Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Down with blood pressure page 2

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
    I was taking two medications for blood pressure last march and 240lbs at 5'11" with BP of 130/80. After three months I had lost 16lbs and the BP had dropped into the normal range. I contacted my doctor and asked which med I should stop. At six months I had lost about 35lbs and the BP was again in the normal range so I stopped the other BP med too. It's now steady at about 110/75. I also stopped taking statins. Lastly, I had late onset asthma and used a steroid inhaler twice a day. I decided to stop using the device in the new year and have not gone back to it.

It's obvious that the weight loss brought my blood pressure down. However, I put the asthma going away down to what I eat and how I exercise nowadays. I shall have a blood test this month to see how my cholesterol is doing after being Primal Lite for a year.
    Man, I can't believe you were on medication with BP at 130/80. I thought 120/80 was regarded as normal with the lower figure more important. At that rate yours would barely be elevated at all. Mine was up to 140/90 for years and my doctor never expressed much concern at all.

Nevertheless, congrats on all your health improvements, well done!

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    Yeah, I went from 160/100 to 110/80 in a year. I think it's primarily going lower carb and lower salt meaning less water (even though I liberally salt all my food now and never did before).
    Actually MM its interesting that I also literally sprinkle everything with salt. And my BP has come down from 150/110 to about 120ish/70ish.
    I wonder if there is alot MORE sodium in processed food than stated ???????
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

PrimalGrandma is offline Junior Member
    Congrats on the lower BP readings everybody! The less meds we have to take, the better as far as I'm concerned.

Even with vigorous exercise (cardio/gym 4 days a week) and a perfect weight my BP stayed high necessitating 2 BP meds since about 1989. When I went Primal, as soon as I dumped the sugar and all grains, my BP dropped to where it was almost too low. Off all those meds now and I'm 69 years old!

I think the exercise and optimal weight play a factor, but at least for me, nothing really happened until I dumped the sugar and all grains/legumes.

Mommyto4 is offline Member
    I developed high blood pressure just before delivering my fourth child last October. It got as high as about 190/115 at the hospital...VERY scary. I spent the next several months on different medications, but it wasn't until I went primal about 2 months ago that my blood pressure went down suddenly and dramatically. Within only a matter of a couple of days, I was able to stop my medication, and since then I've been getting readings as low as 107/63.

I know my blood pressure issues were related to pregnancy hormones so it probably would have gradually come down, but the change in diet really seemed to make a huge difference. I've lost only around 8 pounds (I was at an average weight to begin with), so for me it wasn't tied to weight loss so much as the change in eating. And interestingly, I was eating fairly healthfully before...except for wheat. I was eating wheat all day long (bread, bagels, Sun Chips, cookies, etc.). As soon as I stopped eating all gluten, my blood pressure plummeted.

MarielleGO is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    The doc took me of almost all my medication (still taking 2 of the original 7) 6 months ago... I started Primal 5 weeks ago... Tuesday I'll have my check up... I can't wait to see the results... I really hope my BP got low enough to stay off the meds...
    My story, My thought....

It's all about trying to stay healthy!!!!

Calories? Aren't that those little creatures that live in my closet and shrink my clothes at night?
    AN EARTH WARRIOR!!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12