Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why is my blood sugar plummeting? page 2

PrimalStudent is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Yep, facts wrong. You are experiencing hypoglycemia. That is why sugar clears the symptoms up immediately. Just start by adding some carbs to your meals, most likely that is all it will take to fix the problem. I really recommend fruit but and potatoes or other starch would do the job as well.

Also i disagree with Peril and think you look great, why are you on such a low carb diet?

EDIT: Choco beat me to it by a long shot, haha.
    Can I ask why you recommend fruit over starches? I always thought starch was preferable over sugar.

And I'm low-carb because in the past year, I've had to give up running (because of a knee injury), and I've been really worried that with my reduced exercise I'll gain weight. I tried to adjust by diet to VLC to relieve my anxiety about my reduced exercise.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimalStudent View Post
    Thanks Choco. I see your posts around all the time and everything inside me says "he's probably got a point... WHY am I eating spoonfuls of fat when it's not filling me up, when all I want is a few bites of potato?" but it's so easy to get scared by everyone on MDA who eschews carbs and says that carbs=weight gain.
    No. Overconsumption of calories leads to weight gain. And overconsumption comes from eating foods our bodies don't recognize (grain flours that provide little satiety) or highly palatable processed foods (chips, soda, Hot Pockets, etc). Eating real food, be it meat, potatoes, broccoli or apples, you should be able to maintain a healthy weight effortlessly regardless of macronutrient makeup assuming you're listening to your body and obeying real hunger.

I allow white rice and nixtamalized corn tortillas in my diet (that's up to you, but I find both harmless benign starches). Tonight's dinner was 4 corn tortillas, 8 oz of salmon, salsa, guacamole, an apple and 3 squares of chocolate (1 milk, 1 47% dark, 1 70% dark). I finished this at 10:00pm. It's 11pm now, so my blood glucose has only been dropping for about an hour. It takes around 2-3 hours to fully regulate (hopefully closer to two).

I'm already down to 100. I seem to be doing alright
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Zach is offline Banned
    Can I ask why you recommend fruit over starches? I always thought starch was preferable over sugar.

And I'm low-carb because in the past year, I've had to give up running (because of a knee injury), and I've been really worried that with my reduced exercise I'll gain weight. I tried to adjust by diet to VLC to relieve my anxiety about my reduced exercise.
    I believe you have swallowed every low carb paleo myth, hook line and sinker. Yes starches are just fine but fruit is quite possibly the perfect food. Fruits sugars are simple which is easier digested. Fruit sugar is glucose paired with fructose so it does not spike insulin as greatly as glucose alone, also fructose greatly fills liver glycogen (liver regulates blood sugar). Fruit is packed with nutrients, both vitamins and minerals as well as anti-oxidants (i have found it also greatly reduces inflammation, the whole sugar causes inflammation is crap, refined flour and corn syrup cause inflammation). And fruit just tastes awesome and does not require and preparation.

We as a species have been eating it for millions of years, long before starch. So dont believe all this anti-fruit, carbophobic hate. Any and all studies done on the ill effects of fructose have been done on pure fructose or absurd amounts of HFCS, never fruit sugar.

As for not being able to run. Can you bike, or swim or try weight training? VLC is not the answer for you.
    Last edited by Zach; 02-22-2013 at 08:25 PM.

Can I ask how much you work out, Choco?

And an ideal day of carbs would be, what... one piece of fruit, one starch...? I've had a look at the Perfect Health Diet and they suggest a few lbs of starch a day.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member

starch rapidly breaks down and has direct effects on leptin and leptin sensitivity. starch is fine, when well cooked though.

150-200g of carbs is a good amount if you're not doing heavy exercising
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Can I ask how much you work out, Choco?

And an ideal day of carbs would be, what... one piece of fruit, one starch...? I've had a look at the Perfect Health Diet and they suggest a few lbs of starch a day.
    3 times a week, 60 minute sessions. 75% of the time I'm sitting on my butt recovering. I sit on my butt at a desk 5 days a week, 9 hours a day.

There is no "ideal day" of starch. Find out what makes you feel best. You'll know if you're overconsuming because too much starch will make you tired and bloat (hey, you're overeating, it happens!). But when you take in the right amount, you feel better than you've ever felt in your life.

Typically after a workout, I eat about 800g of sweet potatoes, a plantain and a piece of fruit with a pound of protein, maybe some yogurt. I'm 26, 5'7", 150 lbs. For your age and if you lift (and I mean really lift, deads, squats, presses, etc), you'll likely feel best getting more energy from carbs than fat. Just make sure you get enough of each. I do fattier days when I rest, carbier days when I work out, but that's what I naturally crave. I find the more active I am, the more carbs I want and the less fat. YMMV. Keep trying til you hit that perfect feeling, but I promise you you're doing the opposite of what you should be doing right now in terms of macros!

Your food choices are excellent, just break them up with some starch and natural sugar.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Omni is offline Senior Member
    That's ringin alarm bells everywhere,
    Healthy body Healthy mind is rule #1 and until this is satisfied everything else is irrelevent.
    Mirrors and scales are the drivers of poor health.

Present your body with all the good primal foods and let your body choose and find it's balance, any arbitrary rulings and numbers you apply and enforce like a penal code as the formula of primal perfection & weight loss is not primal anyway, just another fad diet.

Some people go well with low carb, some high carb, some more meat, some more veg, you won't find your place if you blinker yourself with too many rules.

Dr. Harris over at Archevore eats puffed rice cereal (no, not Rice Krispies, but plain puffed rice) for breakfast many mornings. how does this sound as a way to get extra carbs?

Balance is offline Senior Member
    I have never tried puffed rice personally. What is wrong with grabbing some fruit? It would not only have simple sugars but also nutrients and fiber.

I also agree with Derpamix on the carb range. 150-200g of carbs sounds good. I am 5'10 160-165 and I normally get that exact range of carbs on a normal range. I used to run a lot like you (during my CW days), now I just do a lot of walking/hiking, one day of sprints, and 3 days of lifting.
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    I have never tried puffed rice personally. What is wrong with grabbing some fruit? It would not only have simple sugars but also nutrients and fiber.
    Yeah, that's probably a good idea. I'll have some tomorrow and see if it improves how I'm feeling. i adore bananas and plantains... are they legit by primal standards? I've heard mixed opinions

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast