Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: What are the best appetite suppressors? page 4

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Tell me that next time I make weight for a 135-lb MMA fight by eating fatty steak, bacon, eggs, slices of butter, and cheese and cutting the yams and turnips and plantains out of my diet.
    How many days of your life have you been 50+ lbs overweight?

Do you track calories?

Do you weigh food?

Do you follow regular cyclical eating patterns?

You're fighting MMA and you're comparing yourself to a middle aged office worker?
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    You're purposely skewing data.

There is a HUGE difference between going from 250 lbs to 200 lbs and going from 200 lbs to 150 lbs. You can regularly consume sausage, bacon and added fat when you're very overweight because these foods are vastly superior to fast food and foods made of refined flours and sugars (which a person is undoubtedly eating to get very overweight). But to go from average weight to very lean with ab definition - that's a completely different story. If you're okay with being 15-20 lbs overweight, you don't have to give up these foods. If you want strong ab definition, you have to reduce your fat intake unless you're genetically gifted or extremely active.
    I didn't skew any DATA... there was none to skew.

I simply said you should stop telling people that their own N=1 experiences don't work.

If they have the experience that a thing works for their body you don't have the right to say "No that does not"
    That is about as pompous and arrogant as it gets.

Also...
    What exactly is your obsession with sausage and bacon?
    FFS.

If people do eat that stuff it's a personal choice... but not everyone does.
    Saying everyone who eats higher fat than you eats sausage and bacon all day is like saying every American smokes.
    Geezus.
    It's at least a little insulting.
    And you know it.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    You have said 1000 times over that it's CALORIES.

So... Calories.
    If the portions are smaller that is an individual choice.
    I can still eat all the veggies I want pretty much because really, it would take about a truck load of romaine lettuce to make a drop in the bucket if I chose that route.
    Also... those smaller portions are more satisfying than a large portion of low fat meat IMO.
    YMMV.
    N=1
    All that jazz.

Also... I never felt satisfied at all PERIOD when eating low fat, no matter how much food I consumed.
    When eating low fat food volume was simply irrelevant for me.
    Even with a full belly I was walking around wanting to pick at foods like I was hungry.
    That is not normal or healthy.
    Lack of fat in the diet was affecting how I responded in regard to satiety.
    Lack of nutrition and real food was affecting how you responded in regard to satiety. Very few people have tried the lower fat/higher carb approach using lean meats and quality starches. The people that rail against carbohydrate use bread, pasta, cake and sweets as examples of carbohydrate. I challenge anyone to get fat eating eye round, pork loin, skinless chicken breast, potatoes, squashes and fruit. It's exceedingly difficult.

If you're going to track calories, it doesn't matter what you eat as long as your macros come out the same. We're talking about intuitive eating here, and it's a lot more likely a person will overeat sausage and bacon than top round london broil and chicken breast.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

0Angel0 is offline Senior Member
    The most satisfying food to me is meat, plain and simple. If I had to pick a single macro it would be protein although I don't find liquid protein shakes to keep me satisfied as long as real food does. I eat HFLC and I think fat does play a role in satiety but protein does a much better job at it IME. Meat, veggies, and some fat makes for the most satisfying meal for me.

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    This was my point. I want (and ultimately eat) more food despite not necessarily being properly "hungry" when I don't have my animal fats.
    Exactly.... and I'm not interested in being hungry like that.
    For me it tends to lead to "bad food choices" instead of more low calorie fat free salad. And that sucks.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    How many days of your life have you been 50+ lbs overweight?
    I was a bit skinny fat before starting BJJ (7 years ago) and eventually getting my dietary house in order (4-5 years ago). Definitely never 50+ lbs. overweight.

Do you track calories?
    Never. Okay, occasionally I will for a single day so I can re-set my perception of how many I might be eating. Damn near never.

Do you weigh food?
    I've weighed myself holding food while waiting for the Athletic Commission to show up with the official scale, to see if I'd make weight after eating it. But no, I don't.

Do you follow regular cyclical eating patterns?
    When I'm preparing for an event that requires me to make weight? Sure. I eat once a day. One big, sloppy, butterey, baconey, steakey mess.

You're fighting MMA and you're comparing yourself to a middle aged office worker?
    I bet I'm several years older than you and bet we walk around at similar body fat percentage when we're not intentionally trying to be super lean. Is my experience less relevant than yours?

Lack of nutrition and real food was affecting how you responded in regard to satiety. Very few people have tried the lower fat/higher carb approach using lean meats and quality starches. The people that rail against carbohydrate use bread, pasta, cake and sweets as examples of carbohydrate. I challenge anyone to get fat eating eye round, pork loin, skinless chicken breast, potatoes, squashes and fruit. It's exceedingly difficult.

If you're going to track calories, it doesn't matter what you eat as long as your macros come out the same. We're talking about intuitive eating here, and it's a lot more likely a person will overeat sausage and bacon than top round london broil and chicken breast.
    No.
    Sorry.
    Wrong.

I did it on all whole foods. Just like now on Primal. The only difference was that instead of ONLY white rice there was some white and wild/brown rice mix. Otherwise all whole vegetables, fruits, and very lean meats.

NO breads, NO sweets. NO pasta. No nothing.

No I did not get fat that way... but I did fail utterly at dieting that way... I was miserable.
    And I guarantee I'm a better cook than you. I've been cooking sine I was about 10... I have experience. I know herbs and spices.

The problem was that I could eat and eat and eat and never be freaking satisfied.
    The low fat thing left me HUNGRY. No matter how full my stomach was, I was not satisfied. Or if I was "full" I'd be starving again just a few hours later... and it led to days where I would just completely fail and eat fatty shit and not care.

Now that I can eat fat, I eat small portions but I'm happy with them, I'm not hungry for bigger or more, I feel satisfied with less food, and I don't always feel the need to be searching out that illusive "something".
    Go figure.
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    No.
    Sorry.
    Wrong.

I did it on all whole foods. Just like now on Primal. The only difference was that instead of ONLY white rice there was some white and wild/brown rice mix. Otherwise all whole vegetables, fruits, and very lean meats.

NO breads, NO sweets. NO pasta. No nothing.

No I did not get fat that way... but I did fail utterly at dieting that way... I was miserable.
    And I guarantee I'm a better cook than you. I've been cooking sine I was about 10... I have experience. I know herbs and spices.

The problem was that I could eat and eat and eat and never be freaking satisfied.
    The low fat thing left me HUNGRY. No matter how full my stomach was, I was not satisfied. Or if I was "full" I'd be starving again just a few hours later... and it led to days where I would just completely fail and eat fatty shit and not care.

Now that I can eat fat, I eat small portions but I'm happy with them, I'm not hungry for bigger or more, I feel satisfied with less food, and I don't always feel the need to be searching out that illusive "something".
    Go figure.
    Here is the problem: your entire argument is a straw man. The question posed by this thread isn't "What did you do to lose weight." The question posed is:

"What are the best appetite suppressors? What kinds of foods help me feel a lot fuller so I don't over eat?"

The answer to that question is the most satisfying food per calorie. Leaner meats are more satisfying per calorie than fattier meats. Chicken breast has greater satiety per calorie than chicken thigh. Eye round has greater satiety per calorie than rib eye. Pork loin has greater satiety per calorie than pork rib. Turkey bacon has greater satiety per calorie than pork bacon. Any time you remove fat for protein, you reduce caloric density while simultaneously increasing the satiety index of that food because protein is more satisfying than fat.

Whether or not you can sustain that is irrelevant. If you find the diet so boring and so restrictive you break down and wind up binging, that doesn't change the fact that chicken breast is more satisfying per calorie than pork sausage. Whether or not the lack of fat causes anxiety or depression and subsequent overeating doesn't change that protein is superior to fat in terms of satiety and fat loss. Whether or not your low fat dieting paired with low-nutrient starch causes vitamin malabsorption and therefore a downregulated metabolism leading to an unsustainable TDEE doesn't change any of this. That is the individual factor and it's your job to make the diet work for you. Your job as the individual is to find the most sustainable calorie deficit.

That being said, to answer the question posed by the OP, the best appetite suppressants are:

1.) Protein
    2.) High water content foods
    3.) Fiber
    4.) "Hacks" such as plain black coffee and capsaicin are known to exhibit appetite suppressing effects and can be beneficial to keep hunger at bay while fasting.

And as always, stay very well hydrated. Hunger can often be confused with thirst.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Annieh View Post
    Eggs.
    I'm going with this. 6 eggs cooked up in butter is just a bit over 500 calories, but very filling especially if you throw in some onion, green pepper, spinach, and garlic.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Annieh View Post
    Eggs.
    +1 There's some magic going on in hard boiled eggs. I can be famished, and two measly hb eggs makes it all go away.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast