Thread: Weak knee and back page

Gladmorning is offline Senior Member

Weak knee and back

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Three years ago I took a nasty, nasty fall on the ice. It caused a fluid build up in my left knee and a weak back. Not sure what happened there. The muscle that got pulled is now easily pulled if I'm not very careful. I can tell if I lift something heavy, it twitches and threatens to pull again.

I read that squats are the best way to strengthen a weak back. . . but squats kill my knee. So, what the heck do I do? Also have about 100lbs to lose, so I'm at rather a loss as to what strengthen exercises I can do and not hurt myself for the time being. Should I still to walking for now, or?
    The process is simple: Free your mind, and your ass will follow.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    PBF plan for bodyweight squats will help rehab that knee.
    Planks will help you with your back problems to start.

Also, walking.

Losing weight is going to be the biggest benefit, especially as inflammation decreases, and the pressure on that knee decreases.

I know losing weight is the main key here. I try doing squats, but I have horrible knee pain the next day, just doesn't seem worth it. I am doing the wall squats. I can do 16 before my knee starts to spasm, and then, like I said, I pay for it the next day.

Plank... I guess I'll have to work on that one. Slowly.

vh67 is offline Senior Member
    I had problems with my knees most of my life before my double knee replacements. You need to slowly strengthen and stabilize them. Some of the exercises on this site were ones that my Physical Therapist recommended. Doing Quad Sets multiple times a day when you are sitting or watching tv really does a lot for stabilizing the knee, I do hundreds of those in my down time.

http://http://www.physioadvisor.com....bilitation.htm

If you are in that much pain after exercising, you are overdoing it. Also, Naproxyn worked great for me in reducing both pain and swelling. After you exercise, make sure that you ice both the front and the back of your knee.
    Last edited by vh67; 02-21-2013 at 06:29 PM.

Veelore is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gladmorning View Post
    Three years ago I took a nasty, nasty fall on the ice. It caused a fluid build up in my left knee and a weak back. Not sure what happened there. The muscle that got pulled is now easily pulled if I'm not very careful. I can tell if I lift something heavy, it twitches and threatens to pull again.

I read that squats are the best way to strengthen a weak back. . . but squats kill my knee. So, what the heck do I do? Also have about 100lbs to lose, so I'm at rather a loss as to what strengthen exercises I can do and not hurt myself for the time being. Should I still to walking for now, or?
    Sounds a bit like me, whats up with the back? Is it just weak in general, or is there a specific issue with it? Meaning scar tissue, connective damage, or just it acts up?
    Primal and deadlifting my way to health (hopefully)

Quote Originally Posted by Veelore View Post
    Sounds a bit like me, whats up with the back? Is it just weak in general, or is there a specific issue with it? Meaning scar tissue, connective damage, or just it acts up?
    They said there was nothing wrong with it technically, just very weakened by the fall, then I kept pulling out over and over again. I have never been able to find good info on how to strengthen it. I will try the plank progressions and see if that helps.

I feel like losing weight will help my knee, then I will be able to do more to help my back. Weight loss has been slow going.

Veelore is offline Junior Member
    Lowering weight will help quite a bit I am sure. It may be worth investigating if there are any compound movements you can do, in my case I can pull deadlifts off pretty well, though as with you squats can put me on my back for a good few days. Its not the squat that actually causes the problem I find, its that the knees are just so sensitive to anything afterwards.

On the back? Same again with investigation, it may be worth a go to see if you can do any weighted walking, say with just 5 or 10lbs in a backpack, though its probably worth getting some advice from someone more familiar with your particular problems before diving in. Could also be worth carrying the weight you recently lost only.

Unsure of compatability, but my back responds very well to deep tissue massage. You may find that getting your back eased off whenever it plays up will allow you to do more, and tame the issue.
    Primal and deadlifting my way to health (hopefully)