Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: What are the best appetite suppressors? page 12

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Yeah, I deleted that comment so I wouldn't get sucked back into these discussions . Since you saw it before hand I guess I'm stuck. I don't think you can quantify things like "mental clarity" in a clinical trial, but there is ample evidence of ketosis being good for neurological disorders. I don't know if trials have been run on healthy peoples ability to problem solve in a ketotic state vs. not. If there has been that could be an interesting read. I'm with RM on wondering if there is significant evidence of "high adrenalin levels".... at least in an isocaloric trial of ketotic vs non ketotic individuals is there a significant difference in those levels. Again I've not looked this up. Don't feel like researching much tonight .
    OK, I am not unknown by ketosis and the state of "mental clarity" - but I interpret it as an state of alertness and an instrument to find some appropriate food and to get out of the ketosis and to let the body calm down and get sluggish for a while! Personally I get in and out of ketosis all the time though, but I don't see any reason to stay there for years either. But all honor to voluntary human guinea pigs testing out long term ketonic eating though, we can certainly learn something whatever results...

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    I'll take the bait. You obviously don't understand the krebs cycle and what ATP is/does, but what's this claim about ketosis leading to higher levels of adrenalin? Do you have a source or citation?
    Adrenalin is a counterregulatory hormone to lower insulin levels, and the state of "mental alertness" in ketosis seem to me to be a lighter "adrenaline buzz", and I am sure that somebody can look this up for verification. And if you know why ATP should be relevant to this, just put it on the table instead of playing around...

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Adrenalin is a counterregulatory hormone to lower insulin levels, and the state of "mental alertness" in ketosis seem to me to be a lighter "adrenaline buzz", and I am sure that somebody can look this up for verification. And if you know why ATP should be relevant to this, just put it on the table instead of playing around...
    I've never heard of this association between adrenalin secretion and ketosis. I'd love you to cite the source of your claims, rather than tell me to go google it myself, since it's certainly not common knowledge.

ATP matters because every single cell in our bodies is fueled by it and by it alone.

I've never heard of this association between adrenalin secretion and ketosis. I'd love you to cite the source of your claims, rather than tell me to go google it myself, since it's certainly not common knowledge.
    Well, I know the effect of a adrenaline kick on myself, and I know the state of ketosis, and I feel very much the similarities of "mental alertness", so I am pretty sure that elevated levels of adrenalin and noradrenaline are involved in ketosis. Should I then go to pubmed and find some study for you to prove my point? Not at all, just take it or leave it, I don't care wether you or other ignorant persons believes it or not...

ATP matters because every single cell in our bodies is fueled by it and by it alone.
    But ATP is an intracellular breakdown product used for energy production, it's not a "fuel". The body uses fat, carbs or protein for fuel, ATP is a derivate from those. And what relevans does ATP have for what we are discussing about the state of "alertness" in ketosis?

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    If I have to pick an ignorant/lazy person in this debate, it would be the one making spelling mistakes.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Paleobird Guest
    Either that or beta-hydroxybutyrate being turned into pyruvate yields more ATP via the krebs cycle than glucose. Don't let the facts get in the way of your anti-Primal ideology though. At least the lime in your diet coke is organic...
    Hehehehe.........
    I'll take the bait. You obviously don't understand the krebs cycle and what ATP is/does, but what's this claim about ketosis leading to higher levels of adrenalin? Do you have a source or citation?
    Other than Ray Peat please.
    Don't confuse him with the facts, RM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Well, I know the effect of a adrenaline kick on myself, and I know the state of ketosis, and I feel very much the similarities of "mental alertness", so I am pretty sure that elevated levels of adrenalin and noradrenaline are involved in ketosis.
    Just because you are a diet soda junkie, that makes you the expert on ketosis all of a sudden? Riiiight.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    I'm not trying to argue with anyone, but this struck me as odd since I did think this was common knowledge. It's even on the wikipedia page if you search fatty acid metabolism:

"However, when hormones such as epinephrine (also known as adrenaline) or glucagon are secreted in response to low levels of glucose, this triggers an intracellular secondary messenger cascades that phosphorylates hormone-sensitive lipase to break triglycerides into glycerol and free fatty acids for use in metabolism, a process known as lipolysis."

Fatty acid metabolism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"The following hormones induce lipolysis: epinephrine, norepinephrine, ghrelin, growth hormone, testosterone, and cortisol."

Lipolysis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter View Post
    I'm not trying to argue with anyone, but this struck me as odd since I did think this was common knowledge. It's even on the wikipedia page if you search fatty acid metabolism:
    I wasn't arguing the fact, just asking Gorbag for a citation.

Gorbag or BestBetter: What amount of adrenaline is actually necessary for the conversion of protein to glucose? (Advance apologies if that's also common knowledge). And for what period of time after beginning a ketogenic regime do dieters exhibit increased serum adrenaline?

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter View Post

"However, when hormones such as epinephrine (also known as adrenaline) or glucagon are secreted in response to low levels of glucose, this triggers an intracellular secondary messenger cascades that phosphorylates hormone-sensitive lipase to break triglycerides into glycerol and free fatty acids for use in metabolism, a process known as lipolysis."

Fatty acid metabolism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"The following hormones induce lipolysis: epinephrine, norepinephrine, ghrelin, growth hormone, testosterone, and cortisol."

Lipolysis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Which is why we both love and hate good ole Wikipedia. Its a very general entry without any consideration of context. Its an entry about lypolosis in general (which everyone does rely on almost exclusively as they sleep)....guess sleep raises adrenaline! Really some people will have raised adrenaline and some won't. It will depend on other factors such as eating at caloric maintenance or surplus vs eating to lose weight, adaptation to the state of ketosis, and of course biochemical individuality and previous health issues. Tthere is no way that you can say "ketosis raises adrenaline" as a rule unless you are talking about a specific individual that you have tested... then you can say "ketosis has raised adrenaline for you under these particular circumstances".
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 02-25-2013 at 08:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Just because you are a diet soda junkie, that makes you the expert on ketosis all of a sudden? Riiiight.
    LOL, because I don't buy the unintelligible hysteria about aspartame, then I am disqualified to have an opinion about ketosis, a physiological state that I visit frequently?

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast