Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vital Choice - Does Anyone Have Experience? page

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member

Vital Choice - Does Anyone Have Experience?

Shop Now
    I am finally reading The Primal Blueprint and I must say I will probably read it over and over again. It is hands down the best book I have ever read.

Yesterday I was eating about Law #1 - eat lots of plants and animals...

Mark suggested 4 online sources for salmon... one of them was Vital Choice. I went to the website, browsed around and they look VERY impressive.

But, it is VERY expensive. At a per lb. cost some seafood is $15, but most is $20-25 or more. I currently buy my wild alaskan salmon from my local supermarket (Meijer - very excellent - they have locally grown produce). The brand is Icy Straits which seem to be a very excellent brand too.

The cost is $7.49 per lb.

That is a HUGE difference!

So my question is... have you tried Vital Choice? How did you like it? Why is it 3x or more the cost on average? Is it worth it?

Thanks!

-Todd
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Anyone?

Suki is offline Senior Member
    I just browsed the VC site quickly but I see no reason why you should purchase Vital Choice over the wild salmon at your local. Maybe the endorsement was for people who don't have access to wild salmon in their own towns?

HowToDieYoung is offline Junior Member
    I go fishing and freeze the fish I can't eat right away in water. If you don't live near a good source, it could be a fun vacation to connect to your inner grok.

Pantera is offline Senior Member
    I don't know about Vital Choice, but wild salmon can be completely wild or raised in captivity, released and then caught in the wild. The latter is usually cheaper but with a worse nutritional profile. Labeling can be misleading.

Mark on farmed vs wild salmon
    O.K., so you’re no fan of the farm anymore. To cloud the issue further, a “wild” label may only be telling a half truth. (They’re generally the less expensive “wild” brands offered in your grocery store.) As I described a few months back in Encore on Omegas, many to most “wild” salmon actually spend half their lives in hatcheries before being released. While these quasi-wild fish are a better nutritional deal than fully farmed salmon, they still bear the burdens of early exposure to toxins (dioxin, PCBs, etc.) and a less impressive omega 6:3 ratio.

Quote Originally Posted by Pantera View Post
    I don't know about Vital Choice, but wild salmon can be completely wild or raised in captivity, released and then caught in the wild. The latter is usually cheaper but with a worse nutritional profile. Labeling can be misleading.

Mark on farmed vs wild salmon
    This is what I am talking about. How much do you guys pay for your salmon? My local supermarket - one that actually carries homegrown produce and plenty of organic too - has the Icy Straights brand Wild Alaskan Salmon. They seem very legit and I believe it to be truly wild caught but how do I know that it is the best quality?

It runs at $7.49 per lb. Like I said before the wild alaskan salmon from Vital Choice is up to $20 or more. So, what is the difference? The price is 3-4 times as much... why? Should I be fine with the Icy Straights brand.

Thanks for your comments!

Dryden is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dosenberry View Post
    It runs at $7.49 per lb. Like I said before the wild alaskan salmon from Vital Choice is up to $20 or more. So, what is the difference? The price is 3-4 times as much... why? Should I be fine with the Icy Straights brand.
    I'm not 100% certain, but I'm going to suggest that the difference is that the Vital Choice brand was mentioned by name in a popular authors bestselling book, and the Icy Straights brand was not!

Quote Originally Posted by Dryden View Post
    I'm not 100% certain, but I'm going to suggest that the difference is that the Vital Choice brand was mentioned by name in a popular authors bestselling book, and the Icy Straights brand was not!
    It's possible... But, I do not believe that. Vital Choice has a lot of other excellent products too. Wild berries, organic snacks, etc. And they have a variety of other wild caught seafood. Just SUPER EXPENSIVE.

Anyone who is reading this... HOW MUCH DOES YOUR SALMON COST PER LB.?

Steve-in-MN is offline Member
    I ordered a bunch of stuff from them a couple of years ago. I was pretty happy with the product and their service. Just expensive. I bought a 24-can case of the canned salmon (with bones and skin). I never quite got used to eating the bones (mostly little vertabra), although I did; but by the time I got through the whole case, I was pretty much done with the bones and skin thing. Still, much tastier (and healthier I'm sure) than your average "Pink" canned salmon. Ordering a case got the price down to $3.25 per can. That doesn't include shipping, but shipping is free if you go over $99, which is easy. Also tried some of the 6oz frozen filet portions, which were fine. Better than farmed, but not as good as fresh wild-caught. I even ordered some country-style salmon sausage patties. I didn't dig these too much. The flavor was good but patties are fairly big and there doesn't seem to be a lot of built-in fat; found myself washing down bites with coffee. Maybe they'd be good with a healthy dollop of hollandaise sauce ...

Generally speaking, I got the impression from their site that they take their "wild caught" claims seriously, using sustainable fisheries, etc., and nothing in my buying experience changed that.

Oh - and as far as the question on the per lb price ... I usually buy non-frozen at Whole Foods every couple of weeks. Can't recall the price right now. Haven't checked for what they have in the frozen section.
    Last edited by Steve-in-MN; 04-29-2010 at 01:39 PM.

Everyone talks about whole foods. I just went to their website and the closest one is more than 100 miles away...

The closest Trader Joes is far far away too... My luck living in GR, MI!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast