Thread: Mel Goes Primal page

mjfutty is offline Junior Member

Smile Mel Goes Primal

Primal Fuel
    Hi everyone,

I just wanted to say hello to the community! Thanks for having me! I am looking forward to jumping into a primal lifestyle & I absolutely cannot wait to see what it does for my overall wellbeing. I am a bit nervous as I am a bank teller (boo) and well, as you know, the job is ridiculously sedentary. Not only do I struggle with sitting in front of a computer 7+ hours a day, but the other employees as well as our customers love to bring us chocolate and other sweets. I have to admit... I love chocolate. Getting over the sugar cravings & binges is going to be perhaps my greatest challenge! But from what I have learned, primal is so yummy.

Perhaps it is because I sit at a computer all day, but I have absolutely no energy when I get home. Daily chores (washing dishes, doing laundry, making dinner) have become the most exhausting tasks. I simply want to sit on the couch (yes, sit some more) and watch TV and eat those foods that are already prepared for me... it's awful.

(If I am honest, I tried primal for about one week a few weeks ago. And I felt better than ever. But then I had a bad weekend... and got off track.)

Breaking the habit is going to be difficult.

I look forward to learning what an average week of meals looks like as well as daily exercise. Currently, I have a gym membership that I hardly use. I would love to do most of my exercise around our home - biking, walking, planting flowers, but I am not opposed to going to the gym once in a while. I just need a plan... what does daily exercise (esp. at the gym) look like?

My mama has been primal for about 4 months now, and I have seen the amazing things that a primal lifestyle can do for a person. Last night I started to read The Primal Blueprint, and I know this is the lifestyle for me.

So here is where my story begins.
    I hope that I have some really great news to share as the days go on!

Thank you all for listening!

-Mel

Goals for the next few days: Take starting measurements, plan one week of meals, stop eating chocolate, move around when I come home from work. (ideas + encouragement much appreciated)
    Last edited by mjfutty; 02-21-2013 at 06:24 AM.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    go Mel! Great to hear from you. Good for you on adopting the primal way, your goals look positive and realistic. You can do this, you mama has and so have we, you will love it. Best wishes.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Start by going into the gym and telling them what you've told us - that you don't know where to start with gym exercise. I'll bet they'll have lots of information for you. They don't want to lose you as a customer.

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    Many gyms will be totally open to giving you a walk-through of the facility and some equipment. Maybe ask if they have a free trial personal training session; many do, even though they put pressure on you to sign up for a year of personal training... but just do the free session to learn some basic moves and how to use the equipment properly, then politely decline the training contract. Haha.

I had been a gym rat for years, spending at least 1.5 hours at the gym 6 days per week, but I actually found that working out without a gym was the best for me. I started running (did many 5k, 10k, and a half marathon), did mostly body weight exercises, and was able to tone up by doing so. I eventually bought a road bike and go bike-riding during warm weather months.

I find it more enjoyable to do things that don't feel like exercising, just as you described!

I do have a gym membership now so I can swim laps, but otherwise I wouldn't. It's completely up to you, but don't force yourself to go to a gym if you don't want to!
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

Quote Originally Posted by Annieh View Post
    go Mel! Great to hear from you. Good for you on adopting the primal way, your goals look positive and realistic. You can do this, you mama has and so have we, you will love it. Best wishes.
    Thank you!!! Glad to have your encouragement!!

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    Start by going into the gym and telling them what you've told us - that you don't know where to start with gym exercise. I'll bet they'll have lots of information for you. They don't want to lose you as a customer.
    Thanks! I talked to the owner of the gym, and he gave me some great advice! I'm excited for the times that I go to the gym, I have a better understanding of what to do now.

Did this for about one full week - was super exhausted at first and then felt great.
    Now I have to jump back into this 100%, but my question is...

HOW DO YOU AFFORD IT?!

Last night I bought the ingredients for a nut crunch recipe my mama gave me and spent almost $50. Holy smokes!! And that's not even a meal...

Any financial wisdom would be much appreciated!

Happy eating!
    -Mel

Patti is offline Senior Member
    Set a grocery budget and stick to it. For me, veggies, meats, fruits, (cereal and dairy for hubby) are at the top of the grocery list. If there is anything left in the budget for the week, then oils, nuts, coffee, chocolate, etc. are purchased. Depending upon your budget, you might have to collect ingredients for awhile or save up for a special treat. While I've only been eating primally for a short time, the grocery list is very similar to what I used when following Atkins years ago. The biggest differences are that I'm not buying cheeses, artificial sweeteners, "nutrition bars", "protein powder", or shakes and am saving a bundle. More available for nuts!

tdugmen is offline Junior Member
    What works for me (I have a limited budget!) is buying the vegetables/fruits that are in season and, if possible, local. Look for farmer's markets close to your area (even farms in which you pick up the produce yourself... which also turns into a wonderful exercise!!) For me the most expensive thing is the meat... got no experience, since I'm from the other side of the world, but some of the options that have been discussed in this web/forum seem to be ok (cowpooling, buy in bulk from the providers...). Fish has to be either frozen or canned for me. I tend to avoid the most expensive "primal" foods or use them sparingly. Keep an eye open for deals on stuff that doesn't go off quickly. And enjoy yourself, that's the most important bit!!

PrimalCon New York
    I am going to jump right in and do the 21-day challenge!
    My goals for the challenge are to lose 5 lbs and to do some sort of activity out in the sunshine each day!
    I went the doctor the other day and she weighed me and captured my BMI. I am considered "overweight"
    Talk about a good motivator to get healthy!
    Here goes...