Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 133

Thread: What are the best appetite suppressors? page 11

  1. #101
    Derpamix's Avatar
    Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    5,361
    Primal Fuel
    cigarettes, coffee, aspirin(especially all 3 at once) and just eating something. not sure why you'd want to suppress your appetite, just eat a piece of fruit. in general it's not healthy to deny yourself food when you're hungry.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

  2. #102
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    If I just ate fat, I'd be a slug.

    Everything kind of works for some people. I think everyone has a point. But you need to find out what works for you. Every so often though, you get a poster that gets really upset at people that eat some carbs. I remember some guy telling me "YOU CHEAT" because I ate fruit daily and somehow that is akin to eating a cupcake, which then the accuser tries to prove with "science". And every so often you get people who accuse VLCers of being disordered in their pursuit of a low carb diet. "Afraid of carbs" and the accuser prattles on about how many carbs they eat while still being lean....Those "accusers" are not doing anyone any favors. No one needs to hear that they are cheating or have an eating disorder.

    I think the best strategy is to try both and pick the path that works best for you. I think I could lose weight faster without carbs, but for me it is fine to have slower weight loss with more food variety and more energy to work out. That should have zero impact on anyone else, but maybe someone doing VLC but struggling with workouts reads that and tries more carbs. Maybe someone with more weight to lose puts more value on faster weight loss so tries the VLC method.
    I totally agree about the live and let live philosophy of macros. So silly to start pointing fingers (either direction).

    I find what you say about energy levels interesting though because, for me, it is the exact opposite. HFLC makes me feel like I am running on rocket fuel. Also, it is not just for losing weight. I am at my goal weight and continue to do it anyway. And I would still do so even if I didn't have epilepsy. (Other silly thing that bugs me is people saying that ketosis is only advisable for those with medical conditions.) It is the food I like and the energy I wouldn't want to give up. Unless I undergo some great biochemical shift, I will probably always eat this way.

  3. #103
    Gorbag's Avatar
    Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ecuador
    Posts
    3,897
    You are burning your candle in both ends Paleobird, in ketosis you are high on adrenalin, thats what gives you the mental energy - the rocket fuel"...

  4. #104
    RichMahogany's Avatar
    RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7,476
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    You are burning your candle in both ends Paleobird, in ketosis you are high on adrenalin, thats what gives you the mental energy - the rocket fuel"...
    Either that or beta-hydroxybutyrate being turned into pyruvate yields more ATP via the krebs cycle than glucose. Don't let the facts get in the way of your anti-Primal ideology though. At least the lime in your diet coke is organic...

  5. #105
    Gorbag's Avatar
    Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ecuador
    Posts
    3,897
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Either that or beta-hydroxybutyrate being turned into pyruvate yields more ATP via the krebs cycle than glucose. Don't let the facts get in the way of your anti-Primal ideology though. At least the lime in your diet coke is organic...
    What? why do you compare ATP to glucose, do you think that ATP is used by the brain for "mental clarity"? And "anti-Primal ideology", LOL, because I don't think long term ketosis is healthy???

  6. #106
    RichMahogany's Avatar
    RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7,476
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    What? why do you compare ATP to glucose, do you think that ATP is used by the brain for "mental clarity"? And "anti-Primal ideology", LOL, because I don't think long term ketosis is healthy???
    Actually, I compared the ATP yields of glucose to that of ketones. I said nothing about mental clarity, although I would posit that ketosis has the advantage in that department also. What is your exact claim about the mechanism of long-term ketosis being unhealthy?

  7. #107
    Ayla2010's Avatar
    Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    3,296
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I totally agree about the live and let live philosophy of macros. So silly to start pointing fingers (either direction).

    I find what you say about energy levels interesting though because, for me, it is the exact opposite. HFLC makes me feel like I am running on rocket fuel. Also, it is not just for losing weight. I am at my goal weight and continue to do it anyway. And I would still do so even if I didn't have epilepsy. (Other silly thing that bugs me is people saying that ketosis is only advisable for those with medical conditions.) It is the food I like and the energy I wouldn't want to give up. Unless I undergo some great biochemical shift, I will probably always eat this way.
    I agree too, and I am the same as you PB with energy.
    Love it!

  8. #108
    Gorbag's Avatar
    Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ecuador
    Posts
    3,897
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    He simply made a statement of fact regarding metabolism. I just picked the first page that gave a decent breakdown on google for you BIOG 1105-1106 | Cornell Introductory Biology, Individualized Instruction . Turned out to be cornell university biology page, so about as unbiased a source as you can find

    As to the actual thread at hand I don't really think anyone can deny that being in ketosis can be a terrific appetite suppressant.

    I'm quite agnostic about someones macro's these days. I just dislike blatant ignorance. And I consider statements like this..... "You are burning your candle in both ends Paleobird, in ketosis you are high on adrenalin, thats what gives you the mental energy - the rocket fuel"..." to qualify as such. Without knowing or seeing PB's bloodwork there is no way for you to make such an absurd claim.
    Well, I do not deny the negative efect on the appetite in ketosis, but going around with high adrenalin levels over years are very taxing on an organism - also the human body. But maybe I am wrong, that this mental clarity comes from something else, but then someone better put evidence on the table, because so far I have not seen much. Ketone bodies or eventually ATP are only the indirect cause for such a state of mental alert - basically it is your body by the help of hormones, such as adrenalin warning about a danger and to get out of that state of ketosis...

  9. #109
    RichMahogany's Avatar
    RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7,476
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Well, I do not deny the negative efect on the appetite in ketosis, but going around with high adrenalin levels over years are very taxing on an organism - also the human body. But maybe I am wrong, that this mental clarity comes from something else, but then someone better put evidence on the table, because so far I have not seen much. Ketone bodies or eventually ATP are only the indirect cause for such a state of mental alert - basically it is your body by the help of hormones, such as adrenalin warning about a danger and to get out of that state of ketosis...
    I'll take the bait. You obviously don't understand the krebs cycle and what ATP is/does, but what's this claim about ketosis leading to higher levels of adrenalin? Do you have a source or citation?

  10. #110
    Neckhammer's Avatar
    Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,744
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Well, I do not deny the negative efect on the appetite in ketosis, but going around with high adrenalin levels over years are very taxing on an organism - also the human body. But maybe I am wrong, that this mental clarity comes from something else, but then someone better put evidence on the table, because so far I have not seen much. Ketone bodies or eventually ATP are only the indirect cause for such a state of mental alert - basically it is your body by the help of hormones, such as adrenalin warning about a danger and to get out of that state of ketosis...
    Yeah, I deleted that comment so I wouldn't get sucked back into these discussions . Since you saw it before hand I guess I'm stuck. I don't think you can quantify things like "mental clarity" in a clinical trial, but there is ample evidence of ketosis being good for neurological disorders. I don't know if trials have been run on healthy peoples ability to problem solve in a ketotic state vs. not. If there has been that could be an interesting read. I'm with RM on wondering if there is significant evidence of "high adrenalin levels".... at least in an isocaloric trial of ketotic vs non ketotic individuals is there a significant difference in those levels. Again I've not looked this up. Don't feel like researching much tonight .

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •