Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey (gopintos) page 4

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Ok, so I had my bloodwork done yesterday. Will know more come Monday.

I am thinking more and more, I messed up my thyroid. And I was just reading on ways to fix it. Iodine? Could it be that simple? I have some sea kelp, but hardly take it.

My nurse practitioner suggested maybe it is time to drop the calories back down. If that is the case, I am thinking of doing a few tator days to a week, starting Monday. I have been loving the 1600 and 1800+ days too much I am afraid. And I should be losing weight, some kind of weight, even if only a minute amount of weight, with those calories. Instead I still am teedering up and down with the same few pounds.

I guess it is possible that is not high enough based on my activity. My activity comes in spurts sometimes. I get a wild hair and can go for hours and hours on projects here at home, physically demanding projects. Then I might not do much of anything for a couple of days.

I was trying to stick to a routine this week, but I petered out mid week. But I was still fairly active but it was more like pushing 1000lb hay bales out to the horses, rather than resistance bands. And instead of tabata, I sprinted daily to my mailbox, in the snow, about 12inches of snow. Now that was a work out, more so than I ever stopped to think about before.

So anyways, I only weigh 2lbs less than the last time I went to the doctor. Last August. I had on winter clothes today but I tried to find the lightest shirt and lightest pants I could get by with wearing with snow still on the ground My -2lbs from the other day, went back up .9 yesterday.

Anyways, so discouraging. That is 7 months of no progress.

My numbers were good last time except my LDL was through the roof. 175. She said it was one of the highest she has ever seen. So I am curious what it might be this time.

Well, that's all I got.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

I dont know if I am just noticing them, but there are several threads and a number of ppl that seem to be in my same predicament. I am guessing this is nothing new to the forum, I am just now paying attention, whereas before I didnt realize it pertained to me, or be prepared for it to pertain to me

The last thread, I can't remember it now, but someone posted about Carb Back Load, and I knew I had read something about it before, so I went to save that post in a word document, but it told me I already had something saved by that name. hmmm interesting.

Sure enough, it was Dated December 25. About the time I knew I had to do something different. I just read so much stuff, and save so many pages, and save so many notes, I just can't remember it all.

So, I have some good options. Any of them could work I think. I am sort of thinking of doing a Tator week. Or at least Tator Days then have dinner with DH. I would really like to do all tators. My thinking here is........... I have been enjoying the higher calories 1600 - 2000 even once in awhile. I am thinking maybe it is time to test the water and drop calories back down but thinking it might be a little more difficult, so that is why I am thinking tators. I know I will get full on 1200 or less even. I don't think that will get me back in trouble. It will just be for a week. I might even take some BCAAs.

I might do a little ST but nothing crazy. And if it quits raining, I will walk 30 - 45 minutes per day. I am doing a 5K walk/run in May.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Good luck with working out what you need to do to keep losing
    I have tried lots of variations of primal and LFHC worked well, but then I stopped losing as I think I was still eating too much. Now I have reduced my meal sizes, and really listening to my hunger cues, and have now lost just over 6 kg in the last 4 weeks, official weigh in tomorrow though. So for me, the answer was eat less. But you could need something else. I hope you are able to work it out soon, I know how frustrating this weight loss business can be.

Thanks for checking in on me!

So I weighed today. Havent weighed since Friday morning. And I am the exact same. And this is a number that I have seen 4 times this month, though I havent weighed every day. So I averaged the last 3 days, and averaged the last 10 days, and they are within about 20 calories of each other. 1700 some odd. Which is above one BMR by about 100, but below another by about 200.

So I am not sure what that means, but I am going to take it to mean that if I want to lose weight, I need to go back down below that. It appears to mean that is maintenance, though I don't think it really should be - not according to everything else I have read. And if 1700 maintains THIS body, I am in for trouble.

So I am going to try to do tators this week. Usually when I try that, I do fine all day, but then end up having dinner with DH. I really want to stick to my guns (umm tators).

Then I am going to do a combo of eating the majority of my carbs around sunset (dinner) which is sort of the carb back loading, and make sure it is after a work out. No workout = no carbs. I will ST at least 3 days, so those will be 3 days of carbs. Good carbs. I will limit things like my fruit on the other days. Some days I just really like fruit. I like an apple, a banana, blueberries most days. Sometimes I like an orange and a grapefruit. And some days I can eat all of those. And some days, I can eat more than one banana and more than one serving of blueberries!

But I am almost out of blueberries, so that will take care of that. I got a great deal. $1 for a 1# bag of frozen, so I stocked up. Imagine my HORROR yesterday when I reached for a new bag only to discover 2 left!

So anyways, I will save the bulk of my carbs for a ST day. I want to walk daily. I will do a Tabata at least once a week. I will calorie up on Saturday or Sunday. This is all after my tator week - so it might be subject to change.

I just had 200g of hash browns, with a concoction of a little ketchup mixed with balsamic. I am still kind of hungry, but decided to wait. Oh, that and my others arent quite boiled yet

I am going to try not to trip on the fat loss so much, and focus on the health & fitness aspect and hope the rest falls into place
    Last edited by gopintos; 03-11-2013 at 09:08 AM.

Ok, thyroid came back okay.

Bad cholesterol still high but not quite as high as before. It went sky high once I went primal, but the other numbers came down. So I posted about that last August & based on feedback I decided not to trip on it, but Dr wants me on a low dose statin.

marcadav is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    Ok, thyroid came back okay.
    What does okay actually mean? "Okay" may not be optimal.

Yal I don't know. She said it was 1.0, the TSH I think? and that would have determined if they needed more tests. I only researched that briefly so I really don't know.

Ok, so a tator day yesterday. Down .4 this morning. Yeah me!

But.... I had some nervous jitters this morning. I had to give a little speech/presentation deal this morning, and I was sort of nervous. And I opted for eggs. So I am going to try to curtail the carbs today, going for more fat & protein. I had my liver for lunch, with some veggies. Then I had a banana w/nut butter mixed in some cottage cheese.

Oh, my presentation went well. I was pleased

Ok, so.... haven't been around for a few days, or week or whatever. And I haven't weighed for one whole week. During this past week, I havent done any structured exercise. I have however cleaned like a mad woman, on more than one occasion. I have pushed 1000 hay bales out to the horses, rode my horse for 4 hours, things like that.

I cleaned because we had company. Family Dinner on Sunday. And we had a board meeting/dinner here the other night, and I went shopping with my daughter the other day and we went to Firehouse Subs. And yesterday I had 2 PB girl scout cookies, and last night 2 small flour tortilla shells. So in other words, I have had lots of non-primal things. I usually always eat primal, so it's like a month's worth of 20% in one week (maybe 2 months worth )

But also thrown in there, might be a day of mostly tators.

I had days I didnt even track... (what?!) and days that I did, were anywhere from 1200 - 2400.

So.... I was kind of anxious to see what the scale might say, since throwing complete caution to the wind. I really feel like I gained... alot.

Well.......... the scale went up .9 I was pleasantly surprised. Only .9 That could be because I haven't done my business yet today. After teetering this month, it is only .5 up since the first of the month.

So I am not happy with the up, but I have been eating alot more than usual also, and more non-primal than usual, and not very structured with my exercise for a few weeks also, and I am happy that it was only .9 because I felt like it was many many many pounds more.

So I am thinking, it is probably time to just take the calories it back down and keep it down, unless I exercise. Then add about 500 calories for every hour. Do some calorie & carb cycling. Calories I usually cycle naturally, but carbs not so much. I honestly really don't know how many calories I should be eating. I may try the calorie cycle chart first, and if nothing happens, follow Sparkpeople range which is like 1200 - 1550 or something. I lost most of my weight following SP and eating things like Pepperidge Farm Thin Wheats about once a day (which I never ate before I tried to lose weight) and chickpeas about every day (which I hardly ate before I tried to lose weight) And 3 cups of popcorn every night, and steel cut oats every morning for breakfast - both of which I hardly ate either. Never had the oats before actually, I had never heard of them before. But an oatmeal packet once in a great while, but usually I would just start my day with leftover fast food and lots and lots of sweet tea.

I do think first though, I will see how many days of tators I can do. My daughter, 28, was wanting to lose her belly poodge. And that is all she has, is just a little bit of poodge. I told her yesterday about the tators, and I think she tried it most of the day, but I dont know what she did for dinner. She is a science student, so I sent her the science behind it. So I am going to do it for at least as long as she does.

Ok, so here we are March 22. I weight what I weighed 2 months ago, and what I weighed 7 months ago.... ugggghhh So tired of this. It is just time to step up my game. I just have to figure out what that game is.

I dont think my body is "healing" anything, though it could be I guess. I was on the verge of high blood pressure, diabetes, etc but not anymore. The only thing now is that since going primal, my good cholesterol is way out of whack, which it never was before.

So anyways, I guess I am still talking in circles, whereas before I started typing, I felt pretty good about things

So tators are the easiest thing to do and just not think about, so that is what I am going to do. I never really could do it more than a day or two, or all day until dinner. So I want to just see how many days I can go. Even until dinner is an okay plan also.

I ordered some whey protein a few weeks ago, though now I don't remember why. I know I was reading on one of those women's sites that had been posted, the strength training ones and eat more calorie ones, and I thought I would order some, mostly to put in something else I think, though now I don't even remember why or what. Maybe it will come to me. I havent been reading about this stuff as much the past week or so either. I have mostly been working on saddle club stuff, so not much of this clogging my brain.

So I am going to try to stay unclogged for awhile, and just eat tators I think, or mostly tators anyways. I will at least do whatever my daughter is doing.
    Last edited by gopintos; 03-22-2013 at 07:36 AM.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Okay, so I decided to post here rather than the thread I typed this out for, which is the "A dilemma in which the poster is having success on Medifast, but wondering if they should go primal. Here is what I typed out but decided I should just vent my feelings here in my own little world:

If I had a do-over.... I would definitely stay on course with what was working for weight loss. But that's just me.

But I say this after I JUST got off the scale, and for the first time in over 1.5 years on this journey, I actually broke down in tears. So I probably should not even be typing now.

But I just knew I had lost weight, yet instead my scale is up 2 pounds. Which means that in over a year of primal, I have lost 8lbs. 8lbs! I was losing 8lbs per month before primal.

Am I healthier now? Yes probably. But blood pressure was coming down before, so was cholesterol and tri. Except now, LDL is bad where it wasn't before. I am not tripping on that, just saying.

I am just having trouble finding my groove back, so never mind me. But whatever I was doing before, was working. I thought I could do better, went primal and it slowed down. Thought I could do even better & went even LOWer Carb and even HIGHer fat, and it stopped. Now, I can't find anything that works.

Sure maybe it is vanity to only be concerned about the extra weight, but we are not talking a few vanity pounds. I really feel otherwise healthy, just went to the doctor a few weeks ago. The only sickness I have is that I am just sick of the extra weight and sick of trying to figure out what to do about it.
    So that is when I decided I should only post that here. And yes... I cried. I have felt like it on several occasions but today, when I saw the number I just couldn't help it, I immediately broke down in tears.

I don't even know what I am feeling right now. I have just put so much time and energy into this journey. I have been primal for a year, and now have lost a whopping 8lbs. OK. Let it out..... okay now breathe..... calm down, let's be rational, let's think about this.

Tators mostly on Friday. Good dinner.

Okay Saturday. Calories were in check, but I did have pizza, which I havent had in forever..... so that was Saturday for lunch. So this could still be some residual water-sponge-carb effect, right? I mean a 2lb gain would mean I had in excess of 7000 calories, and I havent even ate 7000 since Friday.

Okay...... feeling a bit better. But still. I am just soooo incredibly frustrated. My plan was to do tators during the day, and then dinner, for this week. I am going to stick with that plan for now.

Glad we had this little talk. I do feel better. It is still just so aggravating though. 8lbs in 12 months. Probably some kind of record. I have devoted almost 100% of my time into this. Yes, something is wrong with that. I wanted to learn as much as I could, and I was doing so much better off when I just didnt know anything, except I had an idea of good foods and bad foods, CW standards, and that was working. Should I go back? I have wondered that on more than one occasion since about September, when I realized I am just not gaining any ground.

So, what would that mean? Well that would mean a serving of legumes most daily - maybe 2 even. A serving of wheat most daily. It would mean eating a damn apple.. or two or three and not stressing over it. It would mean eating fairly often. It would mean having energy to exercise. I hate cardio, but maybe that is what I have to do to get the weight off. We got more damn snow, or else I wanted to just walk, become a walker with a little jog thrown in there, but that hasn't happened yet but I like that idea.

Damn. Just so frustrated.

Shaun Hadsall. Anyone heard of him? He has a 14 day rapid fat loss, something or the other. ST day alternating with cardio day, carb cycling thing. Maybe I should try that? I also have Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle, or whatever that is. I don't know. I have been trying to cycle calories since January. But again, maybe calories werent high enough. I dont know what the hell they should be.

I do know, that giving up is not an option. I know good foods, I know bad foods, for the most part. So it's not like I want McDs daily or anything, so not going back to that. But I just thought that eating good foods, and not eating too much - I would have seen more progress than 8 effing pounds.

So right now, I am just pissed. I am not even crying anymore, I am just pissed.

Maybe it is time to just stop thinking about any of this at all. Time to focus on work or something again. I have spent 1.5 years trying to figure out my health. Maybe I just need to forget about it. It is what it is. Time to focus on my work and starting my foundation. I just really wanted to be in better health - better weight. I am healthy enough I guess. I dont feel like I am going to die in my sleep from a heart attack anymore.

And yes, the back of my mind is saying that maybe if I quit focusing all my energy on this, it will just happen naturally on it's own. That would sure be nice.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast