Thread: Having trouble eating enough page

s-piper is offline Senior Member

Having trouble eating enough

Primal Fuel
    This might be a strange problem, but I decided to start off with low-carb to kick start weightloss and hopefully improve my test results at my next doctors (I have PCOS and IR). I planned to slowly add in more fruits and root vegetables as I went on.

However, my appetite has decreased so much that I'm actually having trouble eating enough food.
    For example, I cooked a big pot of spaghetti sauce on Sunday to eat on during the week. I ate it with spaghetti squash, and when that ran out I'd just put it over other veggies or eat it as a stew.
    Well when I'd eat this exact same recipe with pasta, I'd have to stop myself from having seconds and sometimes to be able to have seconds but not binge on pasta, I'd just eat a cup of the sauce. No problem. However, last night after a bowl of the sauce and a salad, I didn't want anymore...but I was still hungry, my stomach was growling.

Here's what I've had today...
    Breakfast: Bowl of chicken soup - no rice or noodles
    Lunch: Ham and cheese sandwich from Subway (ate the meat and vegetables out of the sandwich, threw away the bread)
    Dinner: 2 cups of broccoli with butter, 2oz roast pork

Looking back on that I'm realizing that dinner was the first full meal I've had all day. I wasn't hungry until right before dinner, but even then nothing really sounded appealing even as much stomach was telling me it was hungry.
    This isn't something I want to 'just go with' either because I'm not feeling that great. I have that hazy, low-carb flu going on, so I feel crappy and grouchy.

After having binge eating problems when I was eating grains and sugar, this really sucks.
    It's like my stomach and my brain refuse to ever be in agreement!

frenchie79 is offline Member
    borborygmus (or stomach grumbling) is not a sign of hunger.
    5'7'' 130 lbs, primal since August 2011

My journal:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread78819.html

magicmerl is online now Senior Member
    Maybe make your breakfast more substantial? I find Bacon/Liver/Eggs/Mushroom/Tomato/Avocado/Courgette works a treat for breakfast.

Sounds like you have decreased appetite due to lowered food palatability. I'd try looking for a pasta substitute, like boiled or steamed carrots/potatoes/courgettes.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    Maybe make your breakfast more substantial? I find Bacon/Liver/Eggs/Mushroom/Tomato/Avocado/Courgette works a treat for breakfast.

Sounds like you have decreased appetite due to lowered food palatability. I'd try looking for a pasta substitute, like boiled or steamed carrots/potatoes/courgettes.
    I had the sauce with spaghetti squash and kelp noodes...both were good, so I'm okay on pasta substitutes I think..

Lowered food palatability might be a part of it, but I don't think that's all of it. I like all of those things you listed, except the liver...I've never had that so I don't know if I like it or not. The only thing that sounds good right now, though, is the mushrooms.

At the moment, I'm not even craving carbs, although I know that if I were to go buy a large bag of candy or potato chips I'd probably end up eating a ton of them. I definitely am a testament to how much starches and sugar stimulate the appetite.
    Last edited by s-piper; 02-20-2013 at 07:20 PM.

magicmerl is online now Senior Member
    Chicken Livers are the best for breakfasts. Cooked in homemade ghee, like the rest.

Moar fat will help you if it's just a problem of not enough calories...
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

That's a good point. Other than the cheese at lunch, and then butter and meat at dinner, I probably didn't get very much fat at all.

Thanks for the help, I'll try to be more aware of how much fat I'm getting in my food.

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Looks like you've just started. Don't worry about it. Make sure your % of fats is > 65, and just wait. I had no appetite for several months. Now it's started to pick up well, and I think I'm gaining weight.

Shadowknight137 is offline Senior Member
    Add bacon to each meal.

<3