Thread: Is there any good science on irradiated food? page

Jennifla is offline Senior Member

Is there any good science on irradiated food?

Primal Fuel
    Mark's post today contains this section from Rich Food, Poor Food

"Specifically, irradiation breaks up a food’s DNA, vitamins, minerals, and proteins and creates “free radicals” (atoms, molecules, or ions that contain unpaired electrons and crash into each other, multiplying exponentially), which contribute to many degenerative diseases, including heart disease, dementia, cancer, and cataracts"

Free radicals are highly reactive and do not exist for very long inside a cell...that is how they do their damage. (I'm guessing well under a half a second). Irradiated food would not contain any free radicals. The free radicals that contribute to degenerative diseases are those that are produced inside of a living cell, such as through exposure to radiation or some chemicals.

The authors, I believe, are mixing apples and oranges. Irradiation is an ideal way to effectively "sterilize" food without using additives. I might buy the argument that nutritional quality of irradiated may suffer slightly. Depending on the energy of the radiation used, only the surface of the food would be affected.

Are there any good studies on irradiated food?

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    I guess the question I would ask without getting into studies and such; "when has man ever improved on nature?".

Doesn't usually work.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Since the moment humans picked that rock and used it as a tool to enhance their abilities.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Go Tribe is offline Senior Member
    As a PhD Chemical engineer, I think that for poor societies were survival may depend upon food not spoiling, I say irradiate. If you want to get picky about it, in the US, eat organic. I don't really believe that much damage is done in the irradiating process.

Of course, I think Climate Change is a bunch of media-generated hooey too.

LOL
    Started 9/15/11 at 323 pounds
    2/16/13 at 241 pounds
    Goal is 223 pounds or less