Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey (gopintos) page 8

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    OK, so a really crazy week and weekend for weight loss/gain.

After my tooth flare-up, I gained 6.4lbs over the course of just a few days. This continued until after I got it pulled on a Thursday, Friday morning was the highest weight. Then over the course of the next few days, as things healed a little and I have been taking amox., as of this morning, I have lost 5lbs.

I never made the connection before, that when I would gain weight from some unknown explanation, and blame it on this or that - that it might be inflammation, and more than likely my gums. I just suffer through the flare-up, it eventually goes away, well it never goes away but it lessens.

Anyways, I am continuing on. This starts the 3rd month of FMD. Weight loss has not be all that spectacular (now maybe I know why) but inches have been going down and I am very pleased with that.

At some point, I think I am going to stray just a little and add a few things back in, just to see how I do, but for the most part follow the schedule of more carbs a couple days (low GI carbs) and a couple days of mostly protein and veggies, and a few days of more fat.

I am pretty much eating the same foods as before, just minus a few things. Things like green tea, cottage cheese, greek yogurt, just things like that. Maybe even throw in IF a day or two, see how that goes now. That really stalled me before, my weight loss efforts, but I never did a refeed of carbs. I just chronically kept calories and carbs low. But I learned that I could maintain, so that is a good thing I guess.

So now that my eyes are more open, maybe I can add in another few things that I think are good for overall health, and not just weight loss. If it doesnt work, then I will know that for now I need to just stick to weight loss, get rid of the extra pounds that I want to, or most of it, and then I can focus on the health aspects. I think I am fairly healthy - except for my gums.

Anyways..... thanks for checking in on me.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    Hey there hot stuff, sorry to hear about the gum trouble, but just wanted to
    pop in and say that your daughters are absolutely gorgeous!

Julia

Quote Originally Posted by InSearchOfAbs View Post
    Hey there hot stuff, sorry to hear about the gum trouble, but just wanted to
    pop in and say that your daughters are absolutely gorgeous!

Julia
    OMGawd I missed you!! What have you been up to??? Oh, and thanks

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    OMG!

Your message box is FULL!

I can't pm you.

THE HORROR!!!

I was heading out to mow yesterday, and I really liked my hat, so I tried to take a picture. No Glamour Shot w/makeup or anything, just another day in the life. But just when I start to get bummed about how much journey is left, it is nice to remember where I started and how far I have come.

l1868097676.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have sort of been teetering up and down lately. Things were headed down until my toothache, then went up. But then I got that back down.... but then back up for some reason. Now heading down again. 3lbs just since yesterday. I do think inches have gone down and stayed down. I have been way more active lately, including hours (most days) of yard work, and water aerobics class 2 nights a week for 75 mintues each, PLUS my own version of water aerobics in my pond each day for 30 - 60 minutes (except on class night) I dont feel like it is chronic cardio. The water feels great - it is hot here, and I feel like moving when I am in it.

So anyways, I decided to do something a little different the last few days. I hadn't fasted for a long time. So I had what others might call a cheat day. However I would rather think of it as a strategically executed nutritional consumption procedure. But really, the only thing I had that was a no-no was a spidgeon of blackberry cobbler with a smidgeon of icecream. The scale went up .4 that next day, then a fast day of about 36 hours, 3lbs gone this morning, and today I have been hi-protein/low carbing.

So not FMD guidelines, but I just felt like it.

ok, so where was I.....

I don't even know. Not even sure what to type, just felt like stopping in.

Scale... hmmm I don't know. Sometimes it is my friend, sometimes it is not. All in all, we are getting along. I pretty much weigh daily, and I can see things like the 5 yellow jacket stings? That added 2lbs overnight. But here today, it is back done and it took an extra .4 of it's fat friends with it. (hoping fat friends)

Clothes.... hmmm I don't know. I think even when the scale goes up, clothes are still fitting better. I got my fat @$$ into one size smaller jeans, but between you and me, I think it is just the brand/style, or whatever.

Mentally...hmmm I don't know. Actually, this one I think I do know. I think my head is in a good place. I am not stressing fat loss, or eating this or that, and I wasnt really stressing it before, but it was always in the forefront of my brain. Everything I did, most things... and most of my thoughts all day long, was about my journey.

It still is to some degree, but I am not really following a "plan" and I think I feel like my head is in a better place.

And I hate to even type that, and I hate to even say the scale is going down, because every time I do that, it starts to go back up. WTF is up with that? It is like I totally jinx myself. That first happened December 2012 when I just knew I had this weight loss thing licked. And I blogged about it (bragged maybe?) and damned if it didnt bite me in the butt. Everything completely halted.

Okay so we have talked about that before so I will move on.

So anyways, I am just eating. Good foods. Though I found out yesterday that my CO is refined, bleached, and deoderized. That was a bummer. Sort of. Sort of a good thing. Since I added it in last March (2012 March - when I found primal) my fat loss has slowed down. My cholesterol has risen. So you think it was the CO? I am thinking mayhaps it might have been.

I have taken some principals from different "plans" that make sense to me, and my scale is moving down now, me thinks. I am happy with some carbs, like fruits, so I have 1 - 3 per day, and I try to keep it to before noon. I do like PHD and eating them around sunset, and I do have a few at dinner sometimes, like quinoa, so I am just keeping an eye on it.

I am eating anywhere from 3 - 6 times per day. Sometimes breakfast. Sometimes I break fast at 6 or 7, sometimes 10, or 12 even. Sometimes I exercise before breakfast. Sometimes after. My jury is still out on that one, as to what I believe about that. I can see both arguments and I have no way of knowing what is right, so I just go with it.

I don't do 6 meals. I do like 2 or 3 "meals" and then the other might be a carb & protein snack in the a.m., and a protein & fat snack in the p.m.

Many times when I do break fast, whatever time it is, I tend to have more calories at breakfast, than lunch and dinner. So will be watching that.

Yes I also watch my calories, and I am trying to eat more actually, based on my activity. But who knows if the activity calculators are correct, I still haven't bought a fitbit yet. So I don't eat as many as they say I should, but I do try to get close-ish. And so sometimes that means an evening snack. Protein/fat. And this seems to be helping me to sleep better. Calories vary each day.

Resistant starch - taking 2-3TBL per day. I can't really say if that helps, but overall I feel good, and the plumbing seems to be working well.

Sometimes my snacks are a protein shake. I don't know what I think about that, but I think it is tasty and I enjoy it.

I have sort of reverted back to where things were working before, before I thought I could do better than 8 - 10lbs per month. I have to say though, the last 15/18 months that I have had virtually no progress on the scale, I think I still learned alot, things I can apply now. And I learned how to maintain about a 60lb weight loss.

So anyways, reverting back... means eating fruit, but I am still well under Mark's curve, and it makes me feel good. But I am also fairly active. But I never know if my activity is Moderate, or adequate, or enough, or intense enough... I just don't know. But I have started to do my tabata again, on my elliptical. So that gets me my "sprints". I work outside alot, so that gives me my "lift heavy things" I am in the pond most daily for at least an hour. I make sure I am moving the entire time.

Okay, so eating fruit. A fair amount of veggies. I have a garden and they just taste awesome to me. I don't need butter on them to make them taste good. I just cut out the CO starting today (well yesterday). Going back to Olive oil for those times I need oil. I love meat but right now trying to stay with leaner stuff. And the protein shakes help me bump up my protein. Not sure how high it should be, don't know if that is necessary, but I like the protein shakes, and they are so easy and ties me over till dinner on about 125 calories, which an apple would do also, but I am trying to not have carbs after lunch therefore I can grab a shake if I don't feel like turkey, or something.

So basically, my macros are coming in around a 3-way, once again, though some days the carbs are higher but most days carbs are a little lower. The main thing for me I think, is to watch the fat. And most of my fat before was coming from my CO, and if that was crap in a jar... well it could explain why I was having trouble. So now that I have cut that out, I am anxious to see how this goes.

Some days though, protein and even fat is higher, with low carbs. I am eating a fair amount of eggs. Sometimes I think I could do those all day long. I might try that next week, after I see how this week goes. Sometimes I think I might like to try tators again for a few days, but again, want to see how this goes.

But mostly, I am staying on top of things. Like my carbs and fats, and what time of day, and after what kind of activities. I know it is not as easy as just eating, or just following someone else's guidelines, but these are the things that was working for me before, and I am hoping that by getting back to them now, I will see some results.

I tried to get back to them before, but I think I had messed up my metabolism and thyroid royally. FMD helped me with that I think. Now I know to stay on top of refeeds. Up the carbs once a week. Maybe even the good fats once a week. Carb nite is interesting, and maybe that is sort of what I am doing, I don't know. No, I dont think they have much fruit do they? I only have 1 - 3, some days I try to just stay with protein/fat, like mostly turkey or mostly eggs. Sort of depends on what I have in the house that needs to be used up. One of my protein powders is a banana, and that is good enough to give me my fruit fix on the days I want or need to be lower carb.

So anyways, I think I benefit from lower carb, but have to remember to throw in a higher carb day. I think I definitely benefit from restricting the fat. I didnt have butter for 20 years, so I don't need it now, or much. CO, didnt have it before, don't need it now unless I can find some good stuff but I am not going out of my way to order any. (We dont have a Costco, and I live about 60miles from a Sam's) Olive oil, going to add that back in. Right now my fats are coming from eggs, and my meats.

I have legumes and beans again. Always soaked overnight. I mean who doesnt do that anyways? I was losing weight when I added them back into my diet, so trying it again.

I tried to revert back to this before, did I say that already? But it was after I had been low low carb, and low low calories for a long long time. Result? I gained 9lbs. But I dont think it was all fat gain. I think it was a "reset" of sorts that I needed, so now I think it might actually work again. I don't know.

Yes, I don't know much. I do know I am only 6lbs lighter than a year ago. Ugghhh. But I feel pretty good. And I feel like I might be able to lick this thing. I think the summer and all the outside work has showed me that I need a fair amount of activity. I do believe it is mostly nutrition, but I think maybe I need to be diligent about the fitness aspect. Before, the more I exercised, the hungrier I was. But now I have a grip on hunger, and which foods do it for me, so even if I do a fair amount of activity, I think I know what I need to be eating. And eating is okay. The calories adding up is okay.... so long as I continue to make good choices. And splurges are okay also, and necessary even, so long as I make it work to my advantage.

Okay, babble babble babble.

Glad we could have this chat though. I think I feel pretty good about my journey, and I think I know what I need to do to get the rest of the way there. But I am not going to say that, because I don't want to jinx myself
    Last edited by gopintos; 07-23-2013 at 04:26 PM.

5.2lbs is 7 days. Not too shabby right? (Actually 7.2lbs if you include the 2lbs gained from the 5 yellow jacket stings)

I am pretty hungry today. Another 3.5 hours working outside, lots of lifting and this and that. So today seems like a natural place for a few more carbs, then drop them back down for the next few days. No crazy carbs like cookies and pizza. I've had two bananas. Thinking about sweet tator for dinner, that sort of thing.

I wasnt really that hungry until this afternoon. Most of my activity was this morning.

Ok, so I haven't been using CO this week. I did tell you that I quit because I learned that what I buy is RBD? (refined, bleached, deodorized)

I found this, this morning. It makes me feel a little bit better about the stuff I have been using for the last 15 months or whatever. And I read it on the internet, so it must be true.

3. MYTH: Refined coconut oil is not healthy, only unrefined or virgin coconut oil is healthy. This is generally not true.
    FACT: Most of the coconut oil in the world is RBD (refined, bleached, and deodorized) coconut oil, which has been in the food chain for many years. Most of the original research done on the health benefits of coconut oil have been done on RBD coconut oil. The medium chain fatty acids in coconut oil are the most potent source of nutrients found in coconut oil, and they are for the most part the same in RBD coconut oil. The refining process might strip away some of the other nutrients, such as antioxidants, but the medium chain fatty acids are what makes coconut oil unique, and you still get these in most refined coconut oils.
    The one exception is hydrogenated coconut oil. Coconut oil is primarily saturated (85-90 percent), so most of the time there is no need to hydrogenate the other 10-15%. This mostly happens in tropical countries where coconuts originate. Coconut oil has a melting point of 76 degrees F., and in many tropical countries the ambient air temperature exceeds that. Therefore, foods prepared with non-hydrogenated coconut oil will not stay solid at common air temperatures. Hydrogenation can occur to make foods more shelf-stable. With the current knowledge regarding the dangers of trans-fats in the US, I don’t think there is much, if any, hydrogenated coconut oil being imported.
    Many of the negative studies done on coconut oil in the past were done on hydrogenated coconut oil, or on diets fed animals where no Omeg 3 fatty acids were supplemented. As I wrote above, Omega 3 fatty acids are not present in coconut oil and need to be added to the diet elsewhere.
    There is so much positive about coconut oil that is backed up by solid research and tremendous anecdotal evidence, that there is no reason to propagate myths regarding the nutritional benefits of coconut oil.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Geesh almost a month since I last posted!

So, what have I been up to. Well let's see.....

We have house guests, time undetermined. Along with that comes drama of a teenage girl. Geesh, was I ever like that? My girls had their own drama I guess, but not this much I don't think.

I have been keeping busy. With horses, house, yard, garden, garden club, saddle club..... I think I get plenty of exercise. But since I still don't have a fitbit or equivalent, I still don't really know.

So I still dont really know if I am eating enough for my exercise. SP says no, but I worry that maybe the expenditure is overestimated..... I dont know, but that makes me try to keep calories in check. And I am not hungry either really.

What am I eating? Just food. Good food. Seasonal Food. I did do a couple of days of tators, and the scale moved down. Then I had watermelons ready from the garden. So I have been eating lots of seasonal produce.

Looks like I am down 3lbs from a month ago. At least it is going down, so I should be happy. Maybe in about 5 years I will be at my goal. At least until then, I dont think I will die from something like heartattack, diabetes, etc. I guess every day I really do get better and better, healthier. And over the course of a few weeks or month, I might actually be getting smaller.

I try to cycle the calories, cycle the carbs. I am probably eating more fruit than I should. Like half a small watermelon ha. I try to stay away from bananas, though I could eat them all day long. Not much dairy to speak of. One cup of coffee per day, with almond milk. I try to keep protein high, fats probably on the low side according to PB standards. Carbs are net, anywhere from 71 - 175. Fats are 26 - 98, bouncing from about 17 - 50%.

I really don't know if I should be trying to adhere to a certain plan or not. Like Carb Nite for example. Fast Metabolism Diet helped me in that it got the scale to move down again. It also really helps me bounce back from a "refeed" sort of day. It is not as detrimental on the scale as it use to be, and takes a fraction of the time to get it back off again. I would do that again, but the fat days do a number on me. Maybe if I just did like one or two fat days, and the rest protein/veggie days.

Things I think I have learned. This is probably a broken record.

But I think I am trying to get back to a place where I was when I started my journey before PB. I have learned alot about foods, not doubt. But I think I don't do as well as some do with the higher fat. I maintained just fine, but I can't lose with higher fat. Carbs -- I am still not sure how I feel about this. The carb argument makes perfect sense to me but my carbs come from veggies and fruits. I don't do breads, pastas, etc. I am okay with sweet tators and tators on a day with more activity, I get that. So I think I am eating more of a low-glycemic type diet. And try to have a day of higher carbs, which works well on a Sunday.

I read somewhere, every 4th day to refeed. So I don't know. Can't work that into a schedule really. Maybe I could do a moderate increase like on a Wed, and then Sunday for a full blown refeed.

Just yakking. I have mostly just been eating foods, and trying to pay attention. And in looking at this past week, on the 4th day, I was extra hungry and had a few more carbs than the previous days, few more calories also.

I still wonder if I am getting enough calories. I dont count veggies for carbs or calories. I have some 1200 days, 1500 days, yesterday was 1899. I had one 2000 calorie day, which in looking at it, it was all good food, no crap. It helps that SP changed their tracker to "talk" to your exercise, so you can see what you need to eat. I still hate to, and I dont most days, but it helps me to see it I think. That if I am still hungry, I still have calories left for the day.

And calories. I know they are not created equal. I dont get calories and how I feel about that, but it is about the best measurement that I have at the moment.

I am done yakking. It goes nowhere. I do feel good. I feel discouraged when I think I should be done by now. Giving up is never an option cuz I have completely changed my lifestyle, so there is nothing to give up on or anything, and I try not to focus on the weight loss aspect but I do. It seems to make sense to eat things that will get me closer to goal, so I do focus on it quite a bit, --- ok, all the time -- because I am just not sure what that is.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast