Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: What are the best appetite suppressors? page 7

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Maybe you should try to spread a little wisdom as well?
    I've contributed to this thread several times. Do you know how to read the entirety of threads, or are you just looking at the last page? That would explain a lot.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    I've contributed to this thread several times. Do you know how to read the entirety of threads, or are you just looking at the last page? That would explain a lot.
    Yeah, proposing "salt" as an apetite suppressor in one of your postings, if you call that "wisdom" be my guest LOL...

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primal_alex View Post
    I do not know the others, but it works for me. I found that working out in fasted state doesn't make me hungrier, on the contrary: I almost have to force me to eat. I think it is just the proof that once you activate the fat burning mechanisms you are no more that dependent on food.
    My experience also. When I workout fasted I am rarely even hungry for at least 2 hours following the workout. All that time is spent burning more fat. If you prescribe to the post workout window theory this may completely freak you out. But I don't so it doesn't .

Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Yeah, proposing "salt" as an apetite suppressor in one of your postings, if you call that "wisdom" be my guest LOL...
    I believe I said salt made plain butter more delicious. More of your obfuscation of facts, lack of reading comprehension abilities, and anti-Primal postings. But I like you anyway.

June68 is offline Senior Member
    Fat.
    and protein.
    Olive oil in a protein shake.
    Bacon & eggs cooked in butter.
    Chicken thighs wrapped in bacon.
    Fatty steak or pork.
    Cream in my coffee.
    Macadamia nuts.

Anything else is gone...poof...in a couple hours and I'm hungry again. The same or smaller quantities of fat hold me for 5 hours or so before physical hunger sets in. And then it's often of the non-urgent variety. I'll eat when I get to it.

But, something people haven't touched on in this thread, is the other component of eating.

The one in your head. The one that says 'oh hey, look at the time...shouldn't I be having a meal right now?'. Or the one that says 'hey, you're bored. shouldn't you have a snack?'.

That's the shit I can do without. So keeping myself OCCUPIED is key to not snacking for the sake of snacking. Eating as a way to fill the time. If I find myself falling into that trap it's very hard to talk myself out of if I am not busy. If I am busy, I don't hardly think about food unless my stomach growls.

So for me it's being busy. I'm not hungry when I'm busy.
    5' 9" 44 YO F
    PB start June 2, 2012
    Pre PB SW = 180 (no scale at home, Mom's scale January - 153lbs!)

PB Journal

Quote Originally Posted by June68 View Post
    Fat.
    and protein.
    Olive oil in a protein shake.
    Bacon & eggs cooked in butter.
    Chicken thighs wrapped in bacon.
    Fatty steak or pork.
    Cream in my coffee.
    Macadamia nuts.

Anything else is gone...poof...in a couple hours and I'm hungry again. The same or smaller quantities of fat hold me for 5 hours or so before physical hunger sets in. And then it's often of the non-urgent variety. I'll eat when I get to it.

But, something people haven't touched on in this thread, is the other component of eating.

The one in your head. The one that says 'oh hey, look at the time...shouldn't I be having a meal right now?'. Or the one that says 'hey, you're bored. shouldn't you have a snack?'.

That's the shit I can do without. So keeping myself OCCUPIED is key to not snacking for the sake of snacking. Eating as a way to fill the time. If I find myself falling into that trap it's very hard to talk myself out of if I am not busy. If I am busy, I don't hardly think about food unless my stomach growls.

So for me it's being busy. I'm not hungry when I'm busy.
    Right. Boredom hunger is probably harder to stop than real hunger. For me, pure fat (even with a little salt) keeps the true hunger away longer than even fat + protein. Maybe because the insulogenic nature of the protein, but that's just a guess. Either fat alone or fat + protein keeps me satiated far longer than any combination including starches or sugars. And I've pretty much broken myself of the habit of eating out of boredom, but that doesn't mean it doesn't cross my mind. Oh what a wonderful thing constant access to food has been for us these past 10,000 years...

tiva is offline Junior Member
    For me, the best appetite suppressant is lots of fat, some protein, and minimal carbs.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Here are things that work for me:

- High fat, rich and creamy foods worked at first like a miracle. These days what works is to mostly eat low fat and once in a while really indulge in rich, fatty foods. It kind of hits a reset button or something.

- Low fat lean meat (chicken breast) with potato or sweet potato. No fat, just maybe mustard or something for flavor. I kind of need to go high volume on stuff like this sometimes but other times, low volume will keep me satisfied. After a while I have to hit the high fat reset button or else I will just get hungrier and hungrier.

- Plain black coffee. A big mug of plain black coffee can tide me over quite a while. This one surprised me as I had always used cream before. Creamy coffee will also do it but if I don't have to buy cream, all the better.

- Exercise. I know that's not something to eat but exercise can turn off my appetite for a while. So, a cup of coffee before I go exercise and I've got appetite suppression for about 2 hours. But then when I get hungry, look out! At least I've earned it.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    J.S. did a whole series called "Why are we hungry". For the science minded its a good series because it does differentiate satiety vs satiation, and satiated vs sated along with wants vs likes. Read the whole series if you want some interesting science.

satiation vs. satiety - GNOLLS.ORG

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    That's some pretty long article, sounds interesting. I will print it out to read on the bus home, since my Kobo went haywire again (sigh).

EDIT: I am keeping fingers crossed it is not going be another Banish Carb from your life things, that will make me feel inadequate because I can't live off meat and spinach.
    Last edited by Leida; 02-22-2013 at 10:54 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast