Thread: My doctor dropped a bombshell... page

MissJecka is offline Senior Member

Cool My doctor dropped a bombshell...

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    ...by telling me that whatever I did to get my total cholesterol and LDL down so low and my HDL so high, to keep doing it! Hormones, liver, kidneys, thyroid, blood sugar/glucose... all good, too! Many improved and in the "ideal" level!

He said whatever diet I'm currently eating (though he didn't ask me to tell him what I actually eat) to keep doing it.

Also, my boyfriend - who thought this Primal thing was a phase - is happy for me and his reaction was, "Looks like we'd better stock up on bacon!"

So...

MOAR BACON!!!
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

DoraV is offline Member
    That's awesome, good for you!! It's too bad he didn't want to know what "diet" you were on though and spread the word to some of his other patients.
    F 44 5'5"
    SW 177
    CW 152
    GW 136

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    So you and your doctor have a 'don't ask don't tell' relationship?
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DoraV View Post
    That's awesome, good for you!! It's too bad he didn't want to know what "diet" you were on though and spread the word to some of his other patients.
    Well, he's a new doc for me. (I just moved recently and needed a primary care physician.) He said I'll get blood work done in a year and if it gets even better, then I'll tell him what I'm doing.

The good thing is that I get a good vibe from this doctor; unlike other doctors in my life, he told me different "healthy" ranges for Total Cholesterol and LDLs. I've had high cholesterol my whole life (usually around 240-250 total) and doctors were always telling me I need to get it below 200, ideally below 185, and that to get there I'd most likely need to be put on statins. This guy told me my total cholesterol is fine where it is (at 213) because my Tri's (at 52) and HDL (at 62) is awesome.

I like that he didn't seem all doom-and-gloom or pushy about what I must do, and the word "statins" never came up!

Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    So you and your doctor have a 'don't ask don't tell' relationship?
    I don't feel like opening up pandora's box with him. Even when I mentioned the Primal thing to my naturopath, she was very much obviously doubtful of it and recommended that I lower my fat intake and kept talking about how over time the good things I was feeling wouldn't last. (I've since ditched her, obviously, and I'm glad I found a regular MD that is more thorough and has an "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" approach.)
    Last edited by MissJecka; 02-20-2013 at 07:10 PM.
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!