Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If I want a corn tortilla what ingredients should i look for on the package page

candy corn is offline Member

If I want a corn tortilla what ingredients should i look for on the package

Shop Now
    Just corn and lime?

I fond a brand that is just corn and lime but the lime has () next to it with something listed in i cant remember. Is that fine?

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Generally the "lime" is the calcium carbonate they use to mixtamalize the corn. Honestly, if you can tortillas with just that, it's a better bet. Not your best option for true primal, but if that's what you want, yeah, straight corn and "lime" are your best bet.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    This is simple.

Do you have a Whole Foods nearby? Simply purchase their organic non-GMO verified yellow corn tortillas. They are 12/$1.49. They're in the photo below:

If you want the long explanation, you want the tortillas to have three ingredients: Corn, water, lime. Or it could say "treated with lime." It's important to note that this is NOT lime juice - it is calcium carbonate - bagged lime from the hardware store. It kills the mycotoxin inherent to corn and eliminates the phytate/increases B vitamin absorption. It turns a mildly irritating grain into a pretty clean starch that's correlated with healthy societies, similar to how white rice is correlated.

The other thing I recommend: purchase organic corn tortillas, or at least tortillas that are non-GMO. Trader Joe's is viable option. They are not organic like the Whole Foods variety, but TJ's doesn't carry GMO's. The Whole Foods variety is far tastier, though. The TJ's ones are comparatively flavorless since they're made from white corn. I really don't like the idea of GMO corn. The non-GMO organic stuff, I have less qualms with.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Tee
    Tee is offline Senior Member
    Choco, that photo, is that your weekly food purchase? If so, can you tell me what you make with it?

hunteark1 is offline Banned
    I agree that a lot of tasty farm and wild animals are cute, but I still eat them.

Quote Originally Posted by Tee View Post
    Choco, that photo, is that your weekly food purchase? If so, can you tell me what you make with it?
    Yea pretty much. This was mainly for daily lunch salads, a big batch of pico de gallo and I bake a lot of plantains throughout the week.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

murf73 is offline Senior Member
    When I make tacos, instead of using corn tortillas or regular flour tortillas, I use large romaine lettuce leafs. I pile on the guacomole,chicken, salsa and veggies and olives and man is it delicious.

Quote Originally Posted by murf73 View Post
    When I make tacos, instead of using corn tortillas or regular flour tortillas, I use large romaine lettuce leafs. I pile on the guacomole,chicken, salsa and veggies and olives and man is it delicious.
    Yea, I've done that a million times but it's not even 1/10 as good as a legit corn tortilla. If you absolutely want a tortilla, these are the best and they really aren't unhealthy for any particular reason. You can approximate all you want but a great lettuce wrap isn't as good as a bad corn tortilla...

candy corn is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post

If you want the long explanation, you want the tortillas to have three ingredients: Corn, water, lime. Or it could say "treated with lime." It's important to note that this is NOT lime juice - it is calcium carbonate - bagged lime from the hardware store. It kills the mycotoxin inherent to corn and eliminates the phytate/increases B vitamin absorption. It turns a mildly irritating grain into a pretty clean starch that's correlated with healthy societies, similar to how white rice is correlated.

The other thing I recommend: purchase organic corn tortillas, or at least tortillas that are non-GMO. Trader Joe's is viable option. They are not organic like the Whole Foods variety, but TJ's doesn't carry GMO's. The Whole Foods variety is far tastier, though. The TJ's ones are comparatively flavorless since they're made from white corn. I really don't like the idea of GMO corn. The non-GMO organic stuff, I have less qualms with.
    don't live near TJ or WF. but my krogers has these: Sprouted Corn Tortillas | Food For Life

are they ok?

what about bobs red mill masa harina? I know that stuff is made with non-gmo corn and i guess i wouldn't mind frying up my own tortillas in pan should need be.

zoebird is online now Senior Member
    We do lettuce usually and a corn tortilla occasionally. I wanted enchiladas really bad the other day -- and so we went ahead and made some beautiful chicken ones with fresh (made that day) tortillas that a local mexican restaurant sells. It was awesome.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast