Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I just finished my first PF workout. Feedback please. page

TrackMom is offline Member

I just finished my first PF workout. Feedback please.

So I've gone out and bought a pull-up bar. I have absolutely no upper body strength. I did my assessment 2 days ago, and confirmed I have no upper body strength. So as a female, my assessment indicated that I start with knee push-ups, 2-legged assisted chair pullups, bench squats and hand/feet planks.

I'm not sure just how much time I am suppose to be spending on each movement, so I decided to go for exhaustion, and my time between reps was minimal, because I want endurance.

**If any veterans to this program could clarify for me amount of time I should spend on each movement trying to obtain my goal reps, it would be appreciated.

Round 1

Knee pushups - 15
    Assisted pullup (2 legs) - 5 (how embarrassing is that. I told you I had no upper body strength.)
    Bench squat - 55
    hand/feet plank - 25/23/18 (my arms started to give out)

Round 2

Knee pushups - 18
    Assisted pullup (2 legs) - 5 (this really is embarrassing)
    Bench squat - 55
    Forearm/feet plank - 25/23/25 (my upper body strength failed me. my poor wobbly arms couldn't hold me, in part because they were tired from the push/pullups and well you know the other. So I switched to forearms, because then i felt like the focus was off my arms and on my core.)

I won't bore you all with my workout everytime, but I am hoping for some direction in what I have and haven't accomplished. I know I worked hard when I was doing the exercises, but I finished so quickly, that I am feeling unfinished.

Thanks.
    Goals:

Lose weight/fat!
    Get fit!
    Regain my health and energy!
    Run a marathon! (again)

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    There was no help in the book on how many reps to do? If not, I bet what you are doing will show improvement.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member
    PBF lift heavy things is not a timed work-out, is for reps - going up to 50 for some of the excercises, which is well into the enduarance range.

I have always gone to failure on PBF till I've reached the target at the level I'm on, and when I can do 3 round of the target reps I move up to the next level, It's probably advisable to actaully stay doing the target reps for a couple of weeks rather than rushing on to the next level as this will further train all the joints and tendons at this level before pushing up the resitance so less chance of injury and you'll get more reps at the next level too. I didn't know this when I started and haven't gone up a level apart from squats for a while now.

FWIW I started PBF LHT just over a year ago - I started on wall push-ups (only for a couple of weeks) 2 leg pull ups and wall assisted squats, I can now do about 40 full push-ups, 10 chin-ups and I'm damn close to a pistol squat (I can get off our low bed one one leg) So I have been right at the bottom and I'm nearly at level 4 for everything now It works
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

Thanks Tribal Rob. So the fact that I only did 5 two legged pullups is ok? I'm not in a rush to push to the next level, but if I should be pushing harder to get the recommended reps then I will.

I thought I had read on this site somewhere that you should not spend more than 3 minutes on any given movement, but I can't find it again, and I can't find it in the e-book. So this is where my real confusion is setting in. If i allow up to 3 minutes for each movement, I could likely come much closer to reaching the recommended reps, with minor breaks as I go. Then the goal would be to complete the movements without the breaks. Once that has been achieved several times, start working on next level.

So which is right? Just go to exhaustion and move on, or push for the most reps you can in 3 minutes or until goal is reached and then move on?
    Goals:

Lose weight/fat!
    Get fit!
    Run a marathon! (again)

Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member
    I just go to exhaustion/failure, though sometimes I split the target up into sets, for example I might do 25. the 15, 10 push ups with a short rest to make 50 reps, then increase the first number untill I get to the target of 50 reps without stopping over a few weeks- this normally leads to servere soreness the next day, which isn't nesassary for progression, but it does show how hard you have worked.

Nothing wrong with doing it for time or as an AMRAP (as many reps as possible) work-out, though I would only do one round at first, 3 mins is quite a long time to do the primal full body movements. 4 movements at 3 mins, that 12 mins solid work-out, add andther 3 lots of 2 min rest plus warm up and cool down and you are hitting a 30 min work out, so I'd stick at one round for now if you are new to this and want to be able to move the next day

Having said that I think I will change one of my next PBF workouts to a 3 min AMRAP
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

hilliardjoe is offline Junior Member
    From page 55 of the Primal Fitness ebook:

Rest During Sets – Try to knock out all your goal reps in one go each cycle. If you can’t get there in a single shot take a short break and then add to your total. Take as few breaks as needed to get you to your goal number. Never take more than about three minutes for any single set, and if you’re only adding a few seconds or a single rep to your cumulative total after a short break then you’ve reached the end of that set. Move on to the next set in the cycle once you’ve either reached your goal number or have reached the max reps you are able to complete within a reasonable amount of time.

I just got done with my 3rd LHT workout last night.

I'm on Level 1 for all the exercises but for the pullups it is almost all legs since I have no upper body strength and weigh 287. I was told that I may not be able to do a real pullup until my weight gets much closer to normal.

Thanks very much hilliardjoe. I knew I had read this somewhere, and just couldn't find it again when I was scanning the book. I figure it will be a while for me too before I can do a full pull-up. When I started 11 days ago I was 204 lbs. I'm not going to look until Easter. I do know that my pants are starting to get loose, so that's a good sign.

So are you completing your goal reps with your 2-legged assisted pullup?
    Goals:

Lose weight/fat!
    Get fit!
    Run a marathon! (again)

itchy166 is offline Senior Member
    "Just" doing x number of reps in any excercise is just fine. Aim to do more every workout - its the progression that matters, not the starting point
    "It's a great life, if you don't weaken.". John Buchan

neilc11 is offline Senior Member
    everything everyone above said,
    and,
    WANT IT,
    I've been doing the self assessed personal first rounds and started low reps like you,
    at about 6 months later I am approaching and stepping up to next levels,
    want it,
    it's a journey.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    FWIW, I am not doing that program. But I started out weighing a lot less than you (carrying dead weight makes a huge difference) and quite strong for a woman. I have been working on chin-ups for months, and only after I start doing them will I move to pull-ups.

This is a long-term project. You can't rush it. The most important thing is to keep working on it as you lose weight.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast