Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Larabars page

Sherryl is offline Member

Larabars

Primal Fuel
    OK....I have a question for everyone...I saw a post about snacks for work..play ect. I was looking at the ingrediants for a Larabar and here is what I found:

Banana Bar = one whole unsweetened banana, almonds and dates.

Apple Pie = dates, almonds, unsweeted apples walnuts, raisins and cinnamon

Coconut Cream = dates, unsweetened coconut, almonds, cashews and organic extra virgin olive oil

Is this something that is ok.....or not....while doing Primal?

I know eggs, nuts, olives are great.....this would be just for a chnange once in a while. Thoughts please and thank you!!!!

TheFastCat is offline Senior Member
    there is a TON of sugar in larabars. Of them the coconut cream is nearest to acceptable because of all the fat. But even that has a lot of sugar. I think if you are an athelete or need a boost for your anarobic training half of a bar would be fine just before you start. Otherwise you will definitely be spiking your blood sugar with all that fruit and sugar.

This sugar things kills me everytime! I went on line and looked up the ingrediants and it looks all natural until you read the fine lines>>>>UGGGG.! Thank you. It seems anything pre-packaged stinks ! No short-cuts....REAL FOOD is going to be my motto from now on!!

TheFastCat is offline Senior Member
    well Larabars are real food... just not primal food. For what they are they are a great product imo. The creator actually was graduated a few years in front of me from my highschool.

There are posts here from athletes that swear by them when they need performance (athletic performance is very different than maintenance or weight loss!). If you need performance there is no denying you need carbs.

The goal with primal (and weight loss) though is to lower your insulin and carb dependency so that your body enters ketosis and starts burning fat instead of expecting carbs. Unfortunately yummy sweet fruit doesn't help to that end.

edit and I'm on the same boat as you! Just been doing it 8 days and each day I struggle to make "the right choice" I think by going lengths to try it shows that we are committed.
    Last edited by TheFastCat; 04-28-2010 at 01:14 PM.

This is good to know....since I am not trying to lose any weight and just want to keep my muscle and strength up! It is cool you went to highschool with the person who invented the bars. There is alot of talk about losing weight.....but....some of us (me)....am trying to hold on to my weight. A little frustrating at times....but...I will figure it out...EVENTUALLY!!! LOLO!! My performance at crossfit has gotten better since Primal and people are asking me what I am doing....love it!! Thanks again for your reply!

Chuck_S is offline Junior Member
    I'm with TheFastCat... Larabars are real food and real good! Just figure the carbs into your total just as you would a piece of fruit or any carb for that matter. The bottom line, Larabars are one of the "prepared" foods you can eat with confidence... even if it is only occasionally. And man does their Ginger Snap hit the spot after a long bike ride mmm good!

Helen in Oz is offline Senior Member
    I adore Larabars. I cut mine up into slices and will just have a couple of pieces along with some nuts, with my coffee. No dramas.

Mainer is offline Senior Member
    I use them as an emergency back-up for mountainbiking, hunting excursions, and skiing. I prefer Mark's primal bars instead but not always practical when its warm out.
    You'll never see the light if you're in someone else's shadow, or said another way, life is like a dog sled team, if you're not the lead dog, the scenery never changes

eva
    eva is offline Senior Member
    tons of fructose in aplastic wrapper.
    challenge yourself
    i blog here http://theprimalwoman.blogspot.com/

Bisous is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I have them at work if for if I run out of by baggies of seeds and nuts. Not for every day, but better than a snickers. Good for long bike rides, too, if you are in the midst of boinking.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast