Thread: Whey Protein Post-Workout in Fasting Window? page

mrhtower is offline Member

Whey Protein Post-Workout in Fasting Window?

Shop Now
    Hello all,

I am currently following a leangains-esque intermittent fasting and workout routine (while only eating wonderfully delicious primal food, of course). Specifically, my workout is nearly identical to the one here: ‘Three Day Split RPT’ Routine | RippedBody.jp
    Basically, it's a 3 day barbell routine focusing on heavy as you can Squats, Deadlifts, Bench Press, and Chin-ups.

At the same time, my feeding window every day is less than or equal to 8 hours, and my fasting window is greater than or equal to 16 hours. I usually only fast for 16 hours, but occasionally fast 24 hours. Also, I often eat for only 6 or 7 hours. I've never been as healthy or fit.

Now, due to a few schedule complications my workouts usually end while there are about 90-120 minutes left in my fasting window. Ideally, I'd have them end when my fasting window is over or after... but for now that is not possible.

My question is, for optimal muscle growth and fat loss, which of these two methods work better:
    1.) Continue fasting post workout. Eat large primal meal after. (Lose any benefits received from fast-acting whey).
    2.) Consume some whey protein post workout (in fasting window). Specifically, something similar to the one Mark offers. Continue "fasting" til window is over.

Today, I gave in and succumbed to the chocolaty temptation that is my True Athlete- Natural Whey Protein.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    The Lean Gains allows consumption of about 50 calories in the fasting window. I used to mix a scoop of whey (poor man's BCAA) in a cup of water and drink that prior, in the middle and after the lifting session as described in some deep burried LG article.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Toshison is offline Member
    I don't think you are likely going to find a recommendation that is backed by anything more than just an opinion.

So, my suggestion is that you keep doing what you are doing (with the whey shake post workout), monitor your progress and if you are making gains, keep doing it. If it stops working, change it up, maybe ditch the PWO shake and see how that goes. Just be honest with your progress and ultimately base your decisions on progress rather than popular opinion.

When I first tried leangains style eating, I thought it was awesome but then my strength started to decline and progress flatlined so I stopped. I like it and agree with Berkham that adherence is important and its easy to stick with because I like eating at night and not so much in the morning. But Im skeptical in the belief that its the best way to improve body composition. I think it is definitely "one" way to do it and if it works it works but Im not so sure I would call it optimal for me based on my own experiences.