Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey (gopintos) page 2

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GoJenGo View Post
    Great to you posting again! I am so glad you're sharing your experiment with the board - I am amazed by how many women post about being in just about the exact same situation as you've found yourself. I really think you're on to something here, though. Looking forward to following the thread and reading about the success I'm hoping you'll have in this new chapter. (I have a strong feeling that you will... )
    Howdy!!

Yal I just didnt feel I had anything much to contribute. I am not the sharpest crayon in the box, but I love to read and absorb, I just don't retain very well. I formulate my opinion, and then discard the rest - all the whys and what fors. And even to share my experiences, I just didn't feel like I even knew what I was doing anymore.

And it is funny. I can read something a gazillion times, and it just doesnt sink in. I am guessing because I think it does not apply to me, at least not at that time. So I just dismiss it or skim over it. I think my answers are here, and have been here all along, I just couldn't see it.

So even this weekend, I was reading stuff for the umpteenth time, and it finally clicked.

Right now I feel like I am in a good place and headed the right direction. Thanks y'all for coming along with me on the rest of my journey! Better buckle up though. I think I am about half way there.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

GoJenGo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post

And it is funny. I can read something a gazillion times, and it just doesnt sink in. I am guessing because I think it does not apply to me, at least not at that time. So I just dismiss it or skim over it. I think my answers are here, and have been here all along, I just couldn't see it.

So even this weekend, I was reading stuff for the umpteenth time, and it finally clicked.
    Actually, I think you went about it the right way - if we start changing things every time we read something that makes sense to us, we will never truly see the results of each change and as a result have no idea what does and doesn't work for us. Those things may not have applied to you at the time - and even if they did, had you changed things up according to them, you'd have no idea which tweaks were responsible for any improvement or backsliding. Not to mention the fact that one tweak can always cancel out the other(s)..... The process takes time and impatience can be our number one enemy. I'm more convinced every day that it's THE biggest factor behind things we do that ultimately result in a whopping case of self sabotage!
    Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

calee is offline Senior Member
    [QUOTE=gopintos;1106720]OH hi!!!!! I know, so frustrating. The frustrating part to me, is just thinking that all this time, I thought I was doing good keeping calories in check, when in fact all this time they might have been too low. arrggghh

I have been using this calculator. Maybe the zig zag approach might help you also.
    Calorie Calculator - Daily Caloric Needs

I've looked at the zig zag in the past. I'll have another look. I think I naturally zig zag but my range is 900-1500. 1500 happens a couple times a month or when I have more decaf with heavy cream I can see close to 1400. I'm so amazed at how different/or/same we can be. I'm in the difficult loser club but I'm not throwing in the towel until I see the 130 something's.

Zig zag calculator
    Extreme fat loss range - 1168-1402. My experience is I need to be at 900 for even moderate fat loss of a pound a week.
    Fat loss - 1235-1602
    Maintenance - 1715 is my maintenance number. If I eat 1500 one day, I am up two pounds and it takes me 4-5 days to come back down the two.

It's tough to think about adding calories, right?

Actually, I think you went about it the right way - if we start changing things every time we read something that makes sense to us, we will never truly see the results of each change and as a result have no idea what does and doesn't work for us.
    I know that's right. Everytime I read something new, I would think OH! I need to do THAT! And I need to do that! And maybe if I did this and this and this... all together! ha

Quote Originally Posted by calee View Post
    I think I naturally zig zag but my range is 900-1500. 1500 happens a couple times a month or when I have more decaf with heavy cream I can see close to 1400. I'm so amazed at how different/or/same we can be. I'm in the difficult loser club but I'm not throwing in the towel until I see the 130 something's.
    A natural is good too. I think I was doing that before also, just on the low end of things. Now I am trying to make sure I keep the numbers up, even if it is a low day.

Quote Originally Posted by calee View Post
    It's tough to think about adding calories, right?
    Very tough mentally, but now that I have increased, I am like, How the h3LL did I eat too few before?!! And now I can't imagine going back! ha. That being said, I did have a day when I didnt get over 1300. But the next day I made up for it

Ok so where are we at? Well, the scale went back up a little. But I think it is due to my ST. My arms! Yesterday, I could just feel the tension in them. Like they were tight and puffed up all day, like I was flexing but I wasnt. And today too! Even a little bit sore but not really, hard to explain. But anyways, I had to have DH feel my guns yesterday.

So I am trying not to put too much stock in the increase. I am hoping it is due to the ST. I just can't believe that it is almost March, and not much progress. My friend came by the other day, and she was like so just how much weight HAVE you lost now. I saw her around the end of January. And I told her I really havent lost anything for like 5 months! So I do think things are looking different. I do feel different. I know the scale is but one tool, but I have enough left to lose that it should be still steadily going down.

According to my Wii this morning, I need to lose another 78. uggghh The b!tch. I think if I keep ST that I can pull it off with that being more like 48-58lbs. I was never a delicate flower. I was always strong and athletic and that is what I hope to be again. I have more of a goal look in mind rather than a goal weight.

So anyways, that is where I am at today.

Does anybody use Sparkpeople? It says my range is 1200 - 1550. And that is under BMR. So I just wondered about this eat your BMR business. When I started my journey, my range was higher, and I was eating at the top end, and weight loss was humming right along. And that was after the first 20lbs from cutting out fast food, etc.

Just confusing. More calories. Less calories. More Fat. Less fat. Should I try to go a few days of <50 carbs. I think I know enough now, that I could do HFLC again w/o adverse affects. Like, Make sure I eat enough. Make sure I carb up at least one day a week.

I don't know. I sound discouraged. But I am not, not really. I think the calorie increase was a good thing, I just am not sure how to maximize my fat & carbs. Today is a high calorie day. It is my tabata day also. I had 82g of carbs yesterday so I am thinking that since it is a high calorie day & tabata day, I should try to make it my high carb day too? Whatever that means. When I eat all the carbs that I want, I still hardly break 150 a day. So I don't know if to make that work, I need to try to go even higher? I still only eat good foods so carbs are never really that high in terms of grams anyways.

Just so confusing.

GoJenGo is offline Senior Member
    I was fortunate enough to discuss different scenarios (depending on how I wanted to switch things up with regard to macros) with the awesome Paul Jaminet, and one thing on which we agreed was how well it works to eat the bulk of my planned carb amount during the later part of the day - basically, a higher protein/fat breakfast, same thing at lunch but with a small to moderate amount of carbs added (I went with the small amount) and then the remainder of my carb intake at dinnertime. (You probably already know from your own experiences how much better many of us sleep with some carbs on board in the evening.)

Regardless of what my total macros are at any given time, this is how I'll always distribute them throughout the day. The high protein, high-ish fat breakfast is one of the most effective ways to keep my appetite in check and I just feel better throughout the day. I'm convinced that part of it is that it keeps my blood sugar very steady as well. I've had issues with hypoglycemia, which is how I wound up a low carber and ultimately ended up here a few years ago.

Great to see that you're not discouraged - I'm really eager to read about your latest mission!
    Last edited by GoJenGo; 02-28-2013 at 06:47 AM.
    Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

I was fortunate enough to discuss different scenarios (depending on how I wanted to switch things up with regard to macros) with the awesome Paul Jaminet, and one thing on which we agreed was how well it works to eat the bulk of my planned carb amount during the later part of the day - basically, a higher protein/fat breakfast, same thing at lunch but with a small to moderate amount of carbs added (I went with the small amount) and then the remainder of my carb intake at dinnertime. (You probably already know from your own experiences how much better many of us sleep with some carbs on board in the evening.)

Regardless of what my total macros are at any given time, this is how I'll always distribute them throughout the day. The high protein, high-ish fat breakfast is one of the most effective ways to keep my appetite in check and I just feel better throughout the day. I'm convinced that part of it is that it keeps my blood sugar very steady as well. I've had issues with hypoglycemia, which is how I wound up a low carber and ultimately ended up here a few years ago.

Great to see that you're not discouraged - I'm really eager to read about your latest mission!
    I love that guy! He is so willing to help, isnt he? I try not to over ask but there is much I would like to ask him haha

I am glad you posted. I try to follow this as well, but then just recently, as I get more into the fitness end, one said eat your carbs when your body is most able to process them, first thing in the morning and post workout.

PHD says light work out in the morning, heavier work out later, I think.
    I know he says eat most of your carbs around sunset and I do try to do that. I think I do sleep better.

I like that J. Stanton says to eat like a predator in the morning, not like the prey. And I find it's true, if I eat like prey first thing, then I tend to want to graze all day. Then I am certain a sabertooth would come along and eat me.

(btw he wrote a nice review of PHD) Book Review: Perfect Health Diet (Scribner Edition, December 2012) &#45; GNOLLS.ORG

Yesterday was a higher calorie day in my zig-zag. 1988 was my goal. I seemed to be hungrier yesterday. And really thirsty. So I was peeing all day like a Race Horse. Well I am guessing that if a race horse pees like my horse, he just pees alot at one time, and not all day long. I, on the other hand, did not pee a river at once, I just peed all day long... uggghhh

So anyways, just read on another thread, that might be related to salt, which I know I don't get enough of. But then another person says it might have to do with fat metabolism. That would be awesome! I vote for that one!

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1111037

So anyways, I went over my calories yesterday, but I know I did not eat enough veggies or even a BAS, so I could have saved myself some calories there. It was a tabata day, did I say that here already? So anyways, exercise just makes me more hungry.

I just can't imagine how I was evah full on fewer calories before. Just boggles my mind. So now I am wondering how I am ever going to cut them back down, if I need to. Couple tator days perhaps?

Ok so, I haven't weighed yet today. I would like to do my morning business first. BRB.

Ok, so my day before midnight, I had 2127 calories. eekgads! And over 20 cups of water

Then last night, I got up to check on my niece, who had to stay here because of the storm, and DH got up and stayed up, and I was hungry. I havent been hungry in the middle of the night for a year. So I don't know if I should count those calories for yesterday, or for today? It really was today I guess. But regardless I was just concerned what that would do to the scale.

I have also been having a bit more beef. And I think beef takes longer to do it's thing? So I might have a bit of a beef back-up ha.

I know what everyone wants to hear at breakfast time, or just before lunch.

Ok, so anyways, scaled moved -.2

All in all, I think I will end this month with a 3lb loss. Which I am happy for, dont get me wrong but I am still 6 or so lbs over my new low number. And this is a weight that I first saw at the beginning of October and here we are March almost. arrgghhh

My days start high fat. I just had 3 eggs, 1/4c salmon, and half an avocado. I am sort of thinking of keeping it a high fat day, maybe for a couple of days. It was either that or a couple days of tator.

Then I am thinking that depending on what happens by Monday, I am thinking maybe of a doctor's visit. To see if I messed something up. But I wouldn't know what kind of tests to ask for, but if I stay fasted, she might have some ideas and get some stuff checked.

Okay a bit more about me.

I don't take pictures. I would still rather hide. I did try to take some in November but they did not turn out well, but I will post here.

here is a before. I am guessing this was about my heaviest weight. The other was my first attempt at a cell phone picture. uggh but there you have it anyways.

l1658467478.jpg

l429929680.jpg

Since those probably won't post for a few weeks... I started my journey at Sparkpeople and I have those pics there. I have a few pics of my kiddos there too

GOPINTOS's SparkPage - FaT 2 FiT - One Woman's Journey

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I really get it about hiding from the camera. I'm glad you put up your pics and look forward to your progress pics along the way! You're very pretty.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast