Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you eat post work out? page

dimples is offline Junior Member

What do you eat post work out?

Primal Fuel
    And how soon do you eat it?

Is it safe to not eat for several hours after a work out?

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    Just eat when you're hungry.

When I was training for a half marathon, sometimes I wasn't hungry even after long runs (9+ miles). I'd go home, shower, take a nap, maybe do chores... THEN I'd suddenly be hungry and eat. Other times I'd be hungry as soon as I got home and would eat before doing anything else.

I'm sure someone with more knowledge in muscle repair will have a different input to your question, but I don't eat unless I'm hungry - post workout included!
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

TheFastCat is offline Senior Member
    3-5 raw egg yolks immediately after

an hour later:
    2 cans of sardines in olive oil, two large raw carrots, 1-2 oranges, lots of water
    ad astra per aspera

relaygirl is offline Senior Member
    I pretty much just eat at noon everyday-so if I run at 5 am or workout at 10 am I just don't eat until noon. But maybe I am not maximizing a window there but I like to keep it regular.

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dimples View Post
    And how soon do you eat it?

Is it safe to not eat for several hours after a work out?
    Well it's not going to hurt you to not eat for a while. It's just more optimal to eat after working out. Usually if I'm not going to have a meal right away I have 10g of BCAAs.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cierra View Post
    I take BCAAs as well, except I take 5-10g (depending on intensity) before my workout. Should I take it after instead? Also, do you have flavored BCAA powder, unflavored, or capsules? I have unflavored powder that is hell to choke down!
    I doubt it really matters too much taking it before or after. I take a pre-workout, which has some BCAAs as well. After, I have unflavored powered BCAA, I mix it with milk and coco powder (unsweetened), so it tastes pretty good too me.

The big take away should also be not to get too anal about this stuff, unless you're a high level athlete, the .01% improvement in timing all this stuff isn't really worth the headache for most people.

Workout, Eat, Sleep, Repeat.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

jakey is offline Senior Member
    i lift weights twice a week. pretty intense sessions, too. i don't sweat the timing, i shower after i lift, then walk home and cook a proper meal. usually about a pound of steak with 2/3 lb of potatoes and a crap ton of vegetables, and a piece of fruit. high calorie, high carb, and high fat too. one big-ass caloric hit; my body processes it well.

tonight, i don't have any steak or meat at home (heresy, i know), but i do have a bunch of farmer's market eggs. 6-8 of those bad boys plus spuds and cheese and whatever veg is lying around. maybe fruit and a bit of kimchi to keep everything flowing.

basically, i think eating big after heavy lifting is good shit. i highly recommend it. even if you're trying to lose weight, don't make the post-workout meal the dieting meal. you can eat reasonably the rest of the time.

Kochin is offline Senior Member
    Nothing, smoothie, yoghurt and nuts, nothing, eggs and bacon... Pretty much what I would have for breakfast.
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
    I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
    I'd apologize, but...

primal_alex is offline Senior Member
    I eat 1 hour after workout, usually it is a dinner. I eat whatever I would have eaten any other dinner.

Sometimes, when I have freshly prepared yogurt or kefir (homemade of course) I take some spoons of it while I am cooking: no sugars (it is fermented), but still: caseins are insulinogenic, and insulin helps the proteins from the meat of the dinner to be metabolized overnight. A kind of natural doping :P

As always with the paleo/primal diet - the work is done for you. Forget your old rules that were applicable when you ate grains, dairy and sugar.

Eat paleo/primal when you feel like you need to eat. Your body is a repair machine. Just give it the raw materials it needs and don't put it into an immune emergency with toxic foods.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast