Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What do you eat post work out? page 2

judoka is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Protein shake with tapioca immediately post workout. Only reason for this is because I need to recover asap after each workout in order to be ready for the next. If I'm in the off season and I'm only hitting the weights, I'm a bit more chilled out as immediate recovery isn't a big deal.

I eat paleo/primal like always. Timing - whenever I'm hungry.

eKatherine is online now Senior Member
    Nothing. I IF every day, and I just eat more at my next meal if I am hungrier. I may change that if I lose all the fat I want to lose.

Ally415 is offline Senior Member
    I used to do 2 cups of semi-pasturized grass fed yogurt with berries or 2 cups of raw grass fed milk with berries and a banana. Lately I've been enjoying a smoothie:
    2 ripe bananas, 2 raw whole eggs, 1 tablespoon raw maca powder (to recover from the stress of the workout, hormones, energy, nutrients), 1/2 tablespoon Spirulina (from healthforce), sea salt, and cinnamon.
    if I don't have eggs I do raw hemp seeds like 2 tablespoons.
    so yummy and super refreshing.
    My Health and Nutrition Blog
    @ VIBRANTE
    http://viibrante.wordpress.com/

Ally415 is offline Senior Member
    There are some new studies that have shown that waiting at least an hour after a workout to eat increases more muscle growth. If I'm not hungry I don't worry about not eating right away. I eat when my stomach signals I'm hungry. I may just eat a banana or do a raw egg shot lol or drink some raw maca powder with water.
    At the end of the day of a workout is when I eat big.
    My Health and Nutrition Blog
    @ VIBRANTE
    http://viibrante.wordpress.com/

eKatherine is online now Senior Member
    I think that the small differences studies show may be less important that individual differences. Find out what works for you.

I'm on a diet site where people are always complaining in the forum about not losing weight. They do a big shake before and/or after their chronic cardio, adjust their calorie allotment up to compensate for all the calories they supposedly burned, then wonder why they are plateauing.

Kool is offline Senior Member
    A scoop of whey protein powder immediately after lifting.
    There's been many research which conclude that ingesting fast digesting protein will repair muscles quicker which will result in less soreness.

MouthDR is offline Senior Member
    I have 2 scoops of whey during the workout (resistance train about 4-5 days a week) with maybe 3-4 dates as well?
    Shower.
    Eat a huge meal for dinner - could be anything, but is always a meat/fish/eggs and some green vegetables.

I try eating carbs like sweet potatoes, but it's not for me. I don't like them enough to eat them that often. And I used to be very high carb in the past (pre-paleo) and never had any issues with the carbs (was very low BF all my life pretty much). However, if I am eating carbs, it's always in the evening after work/workout as it's most convenient for me.

That all said, I am toying with the idea of making my own "mass gainer" shake. Would essentially be 50 grams of whey, 50 grams of non-GMO waxy maize, and 2 TBSP of MCT oil, and I would be consuming two of these shakes a day.

Should be interesting...

Shadowknight137 is offline Senior Member
    Depends on the time of day and how I feel.

If it's after Uni, ie, later in the day, I eat a PWO equivalent to a pound of meat, kilo of potatoes (or cup of white rice), sprinkle of cheese, 125g (half a carton) of cottage cheese, half an avocado, an assortment (roughly 500g) of mixed, diced vegetables and salsa.
    If it's earlier in the day, like today for example, PWO is a bar of chocolate with my coffee. Like any other day.

Yeah, I don't take PWO meals all to seriously. Largest overblown part of the fitness community, IMO.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by MouthDR View Post

That all said, I am toying with the idea of making my own "mass gainer" shake. Would essentially be 50 grams of whey, 50 grams of non-GMO waxy maize, and 2 TBSP of MCT oil, and I would be consuming two of these shakes a day.

Should be interesting...
    Hmmm, do you think it is optimal to put something like fat in a post-workout shake, since this will delay the absorbtion of protein and carbs? When I eat lots of carbs AND fat in the night after a workout I get pretty poor recovery in the morning after, probably because the fat delays the absobtion of the other nutrients. This does not happen if I eat high carbs and low fat or high fat and low carbs, but something bad happens when I take in both high carbs AND high fat post-workout. It may be that the total calorie load get to high as well, most likely in a combination with a delay of the absorbion of nutrients due to fat...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast