Thread: First Paleo/Primal Chicken Recipe page

idreamofsilence Guest

First Paleo/Primal Chicken Recipe

Primal Fuel
    Hi! I am just starting to transition into this new life and was hoping someone could offer some assistance. I made some chicken a few days ago, but couldn't bring myself to eat all of it (I am a 16 year recovering vegetarian, haha). I tried to make a gluten free "fried" chicken (not so healthy, but thought this was once one of my favorite things to eat as a child and it might be easier to eat for the first time... but it wasn't.) I ate part of it and froze the rest. Now I have a new chicken breast thawing and was hoping for someone to offer up a recipe they think would be really really good for a first time non-fried, paleo chicken? I know nothing about this yet and am trying to do my best to get into the swing of it. Thanks for any suggestions!

Leida is offline Senior Member
    If it is a skinless and boneless chicken breast (the worst kind), and you are a a former vegetarian, I suggest that you slice it and stir-fry it with vegetables in a very simple way with a fat you like the taste off and top it off with some sesame oil and chopped nuts.
    You can also bake it in an oven, but it's just one chicken breast, with lemon-and honey rub or garlic and paprika... but it's just one breast, seems like a waste, really.

You might want to use juicier, more flavorful meats rather than breasts. They are hard to make palatable in small quantities.

If it's in skin and with bone, paper-towel dry it, salt it up and roast till done, frist 15 min at 450, then reduce temp to 350. Again, a pity for a single breast.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

idreamofsilence Guest
    Thanks for the suggestion. Like I said, I haven't eaten meat in 16 years, and really am trying to transition into eating it and making it at least taste good as well. Why do you continually say a pity or it's a waste? I don't understand.

Well, running the whole oven to cook just one breast. I cook for a family of 3 in batches, so I throw in 2-3 whole chickens at a time, two roasts.... just a different life. I am big on the BIG POTS kindda cooking.

Try little bits of different meat and fish and see what you like most. Chicken really is one of the least palatable choices. I would take any fish over it any day, as well as beef and lamb.

I would also suggest you cook it very plan to start with, salt and pepper and roast or bake, to taste the meat itself

idreamofsilence Guest
    Oh, I have a mini convection oven, so I don't necessarily need to run the whole oven for just one. I am also the only one in my house right now and cooking a bunch at one time just doesn't seem right to me, especially if I want to experiment with what I already have to see what I enjoy. Plus, I just like making everything fresh that I know I will eat in one sitting, ya know? My husband is a vegetarian, who won't be convinced to eat meat... at least yet. So for now, it is just me, myself, and I! Thanks for the tips though. I will try it out how you suggested. Any suggestions at this point are great! So thanks again. =)

It's great that you are experimenting. There are actually some advantages to your position - you can go for the real expensive meats in small quantities, and real gourmet experience! Me, I buy half a cow, a whole pig, chickens in bulk from the farms, and now trying to get half a lamb too, lol. Which means I cook a lot of plain cheap cuts in big stews, soups etc. I love them to be honest, but I miss small quantities complicated meals cooking as well, especially sea-food.

Have you browsed eatingwell.com - a lot of their recipes are good for one or two people, they have some interesting ideas, and a lot of it is easily stripped of flours and breads - or have paleo/primal starch replacement. You can search by meat or fish that picks your interest and give it a shot if it sounds good.

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    I second the stir fry idea. Chicken breast should be cooked hot and quick, otherwise it dries out in the oven. Whereas bone-in, skin-on whole or dark meat chicken oven roasted in its own juices will result in a juicier, tastier piece of meat. My family only cooks chicken breast if its part of the whole bird.

Try stir frying it with garlic, chili, cumin, salt...and a splash of lime juice at the end. And eat it on lettuce wrap tacos. Oooh! some carmelized onions and bell peppers would be good too.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

idreamofsilence Guest
    Thanks all. Really great advice and answers. I tried the suggestion with the lemon. I didn't have any honey so I added some fresh oregano from my garden, some dried savory from my garden and a little mustard powder in a rub and threw it in the oven at 350 for a little bit and checked to make sure it was cooked through before it got dry. WOW! It was delicious. I am definitely going to try the other suggestions as well. I am glad this was a great first real non-fried try. LOL!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    OOH, sorry for offtop, but I am sooo envious that you have herbs in the garden right now! Mine is snow and brown grass. I won't even plant herbs till late May. Though I have a heroic basil that overwintered on the window sill! So little of it left, I just grow it as a house plant, lol. I am entering this most itchy phase of a northern gardener, when you cultivate spring. Two months of checking the bulbs in boxes and looking at seeds in the storage and dreaming....