Thread: Giving it another go... page

TornadoGirl is offline Senior Member

Giving it another go...

Shop Now
    About two years ago, I happened across The Primal Blueprint and did a pretty good job of following these guidelines for about 5 months. I loved it then and love it now but The Eat More Fat mantra did not work well for me; my gallbladder balked and I was nauseated A LOT. I went too low on the carbs (I think) which stressed out my adrenal glands causing debilitating orthostatic hypotension; actually I think I had underlying adrenal exhaustion that I had been masking with excessive carbs and caffeine. Then I had a surprise pregnancy (probably wouldn't have even gotten pregnant if not for the great eating habits--thought I was infertile) that ended in miscarriage. The miscarriage was what finally derailed me; I was sad, felt really sick to my stomach and repulsed by vegetables and gave up. Nonetheless, I still believed it to be a great program if I could get it to work for me. I have meandered my way back and am trying to moderate my fats and also eat a little more carbs. So far, the carb flu has been almost non-existent and I've almost undone the damage of Christmas season in less than two weeks, so yea!

I'm 47, recently took up kayaking, and really excited to be back. I hope to turn 50 in the best shape of my life; having the fitness and energy to live life to the fullest. I don't weigh myself but am "hoarding energy", about 20 or 30 extra lbs worth and would like to see that go.

Anyway, if you've made it this far, thanks for reading!
    Last edited by TornadoGirl; 02-20-2013 at 06:16 PM.
    True healthcare reform starts in your kitchen, not in Washington. ~Anonymous
    The worst carrot is better than the best candybar.--TornadoGirl

notlupus is offline Senior Member
    Good luck! High fat doesn't work for me either (stomach is still too sensitive from years of heartburn and celiac). The taste of fat still disgusts me a little sometimes. I eat lots of sweet potatoes and veggies. Maybe plant based fats like avocado will be better for you? Avocado works fairly well for me.

Hi notlupus! Yes, I do eat a lot of avocado and have been eating a lot of sweet potatoes. What I found last time is that the Primal-approved complex carbs were just not convenient and I would just eat non-starchy vegetables. That didn't really work. I have worked on adrenal health quite a bit so maybe this time around I will be able to cut more carbs, but for now, I am eating a little rice, some white potatoes, and the sweet ones. One "innovation" is that last year I started making chopped salads in my food processor. You can get lots of vegetables into a salad and it's just easier for me to eat. We eat so many more veg this way. That will probably help too.

notlupus is offline Senior Member
    I make vegetable heavy crustless quiche to have around for breakfast and snack, so I get my greens between that and salads. Haven't tried chopping the salad in the food processor, but I'll keep that in mind. I'm sure some people will complain, but I don't seem to have trouble with cheese so I eat that as well. I was so happy when I found Kerrygold cheese for $6/lb at Sam's club. I tried it over Christmas when I found it at Aldi and loved it and it seems to do ok with me. Bacon and fatty steak won't ever be favorites, but there's plenty of other options so it's really not a big deal. Find what works for you and enjoy it.

Rueben is offline Senior Member
    Have you tried Wilson's supplements for your adrenal fatigue? I started a month ago and am really noticing improvements in my mood and energy levels.

I also have found VLC doesn't work for me. Starchy veges like spuds and sweet potato (Kumara where I come from) are my friends. I'm not sure whether you can get different coloured sweet potatoes where you are from - but if you can find the purple skinned ones with a more cream coloured centre - they are a much better texture when cooked that the orange fleshed ones - I much prefer the taste too.

Rueben, I've been using Gaia Adrenal Support which has worked wonders at times. I haven't tried the purple sweet potatoes but I think I saw some at the store recently. I definitely open for any kind of healthy starchy veg. I have been hitting up the local farmers' market regularly. It has a great selection for a small town.

hunteark1 is offline Banned
    PrimalCon New York
    I agree that a lot of tasty farm and wild animals are cute, but I still eat them.