Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Non-Primal Husband with Stomach Issues page

murf73 is offline Senior Member

Non-Primal Husband with Stomach Issues

So, my darling husband is not primal and has stomach problems when he consumes certain things. When he eats coconut oil, coconut milk, oily meat, eggs, other oils he gets a stomach ache and has indigestion and then burps for hours. I don't know what to feed him anymore! All of the food he can't eat are foods that make me feel good and all the foods that make him feel good (grains) I can't eat. What should I do??
    Other than that he is a pretty healthy guy. About 5'9" and 150lbs and is physically active and does things like chops wood and haul heavy things. I just don't know what to feed him!

unchatenfrance is offline Senior Member
    My non-primal DH (5'10" and 160 lbs on a good day) has some gastro issues too, although it's not usually fatty foods that bother him. We think it might be undiagnosed IBS, but doctors have been useless and insist he's the healthiest person in the country despite his gastro issues, crappy immune system and a host of other things. He's pretty much voluntarily dropped grains (except a slice of toast in the morning and the occasional bowl of cereal) but this hasn't resolved his issues. Have you looked into the possibility of him having IBS or other ailment?

Also, what is oily meat? I gotta say, that doesn't sound appetizing to me, and my stomach could digest rocks. :-)

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Sounds like he's not producing enough stomach acid or bile or something. Hypochlorydria is the name for the former. You can take Betaine HCl or ox bile or both, but I'd do some research on my own before choosing to go one of those routes.

When I say oily meat, I mean meat cooked in oil like butter or olive oil. And not even in excess

AuroraB is offline Senior Member
    I second the thought of low stomach acid. He could even try a shot of apple cider vinegar before meals to see if that helps with digestion.

specsAreGrok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AuroraB View Post
    I second the thought of low stomach acid. He could even try a shot of apple cider vinegar before meals to see if that helps with digestion.
    I was gonna suggest after meals, but same suggestion. shooting it straight can be off-putting, so I will put a capful of ACV in a shotglass, top it off with tapwater and shoot that if I get indigestion.

Quote Originally Posted by AuroraB View Post
    That's an interesting idea... maybe that would help.

frenchie79 is offline Member
    you said he is not primal, is he eating wheat and dairy??
    5'7'' 130 lbs, primal since August 2011

My journal:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread78819.html

JennGlob is offline Senior Member
    Most meat doesn't need oil or butter, so just leave it off his. Don't get me wrong a buttered steak is a dream, but not necessary to make it good. Also, have him read this weeks success story, kind of sad really but eating primal has helped him.
    Primal since 4/7/2012

Starting weight 140
    Current weigh 126

www.jenniferglobensky.blogspot.com

Jennifer

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Ever considered it is just the different microbiota make up each of you have because of your different diets.
    If he feels fine eating the foods he eats, then likely nothing wrong with him.

It takes a while for the microbiota to shift over to different dietary intakes, so unless he is keen to switch to primal, gradually that is, then you really can't determine if he actually has a fat digestion condition.

Although, just re read your OP, the egg thing is a bit of a question, do boiled eggs have same effect?

What is his cholesterol like, if he is in the low range, that may be a clue as it is essential for bile production & fat digestion?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast