Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why am I so tired? Suggestions please page

Meghanner is offline Senior Member

Why am I so tired? Suggestions please

Shop Now
    I've been primal for a few years now but lower carb primal (50-70) for the past 8 months. For longer than I can remember, I've been suffering from fatigue that I don't think is reasonable for someone of my age or fitness level. I'd really appreciate some positive and constructive suggestions. Here's a bit of background.

- 33yr old female, 106lbs 5'4.5" BF last tested at 13% two years ago...may be less now, not sure.
    - Ammenhorea since 2007 after the death of a spouse
    - High stress unpredictable job as a midwife on call 20days/month with frequent 24hr shifts. When not required to stay up all night I usually sleep 7-8 hrs. I also take 3-5mg melatonin every night.
    - Blood hormones low (estrogen, testosterone, progesterone) while recent salivary testing was low normal. Thyroid last tested as normal, iron normal
    - Work outs 5-6 times/wk. Combination of long cardio (trail runs, xc ski or spinning when I can't get outside due to work), light weights/ body weight training 2-3x/wk, HIIT 1-2/wk.
    - Cals 1200-1400/day 20% carb, 45% fat 35% give or take a bit

Should I try to increase my fats? Increase my carbs? Decrease the cardio (I find it really helpful for stress reduction..but it can feel like chronic cardio and a bit of a chore).

I finally feel like I have the body I'm "happy" with but just wish I had more energy to enjoy my workouts and stay awake past 930

Thanks in advance for the feedback folks!

Gladmorning is offline Senior Member
    I don't know a lot, but from what I've read, try eating more in general. See if it helps. Try carbs first, if that doesnt work, try other sources.
    The process is simple: Free your mind, and your ass will follow.

nburgraff is offline Member
    Decreasing the chronic cardio will deffinitely help out, especially if you have low hormone levels. Low Hormone levels are associated with chronically doing too much cardio or weight training or a combination of both. Increasing your fats is always helpful in my opinion, but you might just want to give it a try and see how you feel. Also your calorie count is pretty low if you are not trying to lose weight. With this much exercise you should probably eating more calories.
    You are also showing signs that your adrenals are being fatiqued with the fact that you have no energy, but find it difficult to sleep. This all goes back to stress and too much exercise. You might want to try taking a good adaptogenic herb supplement and see if that helps. You seem like you are hypercortisolic and taking these supplements help to regulate your cortisol levels.
    Do you find that you wake up many times during the night? and Do you also find yourself urinating a lot and getting big blood sugar swings? Possibly even sweating (especially like in the armpits) during times when you really shouldn't be sweating?

Hope some of this helps! Having low energy is not fun and hopefully the issue can be resolved so you can feel great!

ulnauy is offline Member
    Do you take weeks off from the running? I think just taking a week off from cardio will do you a lot of good. Considering how you are feeling I would even take 2 weeks off. You won't lose fitness in that time and it will give your body time to recover. The endorphins might help relieve stress but nonstop chronic cardio starts to break down your body if you don't take a break. Keep up the body weight training 2-3x/week and the HIIT 1x/week during this rest period. If you're worried about gaining weight eat a little less but IMO your kcal/day seems pretty low already. I don't think your carb/fat ratio is the issue here.

PrimalWannabeGirl is offline Senior Member
    1. Consider being evaluated for Lyme Disease and other infectious causes of fatigue.
    2. Your body is telling you that you are under-recovering. You need to rest. Sometimes we sacrifice our health for body aesthetics. It's not worth it. Take a week off from exericise! (If you panic just thinking about that, pay attention. It's a problem.)
    3. Learn to meditate. Seriously. I'm a physician and I've had more years of sleep deprivation than I care to remember. A meditation/relaxation practice goes a long way to counteracting lack of sleep. It's like taking 10 or 15 minutes to put your brain "offline" to recover.
    4. What nburgraff said.

Pea

anna5 is offline Senior Member
    Start eating more.
    Oh, people, are you insane? Some skeletons show up clicking, scaring humans. Insanity. Stress, exercise, no food. Smart.

Quote Originally Posted by nburgraff View Post
    Decreasing the chronic cardio will deffinitely help out, especially if you have low hormone levels. Low Hormone levels are associated with chronically doing too much cardio or weight training or a combination of both. Increasing your fats is always helpful in my opinion, but you might just want to give it a try and see how you feel. Also your calorie count is pretty low if you are not trying to lose weight. With this much exercise you should probably eating more calories.
    You are also showing signs that your adrenals are being fatiqued with the fact that you have no energy, but find it difficult to sleep. This all goes back to stress and too much exercise. You might want to try taking a good adaptogenic herb supplement and see if that helps. You seem like you are hypercortisolic and taking these supplements help to regulate your cortisol levels.
    Do you find that you wake up many times during the night? and Do you also find yourself urinating a lot and getting big blood sugar swings? Possibly even sweating (especially like in the armpits) during times when you really shouldn't be sweating?

Hope some of this helps! Having low energy is not fun and hopefully the issue can be resolved so you can feel great!
    I have always been a frequent urinator...since birth I do wake frequently but usually to pee...that being said, I also drink a big cup of mint tea and then a cup of Natural Calm Magnesium before bed so I likely am the cause of this wakefulness. I usally fall right back to sleep no problem and awake with the sunrise. In terms of sweating, I acutally don't sweat enough according to my ND. My salivary cortisol was normal when tested a few months ago. Shocking!
    I've been toying with the idea of reducing the cardio for a good chuck of time for a while now. It feels like a LEAP ! What I'm hearing from all of you is that it may help. In my heart I know this...just hard to take your own advice at the best of times.
    Cheers...much appreciated.

Darz is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by anna5 View Post
    Start eating more.
    Oh, people, are you insane? Some skeletons show up clicking, scaring humans. Insanity. Stress, exercise, no food. Smart.
    This. you should be eating more.

Hey man, I asked for positive suggestions...I'm satiated on what I eat. Eating more would feel like I'm forcing myself to over-consume which feels wrong to me.

anna5 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Meghanner View Post
    Hey man, I asked for positive suggestions...I'm satiated on what I eat. Eating more would feel like I'm forcing myself to over-consume which feels wrong to me.
    OK, I'll be positive - don't eat more.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast