Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scratchy Throat page

nikitakolata is offline Senior Member

Scratchy Throat

Shop Now
    I'm definitely getting a cold and I have a very scratchy throat right now. I've been drinking tea all day but that's not doing the trick. Does anyone have any good remedies to help lessen the annoyance of having to cough every 15 seconds?

Paleobird Guest
    Fresh ginger infusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Fresh ginger infusion.
    So how do you prepare that? I like ginger but it's not something I usually cook with and I'm not sure what you mean. Do you slice it and infuse it in tea? Or something else? Maybe it's the cold reducing my brainpower, but I need more of an explanation, please.

Paleobird Guest
    Yes, just slice it thinly or grate it and boil it in some water. Drink like tea. I hope you feel better soon.

vintageeats is offline Member
    Honey. Raw honey. Just straight up, a spoonful, followed by small sips of hot tea. Don't put the honey IN the tea because it kills off the beneficial stuff :-) When my throat gets scratchy, that's my first line of defense. Lately, gargling with salty water has been helping too. Feel better!

Paleobird Guest
    Actually, combining the above two suggestions is really good too. Ginger tea with honey. I don't think it kills off the good stuff unless you boil it together.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Yes, just slice it thinly or grate it and boil it in some water. Drink like tea. I hope you feel better soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by vintageeats View Post
    Honey. Raw honey. Just straight up, a spoonful, followed by small sips of hot tea. Don't put the honey IN the tea because it kills off the beneficial stuff :-) When my throat gets scratchy, that's my first line of defense. Lately, gargling with salty water has been helping too. Feel better!
    Thanks! I'm going to try both of these. Honey first because I'm at work and I happen to have honey here at my desk. I'm going to try the ginger when I get home though, I love ginger.

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    I've heard wonderful things about oregano oil used at the onset of a cold for preventing full blown nastiness.
    Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Source Naturals Wellness Oil of Oregano, 1 Ounce

meeshar is offline Senior Member
    My husband had strep throat a couple of months ago, tested and diagnosed by a doctor. A few days later, I started getting a sore throat myself (white bumps and all). Loathing antibiotics and doctors, I made a syrup with crushed garlic, raw local honey, and a pinch of cayenne pepper. By the next day, it was gone, white bumps vanished. Oddly enough, I think the *raw* honey was key because I had made him the same syrup when he initially had the sore throat, but I didn't have any raw local honey, just some store bought. By the time I started getting sick, I had picked up the raw honey at the farmer's market, so that's what I used in mine.

StephenHLi is offline Senior Member
    All very good suggestions offered....

My tip is something not oral ingestion related.

*Upon the onset of scratchy, itchy or sore throat.....

Find point Lung 10 - this point lays on the fleshy meaty region of the thenar eminance adjacent to the thumb joint, located at the midpoint of the thenar eminance bone of the thumb between the red and white skin regions.

- apply aggressive pressure on point LU10 and massage in counter clockwise circular motion....you should feel a nice (or not so nice haha) sore/tenderness type sensation at the point.

- as you are applying pressure, execute swallowing reflex to feel any difference in symptom/sore throat intensity (usually reduction in most cases).

- apply this pressure for 30 seconds and repeat 3-5 times, every hour or 2 hours throughout the day or until the symptoms resolve.

In most cases, aggressive and immediate intervention at LU10 will deter an itchy, scratchy throat from turning into a full blown sore throat with painful swallowing reflex.

In active cases of sore throat, massaging LU10 point will provide relief.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast