Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scratchy Throat page 2

Unamused Mouse is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Oil of oregano works for me to avoid AND treat a cold. A few drops held under the tongue for 20-30 seconds, take a swig of water and swish around, then swallow.

It also works for my bf, mom, RMT...

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    Hydrogen peroxide in the ears... have to do right at the start of symptoms! Has worked for me!

OTC Guide to Common Medical Conditions: Hydrogen Peroxide to Fight Colds and Flu

slowcooker is offline Senior Member
    Is this a joke? Rubbing the palm of your hand is going to help a sore throat?

Quote Originally Posted by StephenHLi View Post
    All very good suggestions offered....

My tip is something not oral ingestion related.

*Upon the onset of scratchy, itchy or sore throat.....

Find point Lung 10 - this point lays on the fleshy meaty region of the thenar eminance adjacent to the thumb joint, located at the midpoint of the thenar eminance bone of the thumb between the red and white skin regions.

- apply aggressive pressure on point LU10 and massage in counter clockwise circular motion....you should feel a nice (or not so nice haha) sore/tenderness type sensation at the point.

- as you are applying pressure, execute swallowing reflex to feel any difference in symptom/sore throat intensity (usually reduction in most cases).

- apply this pressure for 30 seconds and repeat 3-5 times, every hour or 2 hours throughout the day or until the symptoms resolve.

In most cases, aggressive and immediate intervention at LU10 will deter an itchy, scratchy throat from turning into a full blown sore throat with painful swallowing reflex.

In active cases of sore throat, massaging LU10 point will provide relief.

janie is offline Senior Member
    Thank you, StephanieHLi. Perfect timing for me as a sore throat started this afternoon and I found you method helpful.

Slowcooker: it is acupressure, similar to acupuncture which I've also found to be effective. Eastern medicine has much to offer.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    As soon as any of us get a scratch in our throat, we have olive leaf extract and it stops it.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Graycat View Post
    I've heard wonderful things about oregano oil used at the onset of a cold for preventing full blown nastiness.
    Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Source Naturals Wellness Oil of Oregano, 1 Ounce
    Yes this works well too, you can get capsules. I use it when my candida comes back also, and it kills it pretty quick.

Quote Originally Posted by janie View Post
    Slowcooker: it is acupressure, similar to acupuncture which I've also found to be effective. Eastern medicine has much to offer.
    Yep this, it does work

StephenHLi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by slowcooker View Post
    Is this a joke? Rubbing the palm of your hand is going to help a sore throat?
    It is not a joke.

When people are in distress, sometimes trying something "new" or "unorthodox" is necessary. Try it, if it doesn't help, don't do it anymore. You didn't lose any hair off your cat.

Sometimes, it is also not the most important thing to understand "why" or "how" something works. Sometimes, if it works....then it is just enough.

There are multiple ways people have tried to explain the mechanism of how or why acupressure, acupuncture, meridian and qi energy work.

Sometimes the end result is the most important factor, especially if a person is in distress and especially if the method to achieve that the result is virtually risk free.

nikitakolata is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I hope others find them helpful too. I actually never got to try anything but the honey because the scratchy throat was gone by the next morning. That's definitely one thing I've noticed since eating mostly primal, I don't get sick as often and if I start feeling bad it doesn't last more than a day or two and isn't nearly as severe. I can't wait to get back into my own house and get back to 90 to 100% primal (living with my parents makes PB much harder to stick with right now).

paleodog is offline Member
    Sleep. . . Sleep

TornadoGirl is offline Senior Member
    My favorite throat remedy is gargling with cayenne pepper in warm water. I use 1 teaspoon in about 4 oz of water. Gargle several times and then drink it. After the burning stops (which is intense) the pain is much relieved. I had a bunch of people around me with strep and treated myself with this.
    True healthcare reform starts in your kitchen, not in Washington. ~Anonymous
    The worst carrot is better than the best candybar.--TornadoGirl

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12