Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reactive Hypoglycemia (Not Diabetes Related) page

idreamofsilence Guest

Reactive Hypoglycemia (Not Diabetes Related)

Shop Now
    Anyone else have this? I have some trouble with sleeping through the night. I have been waking up every night at exactly 3 AM from having dreams that I am eating food or bowls of sugar or doughnuts. I know that my blood sugar is low because I usually check it and then find something to eat. I do not eat dairy and I eat eggs in the morning so not interested in eating them at night.. and have not started eating any red meat yet since I have just stopped being a vegetarian recently, after 16 years. Any suggestions for night time high protein snacks before bed? (BTW, I am also pregnant, so I can't have certain uncooked/cured meats).

AuroraB is online now Senior Member
    I get this when really stressed.

You could try:
    - a snack of apple slices dipped in almond butter
    - mash half a banana, mixed w/ a beaten egg and 1 Tbs almond butter, pour into greased mug and microwave for 90 sec. (I know you said 'no egg at night' but maybe a different form of it...)

meeshar is offline Senior Member
    I have reactive hypoglycemia, but eating Primally has almost cured it, I rarely have episodes now unless I eat a lot of sugar (including excessive fruit) or starchy carbs. What did you eat for dinner/before bed?

idreamofsilence Guest
    I am in a transition period so I have still been eating vegetarian foods at night. Unfortunately, no amount of beans, lentils, or other starchy carbs (no matter how much protein they are supposed to have) make me feel miserable. The banana recipe sounds good, unfortunately, I am severely allergic to bananas! I do eat almond butter and nuts - was just trying to see if there were some extra suggestions. I am sort of afraid to going back into eating a regular piece of meat with my dinner. I am going to try chicken again tonight. Any good meats for dinner that would be a good starting point for a 16 year long veg nut?

idreamofsilence Guest
    I think once I start eating a diet without grains and actually am able to get used to eating meat again - my blood sugar will definitely improve. I believe my hypoglycemia has really been a problem and was caused by my long stint with veganism/vegetarianism. I might make a couple of hard boiled eggs for some extra night time protein for now. I can't wait to start living this new way. I know it will definitely improve me on so many levels.

Do you like fish? I've heard that transitioning former vegetarians tend to have an easier time starting with seafood, then poultry. Ground turkey or chicken meatballs would be good and you could have them around for emergency protein. You can add a lot of veggies to the meatball mixture as well.

idreamofsilence Guest
    I never liked fish as a child. I don't really know if I'd like it now, since I haven't really eaten it since I was probably like 12 years old! Actually, even years before that, because if my mom made it, I would eat something alternative since I just couldn't handle the taste of any fish. Any suggestions as to what you all enjoy? I have so many darn food allergies, I just get worried. I know shellfish are sort of out because I was tested and it came up positive. Any good like jerky kind of sticks that I can make at home good? I have a dehydrator. Or any that you can buy that aren't filled with tons of junk?

idreamofsilence Guest
    I wanted meatballs so badly last night, to try. Unfortunately, I didn't get paid until today. So I might try that as an idea, since I will be going shopping today. =) How do you make them?

AuroraB is online now Senior Member
    If you can't have the bananas, you could try pumpkin in place of it.
    Homemade Jerky - we have a dehydrator too and make jerky with ground meat. Either venison or beef. It's easier to eat
    (over-eat). We use a jerky gun and it lets you make it into flat or round sticks. I haven't made any for a long time and when we did, it was made using the box mixes with the cure in it. I'm making more soon but not going to use the box mix this time.

PrimalCon New York
    I didn't like fish growing up either, but as an adult I discovered that I do like mild, white fish like cod, tilapia, etc. I just bake it with lots of seasonings and butter or olive oil. I do like other fish, but only when it's really super fresh so I only eat it when I'm near the coast (or caught it myself). Raw tuna is excellent - doesn't taste fishy at all. I'm the same with salmon, I don't really like it unless it's raw or smoked, though salmon patties from canned salmon are okay. You may have to experiment to find your taste.

I found some good turkey jerky at Earth Fare, they probably have it at places like Whole Foods too. I've never made it myself but I've heard it's easy, here's a recipe for ground meat jerky made in a dehydrator, you could use ground chicken or turkey rather than beef: How to Make Ground Jerky in a Dehydrator | eHow.com

This is a good recipe for chicken meatballs that has a lot of veggies in it. You could use pre-ground chicken too. Spunky Coconut's Chicken Meatball Recipe - Elana's Pantry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast