Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: What are the best appetite suppressors? page 10

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Part genes, part age. Some people have more elastic skin than others. One thing that is great for skin health is regular massage.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

PrimalWannabeGirl is offline Senior Member
    Apart from food macros or specific foods, I think there are some mindset tweaks that lead to greater satiety on less food.

First, cultivating mindfulness when eating. Many of us gulp and inhale our food, or eat distracted. It is very easy to overeat when you are not paying attention: noticing chewing, noticing swallowing, cultivating awareness of the earliest signals of satiety. There is a great deal written about mindful eating, I suggest you google the notion and try applying it.

Second, food structure. Part of the French Paradox is that the culture traditionally has very strict food rules about not snacking, eating food in courses, and small portions. (See French School Lunch Menus | Karen Le Billon) This slows eating down, confines eating to set times of day. Part of SAD is that there is open season on eating: any time, any place. In the car, in front of the TV or computer, on the street, taco in hand, snack bars, snack packs etc. I try to put a mental fence around eating, making a plan and sticking to it.

The challenge is....our paleolithic ancestors had enforced times of fasting when foodstuffs were scarce. So unpredictability was built in to their environments. We, on the other hand, are surrounded by food 24/7; for those of us who are highly responsive to food reward (brain wiring and conditioning) we tend to respond to unpredictability with increased focus on food. I know I do best with careful, thoughtful, well-developed habits, food rules, and predictability. This cuts down on the appetite-stimulating qualities of free and open choice.

Finally, tolerating and appreciating hunger. I had to train myself to allow myself to experience hunger and welcome it. (In other words, we don't have to snack at the first twinge). If you can change your stance about satiety is and what hunger is, overeating becomes less of a response.

I highly recommend a book called THE END OF OVEREATING. Yes, most of it is about the appetitie-stimulating properties of manufactured and restaurant foods, but there is also a great deal about the "how" as much as the "what" of eating without overeating.

Pea

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    How much weight have you lost?
    Primal/paleo about 40 lbs, maybe 20 more to go. But Overall, from my heaviest it's around 125. I've lost in chunks so from like 300 to 250 (lost in a year about 20 years ago), then 250 to 215 (over the last 10 years) then 215 to my current 174 ( a little over a year). No issues with skin from previous losses, but this time the drooping is so apparent. I think part of it is age.

I'm at the point where I am weighing the options between maintaining and losing more. I think I will lose more- I look fine in clothes, but very bad naked.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    I've noticed that eating bland food causes my body to eat how much I need, not how much I want. Instead of focusing on complex flavors, eating unseasoned food drastically changes the quantity you eat. I used to cook with a lot of spices and was always trying to make my food very palatable (and simultaneously had a much bigger appetite), but now that I tend to go for more bland food, I've noticed that I am rarely interested in eating and do it because I have to, not for pleasure.

For example, next time you're really hungry, think about eating something like a can of tuna and a baked potato (no seasonings or salt)...if you're still hungry, then it's true hunger. If you're not, then it's not an appetite problem you have, it's an emotional eating issue. If you follow through by eating the bland meal, it's very likely that you'll realize you don't actually have an appetite problem at all.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    LOL, sorry...it was the best analogy of a low carb "treat" I could come up with. I sure as hell wasn't going to throw liver out there....

But I imagine that as a dedicated VLC person, that you are really satisfied with your diet and eat it because it makes your body run better, not because you get some kind of pleasure out of denying yourself carbs? I imagine if we were at breakfast and I had my banana and eggs and you had your steak and eggs, neither of us would be looking at the other's plate in either envy or disgust....
    This. Exactly. There is no self denial at all. I honestly don't like starchy foods and I do eat an occasional piece of fruit. Choco likes to rant about VLC as some sort of disordered eating. Your take on it is much more reasonable.

Sigi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimalWannabeGirl View Post

I highly recommend a book called THE END OF OVEREATING. Yes, most of it is about the appetitie-stimulating properties of manufactured and restaurant foods, but there is also a great deal about the "how" as much as the "what" of eating without overeating.
    It's a great read. A lot of jaw-dropping information about food science, presented in a very accessible and interesting way.
    I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

Oscar Wilde

itchy166 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    This. Exactly. There is no self denial at all. I honestly don't like starchy foods and I do eat an occasional piece of fruit. Choco likes to rant about VLC as some sort of disordered eating. Your take on it is much more reasonable.
    I didn't have a macro goal in mind when I began Primal. I allowed myself to eat what I like as long as it was within Paleo guidelines.

I then started to IF and suppliment MCT oil as a way to avoid noniprimal meals (its a long story, but I occasionally don't have a lot of say in the food I am served).

I am now a VLC eater, and I intend on staying this way. I don't care if others think its disordered, my results are more important to me than their opinions.
    "It's a great life, if you don't weaken.". John Buchan

Bearcat is offline Junior Member
    I think Leida's initial post said it well - different "styles" suit different people and we don't all fit the same mould. I tried the low fat, higher protein "good" carbohydrate multiple meals a day (body for life, followed by tosca Reno eat clean anyone?) It made great sense, had the success stories to back it up that it obviously works for some but it didn't suit me. I was constantly eating, annoyingly always hungry and catching every bug that went around and I certainly wasn't eating SAD (or NZD). It turns out that I am a low volume, high fat type. I don't know about VLC as I don't check but it is low. The best thing of all of this is that I now eat what I want to eat rather than try to eat according to someone else's plan. And those extra inches that were so difficult to budge on good carbs have come off with little effort despite me being a small person to begin with.

moonlights is offline Junior Member
    I eat less than 30g carbs daily, and aim for upwards of 70 percent of my calories from fat. I eat pork belly, chicken with skin, tons of butter, beef dripping etc. I've lost from 204lbs down to 150lbs eating that way and am currently at the lowest weight of my adult life, having been obese since I was a teenager.

Which covers all of choco's issues, I think?

Fat has a higher satiation factor than protein. Yes you can eat more volume in the form of carbs and lean protein but higher fat in smaller portions will make you full. If in doubt try a couple of days on the fat fast - eat 1000 calories per day with 90 percent coming from fat. You'll eat the equivalent of 1 bag of macademia nuts and feel zero hunger. As an experiment it puts fat satiation beyond doubt.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    "Yes you can eat more volume in the form of carbs and lean protein but higher fat in smaller portions will make you full. If in doubt try a couple of days on the fat fast - eat 1000 calories per day with 90 percent coming from fat. "

I think though, it depends on your particular body. If I just ate fat, I'd be a slug, not hungry and dreaming of carbs. Even if I did it for months. For me, I'm OK not feeling full. I actually prefer feeling a touch of hunger versus how I feel after a high fat meal.

Everything kind of works for some people. I think everyone has a point. But you need to find out what works for you. Every so often though, you get a poster that gets really upset at people that eat some carbs. I remember some guy telling me "YOU CHEAT" because I ate fruit daily and somehow that is akin to eating a cupcake, which then the accuser tries to prove with "science". And every so often you get people who accuse VLCers of being disordered in their pursuit of a low carb diet. "Afraid of carbs" and the accuser prattles on about how many carbs they eat while still being lean....Those "accusers" are not doing anyone any favors. No one needs to hear that they are cheating or have an eating disorder.

I think the best strategy is to try both and pick the path that works best for you. I think I could lose weight faster without carbs, but for me it is fine to have slower weight loss with more food variety and more energy to work out. That should have zero impact on anyone else, but maybe someone doing VLC but struggling with workouts reads that and tries more carbs. Maybe someone with more weight to lose puts more value on faster weight loss so tries the VLC method.

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast