, very sharp, insoluble grain fiber implicated in scarring the colon and increasing the risk of colon cancer...pass the sourdough bread, please.

Goddammit Choco. Way to put me off something I thought was "safe" as a coeliac. :P

Any idea for a recipe that has a similar consistency/nutrition/deliciousness factor to protein powder and oats? Not something I make a habit out of eating, btw, it's what I consider my 20%, along with peanut butter.

Quote Originally Posted by NDF View Post
    I read elsewhere that the best way to consume oats was after soaking them in something acidic. The recommendation made was yogurt or kefir. I rarely eat oats but decided to eat them for breakfast last week. The results were pretty horrible.
    The one time I made oatmeal raisin cookies since I've gone Primal over 2 years ago, I soaked them in kefir. However, I also added a tablespoon of buckwheat. The reason why is oats are extremely high in phytic acid, and buckwheat is very high in phytase. Adding a tablespoon of buckwheat flour adds phytase, so during the fermentation you eliminate a good portion of the phytate.

That being said, oats are still crap. Even if you remove the phytic acid content, you're not fixing the rancid PUFA's and destructive fiber. Oats look exactly the same coming out as they look going in. That's usually a bad sign.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Quote Originally Posted by AngryKiwi47 View Post
    Goddammit Choco. Way to put me off something I thought was "safe" as a coeliac. :P

Any idea for a recipe that has a similar consistency/nutrition/deliciousness factor to protein powder and oats? Not something I make a habit out of eating, btw, it's what I consider my 20%, along with peanut butter.
    This isn't a gluten-free diet. So many people cheat with gluten-free crap as if there is some belief that gluten is the worst thing on Earth and as long as you're avoiding gluten you'll be okay. Gluten may really bad for 2% of us, but for the overwhelming majority it's not going to cause some immediate reaction. Do you know what is really bad for all of us? Rancid fats, and oats are loaded with them. I'll eat a nice slice of sourdough wheat bread any day over a bowl of rancid oatmeal or a salad doused in dressing with soybean oil in it. Do you know why it's nearly impossible to find raw oats anywhere? Because the cooking process masks the rancidity and you can't tell, just like the way they deodorize canola and soybean oil so you don't know you're cooking with rancid trans fats.

I can't commiserate with you because oatmeal+protein powder to me resembles artificially flavored chocolate vomit. Why not eat real food instead, like steak and potatoes? I can't argue with peanut butter, but really, oats? They resemble vomit, have a similar texture to vomit, and frankly, unless you dress them up with a bunch of fruit, spices or sweetener, they're borderline inedible. That right there is a big red flag - you don't like oats, you like all the stuff you're pouring all over it. If you're going to do that, why not just make rice pudding with white rice, whole milk, protein powder and cinnamon? It'll taste very similar and be a lot healthier.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 02-25-2013 at 07:08 PM.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    5.6% total calories of oats come from o6, plenty of other frequently eaten foods have much higher. Chicken with skin, eggs, etc etc; No one should eat that many servings of oatmeal, and no one probably wants to.

Cooking and soaking oats removes most of the phytic acid. The only problem with oats, if eaten frequently(not recommended) is the fiber, and high phosphorus content(especially if not throughly cooked, as the phytic acid binds to calcium).
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

Shadowknight137 is offline Senior Member
    This isn't a gluten-free diet. So many people cheat with gluten-free crap as if there is some belief that gluten is the worst thing on Earth and as long as you're avoiding gluten you'll be okay. .
    Well... Technically, it is. :P
    I hate gluten-free products, totally hate them. Always have. Unless I bake it myself - coconut flour pizzas, brownies, etc - I never have them. Never bake with almond flour, tastes like balls, and I've heard it's not all that healthy.

Gluten may really bad for 2% of us, but for the overwhelming majority it's not going to cause some immediate reaction. Do you know what is really bad for all of us? Rancid fats, and oats are loaded with them. I'll eat a nice slice of sourdough wheat bread any day over a bowl of rancid oatmeal or a salad doused in dressing with soybean oil in it..
    This is true, yes, but I AM part of that 2%, I can't enjoy the bread without going through hell. My "naughty" options are somewhat limited... to me, gluten kinda does seem like the worse thing in the world. Hard to understand until you've spent a whole night retching out both ends. :/
    But yes, I totally agree that rancid fats are terrible - and anything to do with soy is just gross.

Do you know why it's nearly impossible to find raw oats anywhere? Because the cooking process masks the rancidity and you can't tell, just like the way they deodorize canola and soybean oil so you don't know you're cooking with rancid trans fats.
    I did not. Though, now I know, I will avoid. At the very least, I'll limit to far below what I had before. Which, thus far this year, has been once.

I can't commiserate with you because oatmeal+protein powder to me resembles artificially flavored chocolate vomit. Why not eat real food instead, like steak and potatoes? I can't argue with peanut butter, but really, oats? They resemble vomit, have a similar texture to vomit, and frankly, unless you dress them up with a bunch of fruit, spices or sweetener, they're borderline inedible.
    Mm, yes. It seems I've given the wrong impression here; I do eat real food. All the time. Steak and potatoes. Eggs, vegetables, fish, fowl, etc. It is extremely rare for me to have a craving for either oats and/or peanut butter. Seriously. 99% of the time I eat food.

Bloody hell, it's weird being given advice on what I already preach.

If you're going to do that, why not just make rice pudding with white rice, whole milk, protein powder and cinnamon? It'll taste very similar and be a lot healthier.
    I could give it a whirl. Cheers ^_^

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast