Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: What are the best appetite suppressors? page 8

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    J.S. did a whole series called "Why are we hungry". For the science minded its a good series because it does differentiate satiety vs satiation, and satiated vs sated along with wants vs likes. Read the whole series if you want some interesting science.

satiation vs. satiety - GNOLLS.ORG
    Good stuff.

Will8801 is offline Junior Member
    Really strong green tea.

Really stewed with the tea bag left in for at least 10mins.

My mate was a champion bodybuilder and swears by this.

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    that will make me feel inadequate because I can't live off meat and spinach.
    LOL, seriously, you found what works for you, go with it! Just because someone can "go without fruit" does not make them better than anyone else. They just have different food preferences.

Seriously, preferring carbs and liking sweeter fresher foods does not make you a weak person, a bad person, or an inferior person. Fruit brings a lot of good stuff to the table, as do massive amounts of veggies. It's not the same as shoveling in the ice cream, soda and hohos.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I know, but with all the adulation for eating fat by the bowl, no carbs and fasting at least 20 hours in a day, it's hard not to feel like a failure when you can't.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

but with all the adulation for eating fat by the bowl, no carbs and fasting at least 20 hours in a day, it's hard not to feel like a failure when you can't.
    Frankly, that sounds like a miserable existence to me. Seriously, it's like envying a raw vegan. Look at you, unable to enjoy some of my favorite foods! I'm very happy to be eating my orange right now and not a spoon of oil.

Enjoying healthy foods is a good thing! I imagine that the people that can eat VLC can do so because it is their optimal diet, not because they have superior self control.

Disclaimer- If you eat VLC and love it, that is awesome that you found your optimal diet. You should be proud of the fact you figured out what worked, not proud of what you do or don't eat....

Leida is offline Senior Member
    You are right. With raw vegans I stop real fast because they really limit themselves. With the VLC, it feels like it is doable, and it's easier to label the exclusions as indulgences and treats. Even though I have that gut feeling that counting celery sticks in weird and unnatural... ahh, well. The joys of inner conflict.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    Disclaimer- If you eat VLC and love it, that is awesome that you found your optimal diet. You should be proud of the fact you figured out what worked, not proud of what you do or don't eat....
    But look at all the pretty colors we can turn the ketostix...

"With the VLC, it feels like it is doable, and it's easier to label the exclusions as indulgences and treats."

It's not doable for everyone. If you can't do it, obviously your body chemistry needs a different mix of foods as fuel. The banana I ate this morning with my eggs made it possible for me to give me all at the gym...It's not "treat", it's fuel. Bonus that it tastes good, but then so did my eggs and kimchi.

I think it is really, really odd to view perfectly healthy and beneficial foods for most people as indulgences. The orange I ate had vitamin C. Most of the world considers fruit a healthy additive to a diet. Yes, you can exist off of only meat, but is it optimal for most people?

The people who exclude carby foods don't do so out of avoiding "treats" and "temptations", they do so because those foods don't provide the right type of fuel for them. I don't eat bacon anymore. I do better with the banana. They both taste good. I don't view VLC people as "weak" because they eat bacon (I view it as a treat for myself). Why should we perceive ourselves as weak for eating fruit?

Paleobird Guest
    Ahem, not all VLC people eat bacon. Just wanted to clear up that common misperception. I consider bacon to be a processed food and I also don't think that pork in general is as healthy as ruminant meat due to the Omega 3/6 considerations.

Ahem, not all VLC people eat bacon.
    LOL, sorry...it was the best analogy of a low carb "treat" I could come up with. I sure as hell wasn't going to throw liver out there....

But I imagine that as a dedicated VLC person, that you are really satisfied with your diet and eat it because it makes your body run better, not because you get some kind of pleasure out of denying yourself carbs? I imagine if we were at breakfast and I had my banana and eggs and you had your steak and eggs, neither of us would be looking at the other's plate in either envy or disgust....

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast