Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to Substitute 50 pull-ups? page

Leida is offline Senior Member

How to Substitute 50 pull-ups?

Primal Fuel
    Folks, today's x-fit workout has 3 rounds of 50 pull-ups. Even if I put a rig on like minus my entire weight, I doubt I can do 50. I can do like 15 with half my weight taken off (assisted rig). They also have it super-settled with rower, which is on the 2nd floor of the gym. So, equipment availability is not there. My options:

1) Row 3 clicks (1 set of row is 1 km) then go and do 3 sets of pull-ups to failure with half weight taken off
    2) Row a click, do 50 OHP with a super-light bar (20 lbs?) or even military press with like 5 lbs dumbbells 50 times.

what is the best emulation of this super-human workout?
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

TheFastCat is offline Senior Member
    so.... your first crossfit WOD shouldn't be a hero wod... seriously. Theses are 30+ minute painstorms designed to test you, not make you more fit. so don't do Hamilton. but if you were going to do Hamilton:

sub your pull ups with jumping pull ups

as a beginner I would substitute your 3k row for 3 - 333m rows - 3km would kill your intensity
    use a light bar for your OHP - is it OHP or push press?

here's a better WOD for you today:

7 minutes of burpees - as many as you can possibly do - killer workout with no equipment necessary
    Last edited by TheFastCat; 02-22-2013 at 09:40 AM.
    ad astra per aspera

OHP is an OHP, just a straight lift for me.

This in not my first WOD, I followed it since last week, just the first that is >30 min long. I just do what they post, it's fine so far with some modifications to accommodate for the upper body inadequacies. I can't do 50 jumping pull-ups, particularly 3x in a row. Another option is lateral pull-downs - I can do 3 sets of 50. I used to do 6 sets of 15 for Ultimate Diet workouts.

EDIT: Already did burpies yesterday with deadlifts instead of snatches.

1 km on a rower is my normal warm-up, so I don't see how 3 clicks is gonna be a problem.
    Last edited by Leida; 02-22-2013 at 09:46 AM.

TheFastCat is offline Senior Member
    You don't have to do them unbroken - you are allowed to rest. Other options include ring rows (if available) or using bands to assist your pull ups.

go get um!
    ad astra per aspera

Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member
    3 rounds of 50 pull-ups is insane by most everyones standards. I doubt there is many people who can do that.

How about 2 leg assisted pull ups on a low bar?
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

I will still come up short for the 3 sets. I was good for about 8-10 of them after a workout (3-5 sets), so on fresh, I might eeck out what, 15... and then yeah... 10x this much... I am gonna sleep in the Smith Machine enclosure. Unless high school crowd is plugging up the Smith rack anyways. I have a hard time imagining 150 reps on upper body anything to be honest, particularly if I manage to put in 150 push-ups at lunch (even crappy off the knees one), which is what I am about to go do now, the run part with the push-ups. If you don't see me around after lunch worrying about the rower-pull-ups part, you know what killed me.

dml
    dml is offline Senior Member
    You must have assistance bands that you can use. If you really took almost all of your weight away with the bands, I think that 3x50 is doable. I've done Eva, which has 150 pull-ups. I used a heavier than normal assistance bands. And, I broke the sets up. By the last 30 (Eva has five rounds of 30), I was doing them in groups of 2 or 3 and then resting. But, you pace yourself, you persevere, and you get through it. And, if you are really new to CF, perhaps you should be scaling to 25 pull-ups per round. If your coach is not OK with scaling when appropriate to prevent potential injury, you need to get out of that box.
    Last edited by dml; 02-22-2013 at 11:40 AM.

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member
    This is why Crossfit gets a bad rap. A workout like that is inappropriate for 99.9% of the population.
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

Heya, I am not in a box, I am just me, taking the wods from the website.
    I did the first half (3 runs: 14, 7 and 7 min) with 50 girly push-ups in between, some sets off the bench, some on the knees. That wasn't terribly bad. The first run was very long since I went off asphalt and hit the icy-crusty snow in the park. Stayed on the cleared pathways for the other two circles.

I think I am too clumsy for the bands.

I think I will just use the assisted pull-up station. It is not as good as a free weight, I know, but it is easier to set up, and I won't worry about the band snapping in my face. We'll see how it will go and how many pull-ups I can do all together before my 50 min are over, lol. I will switch to pull-downs if the machine is opened and I can't put all 150 reps in.

Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Al_Kavadlo View Post
    This is why Crossfit gets a bad rap. A workout like that is inappropriate for 99.9% of the population.
    Just you can Paul Wade then Al?

Leida - you could switch to Lat pull downs or assisted pull-ups depending on what your goals are, if you are just looking to improve fitness then these are excersise and all excersise that dosn't hurt you is good, but I don't feel using machines is really benifical to completeing the the actualy bodyweight excersises, which require more stability and use far more differnt muscles than an isolating weigtht machine
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast