Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Where I Break Ranks page

Rojo is offline Senior Member

Where I Break Ranks

Love this site and PB. I've lost weight without feeling deprive, developed a non-crazy workout routine, etc...

However, I break from PB on a few areas.

1. Standing -- I understand the risks of sedentary desk jobs. But standing, IMO, is not a good solution. Why? Well, because I hate it. It reminds me of Mass. And when would Grok just stand there? He'd walk, sprint, dance, lie, sit, swim. Mark has written about people in pre-industrial cultures squatting. I think he's on to something there. But standing? Bah.

2. BAS -- I love a huge Chef's salad as much as the next person. But, on the whole, I'm not big on the daily intake of rabbit food. When I first started PB, I'd make a BAS to go with my steak. Then I realized I could just take the spinach bunch and throw it into the pan with steak, butter and onions. What's lost? I think we should take our cue here from Mediterranean cultures -- small, tasty salads with fat. The BAS is the same American thinking, more is better, that led to the Super Big Gulp.

3. Abs -- Hmm, an anagram of item 2. Anyhow I don't get it. Putting this through the Grok-test again, how and why would a paleo develop washboard abs? You can lift heavy things, throw spears, swim, walk, run and you won't get them. To do that you have to do some sort of exercise that has no ancestral survival analog. And frankly I just don't like the looks of 'em. A flat stomach, yes. A six-pack, no.

Feel free to heap scorn.

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    why would anybody heap scorn?
    beautiful
    yeah you are

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Mr.Perfidy is offline Senior Member
    I hear you on the standing. Every other mammal besides man that I have ever seen assumes the most comfortable and lazy posture available in my experience. If you were standing around the fire, I'm sure a lot of men would say, "What the fuck is your problem? You are making us nervous, sit down fool."
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    I agree with it all, except about standing. I think in our modern times, we are too sedentary in comparison, so we need to do exercise somehow. The easiest way to break the sedentaryness at least is to stand. If you walk a lot every day or exercise heavily, I do think standing may be excessive.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodorchid View Post
    why would anybody heap scorn?
    Because we're supposed to keep moving, right?

Oh, wait. You don't mean that literally, like with a shovel or something.

Never mind.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Rojo, I don't think you're too far away from a lot of the views on here.

Eat your veggies and greens however makes you happy. If someone gets all butthurt because you don't eat them in salad form, then they need to get a life.

Abs? Meh. Though I would like to be a little leaner than I am now, I'm 48 and I think I've earned the right to not care if I ever have them. A lot of people eat Primal because they are trying to fix a medical issue and couldn't care less if their abs look great.

And standing. Another "meh" from me. I think the emphasis is more on moving, but that's my take on it. Standing in one place for extended periods of time actually feels like crap and I don't think it's a great idea.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Rojo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post
    Rojo, I don't think you're too far away from a lot of the views on here.
    Yeah. I'm really picking at the margins here. But I was bored.

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    But I was bored.
    the things that this old Gwamma could suggest for boredom...................................
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Mr.Perfidy is offline Senior Member
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    1. Standing -- I understand the risks of sedentary desk jobs. But standing, IMO, is not a good solution. Why? Well, because I hate it. It reminds me of Mass. And when would Grok just stand there? He'd walk, sprint, dance, lie, sit, swim. Mark has written about people in pre-industrial cultures squatting. I think he's on to something there. But standing? Bah.
    Well, we really aren't doing "grok re-enactment" here. In my own case, I actually practice standing to improve my posture. It can be incredibly helpful to do so. I spend about 30 minutes a day on just standing properly alone, which is a heck of a work out, let me tell you. LOL

This is, of course, because I've been working with a physio and getting training in something called Postural Patterning. I'm taking the training on how to teach others how to fix their posture, so I spend a lot of time working on my own.

That being said, I don't have a standing desk or anything like that. I sit at a desk. But I also make sure that I get up and stand at least once an hour (practicing posture), that I walk throughout the day, and of course, I teach yoga classes, so there is movement in there. I also do yoga once a day and I do pilates twice a week, and what not and wherefore. So, I'm not really quite as sedentary as some may be.

2. BAS -- I love a huge Chef's salad as much as the next person. But, on the whole, I'm not big on the daily intake of rabbit food. When I first started PB, I'd make a BAS to go with my steak. Then I realized I could just take the spinach bunch and throw it into the pan with steak, butter and onions. What's lost? I think we should take our cue here from Mediterranean cultures -- small, tasty salads with fat. The BAS is the same American thinking, more is better, that led to the Super Big Gulp.
    I think this is largely a matter of taste and desire. Yesterday, we cooked two heads of broccoli and half a head of cauliflower for our family dinner (3 folks). we also had steaks. We wanted more veggies. We ran out of this delicious veg. Other days, there are left-overs. Sometimes you want more, sometimes you want less. I don't feel like it's a matter of needing to "Big Gulp" anything. FOllow your tastes and hunger cues, and you're good to go.

3. Abs -- Hmm, an anagram of item 2. Anyhow I don't get it. Putting this through the Grok-test again, how and why would a paleo develop washboard abs? You can lift heavy things, throw spears, swim, walk, run and you won't get them. To do that you have to do some sort of exercise that has no ancestral survival analog. And frankly I just don't like the looks of 'em. A flat stomach, yes. A six-pack, no.
    This is also like 2 -- it's a matter of taste. My husband loves to lift weights. He LOVES it the way I love yoga (and now standing and doing pilates -- lol!). He also loves the idea of gaining muscle without gaining fat, as well as being leaner from doing primal. As such, he loves that he's this 8%-ish body fat and can gain muscle. And yes, he has an 8-pack.

Interestingly, I never figured that I would get all six-pack-y. But, since I've been working posture, and apparently getting leaner through no express effort -- I'm starting to see it.

I dont' think of it in terms of "it must be a goal!!!!" but rather, you know, if you want it and/or it happens for you, then ok. And if not, then OK too.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast