Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Larabars page 2

GoodHealthyMe Guest
    Primal Fuel
    I used to be a Larabar fan but I found that I would gobble the bar in seconds and then be craving crunch and texture and salty things so I would chase that snack with something else. Kinda defeated the purpose of a healthy snack. I like Kind bars because they satisfy the need for crunch but they are very high in calories. My new favorite, which I stumbled upon, is a bar from Kardea Nutrition (www.kardeanutrition.com/bars/). Each bar is only 150 calories, and is natural and vegan. They are chewy, like caramel, so they take time to eat and are really satisfying. They have bits of crunch from nuts, oats, and fruit. I can't keep them in the house -- my family eats them daily!

Beefsister is offline Senior Member
    An occasional larabar won't kill you. True, it has quite a bit of sugar, but unless you are diabetic or trying to lose some weight, I wouldn't fret about having one every now and then.
    Remember, you are unique just like everybody else.

TxAgDuckman is offline Member
    Let's see......

Larabar product info:

Ingredients: Dates, Almonds, Walnuts, Unsweetened Cocoa Powder, Unsweetened Coconut
    No Added Sugar
    5g of Fiber
    Sodium Free
    1/2 Serving of Fruit*
    *1/4 cup based on USDA Dietary Guidelines for Americans 2005

Kardea Bar info:

Compare the total ingredients....the Larabar has FIVE, yes, FIVE total ingredients. Everyone talks about how much sugar they have, but it's all natural/non-refined/non-added sugar. I think I'll stick with my Larabars. I only eat 2 or 3 per week, but they haven't hurt my weight loss a bit. I'm down around 30 lbs in the past 6 weeks.

livingprimal is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TxAgDuckman View Post
    Let's see......

Larabar product info:

Ingredients: Dates, Almonds, Walnuts, Unsweetened Cocoa Powder, Unsweetened Coconut
    No Added Sugar
    5g of Fiber
    Sodium Free
    1/2 Serving of Fruit*
    *1/4 cup based on USDA Dietary Guidelines for Americans 2005

Kardea Bar info:

Compare the total ingredients....the Larabar has FIVE, yes, FIVE total ingredients. Everyone talks about how much sugar they have, but it's all natural/non-refined/non-added sugar. I think I'll stick with my Larabars. I only eat 2 or 3 per week, but they haven't hurt my weight loss a bit. I'm down around 30 lbs in the past 6 weeks.
    +1. I like Larabars. I can read the ingredient legend and know exactly what everything is. Yes, they may spike your insulin due to the sugar, but plan for that. I like to slice them up, and top them with coconut oil for a "dessert".

Jokaman70 is offline Senior Member
    I've seen them at the store and they sound good, I'll have to try them out. I'll buy one of each flavor, and try not to eat them all in one sitting!
    I began this Primal journey on December 30th, 2009 and in that time I've lost over 125 LBS.

Sherryl is offline Member
    Thank you livingprimal! I agree " I like the just 5 ingredients"........

Kev
    Kev is offline Senior Member
    I like Larabars , but if your trying to stay under 50 grams of carbs a day they eat up 1/2 or more of your total carbs. They taste really good, I have to be careful to only eat one. However, my kids really like them, I would rather give them one of these than a grain based granola bar.
    Strive for healthy today.

Satisfaction is the death of desire.

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    I don't have larabars right now because I'm trying to lose weight, but my groklings LOVE them and I feel good about throwing them in the diaper bag as a snack for them.
    Last edited by lil_earthmomma; 06-09-2010 at 06:10 PM.

Helen in Oz is offline Senior Member
    ugh, did you READ the ingredients on those Kardea bars? I don't care how many calories they do or don't have, I think the only primal ingredient was lemon peel. And what the heck is 'plant sterol ester'? I have a rule, if I don't know what it is, I ain't eatin it.

IMHO - given that I'm not a diabetic, don't have insulin resistance - a larabar is better than a grainy muesli bar if I'm desperate. (I've dropped them off my daily little treat list since last posting on this thread...) but if I keep a tupperware box of nuts in my handbag, desperation doesn't arise. Might be different for athletes who want the carbs. I'm reasonably sedentary so I'd rather save my carbs for something else.

Bisous is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Oh yeah, they are great for the kids. Brought one to the mall and the kiddos split one so they wouldn't have to eat the rancid veggie oil of doom in everything at the food court. Today I was attempting a 24 hour IF, and come 20 hours I was mentally foggy and icy cold, so I was glad to have a larabar in my desk drawer so I could finish off the work day on a better note. Looks like I should do a few more 16s before I go for 24 again.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast