Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 133

Thread: What are the best appetite suppressors?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    canada
    Posts
    29

    What are the best appetite suppressors?

    What kinds of foods help me feel a lot fuller so I don't over eat?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Portland
    Posts
    5,426
    Fatty foods and protein foods. Especially fatty protein foods.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Narberth, PA
    Posts
    5,623
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    Fatty foods and protein foods. Especially fatty protein foods.
    I strongly disagree.

    Fat IMO is not very satisfying. Case and point - 1,000 calories worth of bacon, cheese, nuts or sausage vs 1,000 calories of chicken breast, broccoli or shrimp. See which is more difficult.

    If you want to feel fullest on the fewest calories, focus on three things:

    1.) Protein
    2.) Water content
    3.) Fiber

    These are the things that really fill you up as they are typically high volume per caloric density. Great options are:

    1.) Leaner meats with high water content and protein per volume - chicken breast, pork loin, eye round, london broil, eggs, brisket.

    2.) Low-calorie roots and starches - white potatoes, squashes, carrots, parsnips, turnips. These things fill you up fast. It's like eating concrete, especially when boiled and mashed. Baking them into fries and such will greatly reduce the satiety because you cook the water out and you're now eating dense starch. Mix white potatoes and turnips - cube them, boil them and mash them for a low calorie, high satiety side dish.

    3.) High water content/high fiber vegetables - broccoli, celery, cucumbers, watermelon, cantaloupe. You can pack in huge portions with little caloric impact.

    Great foods to cut weight on - eye round, mashed potatoes, steamed broccoli, minimal added fat. It'll keep you full for a long time quality quality fat, protein and carbohydrate.

    Great primal foods to sabotage weight loss: chicken wings, bacon, sausage, cheese, nuts, bulletproof coffee, fried starches. These are high calorie/low volume foods.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    10,030
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    I strongly disagree.

    Fat IMO is not very satisfying. Case and point - 1,000 calories worth of bacon, cheese, nuts or sausage vs 1,000 calories of chicken breast, broccoli or shrimp. See which is more difficult.

    If you want to feel fullest on the fewest calories, focus on three things:

    1.) Protein
    2.) Water content
    3.) Fiber

    These are the things that really fill you up as they are typically high volume per caloric density. Great options are:

    1.) Leaner meats with high water content and protein per volume - chicken breast, pork loin, eye round, london broil, eggs, brisket.

    2.) Low-calorie roots and starches - white potatoes, squashes, carrots, parsnips, turnips. These things fill you up fast. It's like eating concrete, especially when boiled and mashed. Baking them into fries and such will greatly reduce the satiety because you cook the water out and you're now eating dense starch. Mix white potatoes and turnips - cube them, boil them and mash them for a low calorie, high satiety side dish.

    3.) High water content/high fiber vegetables - broccoli, celery, cucumbers, watermelon, cantaloupe. You can pack in huge portions with little caloric impact.

    Great foods to cut weight on - eye round, mashed potatoes, steamed broccoli, minimal added fat. It'll keep you full for a long time quality quality fat, protein and carbohydrate.

    Great primal foods to sabotage weight loss: chicken wings, bacon, sausage, cheese, nuts, bulletproof coffee, fried starches. These are high calorie/low volume foods.
    In principle, this makes perfect sense. But if I eat lean chicken breast and mashed potato/turnip mix with minimal added fat, I'm going to be sitting there counting the minutes until I'm hungry enough to eat again because I would feel deprived from such a boring, bland meal. But there's different kinds of hunger and we all probably experience them differently.

    If I eat a big, buttered steak, I'm good until the same time the next day, easy. n=1.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    central FL
    Posts
    6,548
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    In principle, this makes perfect sense. But if I eat lean chicken breast and mashed potato/turnip mix with minimal added fat, I'm going to be sitting there counting the minutes until I'm hungry enough to eat again because I would feel deprived from such a boring, bland meal. But there's different kinds of hunger and we all probably experience them differently.

    If I eat a big, buttered steak, I'm good until the same time the next day, easy. n=1.
    This.
    But I don't mind having some broccoli with it.

    Also I've done the low fat boneless skinless breasts, steamed veg, with rice thing before... and though my stomach was technically full I still felt deprived and like something was constantly missing... and that made me want to "cheat".

    What Choco is talking about is CW dieters mentality... eat low caloric foods and eat MORE of them for satiety. To that I say "Phooey". Not what I want at all.

    The ability to eat fatty meats, and also plenty of veg, negates that feeling. I am satisfied with LESS food, and I like that.
    YMMV.
    N=1


    Also.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Narberth, PA
    Posts
    5,623
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    What Choco is talking about is CW dieters mentality... eat low caloric foods and eat MORE of them for satiety. To that I say "Phooey". Not what I want at all.
    No, it isn't. The topic of this thread is the foods that are the best "appetite suppressors." Most people do not have the genetics to maintain uber-leanness. You have to make a choice what is more important to you - leanness or enjoyment of food. By you choosing sausage, bacon, ribeye and lamb as your foods of choice, you can be perfectly healthy and you'll enjoy eating but you'll probably fall 10-15 lbs short of your weight loss goals. Similarly, if you are the kind of person that hates cooking and really doesn't enjoy food, you probably wouldn't be on this site to begin with, right?

    So make your choice. Chicken breast and eye round will lean you out faster than sausage and chicken thighs - the protein content is higher per gram. It's up to you if you can sustain that. The problem arises when this turns into a cycle of endless frustration - you won't give up high calorie foods but you don't want to do endless cardio and you want to be lean. Something's gotta give! You can't have it all. I have chosen to adhere to the middle ground. I enjoy food a lot so I eat fattier meats regularly, and it truly holds me back from being very lean, but it's worth it to me to enjoy my meals and I've just accepted I won't have that ripped look. I'm at peace with it. If you're not a foodie and would be happy eating less exciting food for body composition, well, I just told you how to do it.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Narberth, PA
    Posts
    5,623
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    In principle, this makes perfect sense. But if I eat lean chicken breast and mashed potato/turnip mix with minimal added fat, I'm going to be sitting there counting the minutes until I'm hungry enough to eat again because I would feel deprived from such a boring, bland meal. But there's different kinds of hunger and we all probably experience them differently.

    If I eat a big, buttered steak, I'm good until the same time the next day, easy. n=1.
    That's absolutely true. So you have to balance food reward with caloric intake.

    I choose to use spices over added fats in the majority of situations. Salt, pepper, herbs, gravies and citrus juices are lighter and very flavorful. Chicken breast may sound boring, but wrap it in aluminum foil with lemon, garlic and rosemary and bake it in the oven - that's next to zero added calories and it adds volumes of flavor. Not everything has to be covered in bacon grease and butter to be enjoyable. Chicken or beef stock reduced with a tablespoon of potato starch is also a very low calorie gravy that tastes great. Toss in some peppercorns and a sprig of time...yes please.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Portland
    Posts
    5,426
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    I strongly disagree.

    Fat IMO is not very satisfying. Case and point - 1,000 calories worth of bacon, cheese, nuts or sausage vs 1,000 calories of chicken breast, broccoli or shrimp. See which is more difficult.

    If you want to feel fullest on the fewest calories, focus on three things:

    1.) Protein
    2.) Water content
    3.) Fiber

    These are the things that really fill you up as they are typically high volume per caloric density. Great options are:

    1.) Leaner meats with high water content and protein per volume - chicken breast, pork loin, eye round, london broil, eggs, brisket.

    2.) Low-calorie roots and starches - white potatoes, squashes, carrots, parsnips, turnips. These things fill you up fast. It's like eating concrete, especially when boiled and mashed. Baking them into fries and such will greatly reduce the satiety because you cook the water out and you're now eating dense starch. Mix white potatoes and turnips - cube them, boil them and mash them for a low calorie, high satiety side dish.

    3.) High water content/high fiber vegetables - broccoli, celery, cucumbers, watermelon, cantaloupe. You can pack in huge portions with little caloric impact.

    Great foods to cut weight on - eye round, mashed potatoes, steamed broccoli, minimal added fat. It'll keep you full for a long time quality quality fat, protein and carbohydrate.

    Great primal foods to sabotage weight loss: chicken wings, bacon, sausage, cheese, nuts, bulletproof coffee, fried starches. These are high calorie/low volume foods.
    That wouldn't work for me. Filling up fast with starches means blowing my calorie limit yet being hungry again soon. Filling up by gorging myself with low fat meats means blowing my protein limit and putting on weight. And I find no staying power with watery vegetables at all. Your list of food never to eat reads like the list of foods I have lost weight on.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Narberth, PA
    Posts
    5,623
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    That wouldn't work for me. Filling up fast with starches means blowing my calorie limit yet being hungry again soon. Filling up by gorging myself with low fat meats means blowing my protein limit and putting on weight. And I find no staying power with watery vegetables at all. Your list of food never to eat reads like the list of foods I have lost weight on.
    Starches have higher satiety per calorie than fats. Compare white potatoes to nuts. The issue is you're confusing flour with starches. Your perception is starches is based on the satiety you get with pasta, bread and other grain flour-based foods, which take no effort to digest and are highly processed. I'm talking about potatoes, sweet potatoes, parsnips, jicama and squashes when I say "starches." They are low calorie, high water content and very difficult to overeat. White potatoes have one of the highest satiety indexes of any food.

    If you lost weight eating sausage and bacon daily, you likely had a lot of weight to lose. They'll be advantageous versus bread, pasta, sweets, fast food and the like, but you likely won't really lean out on them.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    647
    Yup - fat and protein! I just ate a can of tuna mixed with a coconut-oil-based dressing and a hard-boiled egg with veggies for lunch... and I'm stuffed! I've had this for breakfast and lunch many times and it holds me over for at least 5 hours, usually more.
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

    >> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

    Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •