Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: What are the best appetite suppressors? page 2

frenchie79 is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by oxide View Post
    Grass fed butter, preferably salted. The best diet food out there.
    Do you just eat it with a spoon? Why is salted better?
    5'7'' 130 lbs, primal since August 2011

My journal:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread78819.html

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by frenchie79 View Post
    Do you just eat it with a spoon? Why is salted better?
    With a knife. Slice thin, salt, and eat. And because salt makes fat more delicious than it is on its own.

The best appetite suppressant is a large, fatty steak.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    You will eat much more salted butter than unsalted one. So, as an appetite suppressor per se you need to use unflavored fat. Unpalatable foods >> palatable foods to satiate.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    You will eat much more salted butter than unsalted one. So, as an appetite suppressor per se you need to use unflavored fat. Unpalatable foods >> palatable foods to satiate.
    Agree! Putting salt in food is a known trick to make people eat more! Among the macronutrients lean protein has shown to be more satiating calorie per calorie, so I don't understand all this fuzz about eating or drinking pure fat...

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Water for me, or soup, anything that fills stomach space.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    Fatty foods and protein foods. Especially fatty protein foods.
    I strongly disagree.

Fat IMO is not very satisfying. Case and point - 1,000 calories worth of bacon, cheese, nuts or sausage vs 1,000 calories of chicken breast, broccoli or shrimp. See which is more difficult.

If you want to feel fullest on the fewest calories, focus on three things:

1.) Protein
    2.) Water content
    3.) Fiber

These are the things that really fill you up as they are typically high volume per caloric density. Great options are:

1.) Leaner meats with high water content and protein per volume - chicken breast, pork loin, eye round, london broil, eggs, brisket.

2.) Low-calorie roots and starches - white potatoes, squashes, carrots, parsnips, turnips. These things fill you up fast. It's like eating concrete, especially when boiled and mashed. Baking them into fries and such will greatly reduce the satiety because you cook the water out and you're now eating dense starch. Mix white potatoes and turnips - cube them, boil them and mash them for a low calorie, high satiety side dish.

3.) High water content/high fiber vegetables - broccoli, celery, cucumbers, watermelon, cantaloupe. You can pack in huge portions with little caloric impact.

Great foods to cut weight on - eye round, mashed potatoes, steamed broccoli, minimal added fat. It'll keep you full for a long time quality quality fat, protein and carbohydrate.

Great primal foods to sabotage weight loss: chicken wings, bacon, sausage, cheese, nuts, bulletproof coffee, fried starches. These are high calorie/low volume foods.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    What ChocoTaco said, listen and learn primal kids...

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    I strongly disagree.

Fat IMO is not very satisfying. Case and point - 1,000 calories worth of bacon, cheese, nuts or sausage vs 1,000 calories of chicken breast, broccoli or shrimp. See which is more difficult.

1.) Protein
    2.) Water content
    3.) Fiber

These are the things that really fill you up as they are typically high volume per caloric density. Great options are:

1.) Leaner meats with high water content and protein per volume - chicken breast, pork loin, eye round, london broil, eggs, brisket.

2.) Low-calorie roots and starches - white potatoes, squashes, carrots, parsnips, turnips. These things fill you up fast. It's like eating concrete, especially when boiled and mashed. Baking them into fries and such will greatly reduce the satiety because you cook the water out and you're now eating dense starch. Mix white potatoes and turnips - cube them, boil them and mash them for a low calorie, high satiety side dish.

3.) High water content/high fiber vegetables - broccoli, celery, cucumbers, watermelon, cantaloupe. You can pack in huge portions with little caloric impact.

Great foods to cut weight on - eye round, mashed potatoes, steamed broccoli, minimal added fat. It'll keep you full for a long time quality quality fat, protein and carbohydrate.

Great primal foods to sabotage weight loss: chicken wings, bacon, sausage, cheese, nuts, bulletproof coffee, fried starches. These are high calorie/low volume foods.
    In principle, this makes perfect sense. But if I eat lean chicken breast and mashed potato/turnip mix with minimal added fat, I'm going to be sitting there counting the minutes until I'm hungry enough to eat again because I would feel deprived from such a boring, bland meal. But there's different kinds of hunger and we all probably experience them differently.

If I eat a big, buttered steak, I'm good until the same time the next day, easy. n=1.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    I strongly disagree.

1.) Protein
    2.) Water content
    3.) Fiber

That wouldn't work for me. Filling up fast with starches means blowing my calorie limit yet being hungry again soon. Filling up by gorging myself with low fat meats means blowing my protein limit and putting on weight. And I find no staying power with watery vegetables at all. Your list of food never to eat reads like the list of foods I have lost weight on.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    In principle, this makes perfect sense. But if I eat lean chicken breast and mashed potato/turnip mix with minimal added fat, I'm going to be sitting there counting the minutes until I'm hungry enough to eat again because I would feel deprived from such a boring, bland meal. But there's different kinds of hunger and we all probably experience them differently.

If I eat a big, buttered steak, I'm good until the same time the next day, easy. n=1.
    This.
    But I don't mind having some broccoli with it.

Also I've done the low fat boneless skinless breasts, steamed veg, with rice thing before... and though my stomach was technically full I still felt deprived and like something was constantly missing... and that made me want to "cheat".

What Choco is talking about is CW dieters mentality... eat low caloric foods and eat MORE of them for satiety. To that I say "Phooey". Not what I want at all.

The ability to eat fatty meats, and also plenty of veg, negates that feeling. I am satisfied with LESS food, and I like that.
    YMMV.
    N=1

Also.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast