Limited Time: Grab your FREE Box of Dark Chocolate Almond Bars Get Yours>>Close
Open
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Extraordinary Science of Junk Food - NYTimes

Hybrid View

The Extraordinary Science of Junk Food - NYTimes

This is nothing we don't already know, those of us who kick around the paleo and primal world a lot. :P But this article was a good solid read all the same, and one I wish people I know would read.

The Extraordinary Science of Junk Food - NYTimes

Thanks for posting this. It is a good read. Nothing surprising, but it certainly hammers home how BigFood isn't about food at all. It's about selling tasty garbage.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Really good read. Will further eliminate any desire to cheat a little with some processed crap.

fta:
    In Coke’s headquarters in Atlanta, the biggest consumers were referred to as “heavy users.” “The other model we use was called ‘drinks and drinkers,’ ” Dunn said. “How many drinkers do I have? And how many drinks do they drink? If you lost one of those heavy users, if somebody just decided to stop drinking Coke, how many drinkers would you have to get, at low velocity, to make up for that heavy user? The answer is a lot. It’s more efficient to get my existing users to drink more.”
    cuz screw those poison pushers

I sent a link to this to my boyfriend. He's outraged. He plans to quit all junk food just as soon as the girlscout cookies are gone. Ha ha.
    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Gosh I do love me some girl scout cookies. I want to buy some but strangely have not encountered a girl scout so far this year.

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I sent a link to this to my boyfriend. He's outraged. He plans to quit all junk food just as soon as the girlscout cookies are gone. Ha ha.
    Holy crap. I'm going to show this to my boyfriend ASAP and hope he does the same! (We have three boxes of girl scout cookies in our kitchen at the moment.)
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

Guarantee you these companies have been on the phone with their lobbyists since that article came out (probably before if they got tipped off). This is the kinda article that govt regulations are made of.

Wow, good read. I am only part way through. Thanks for sharing that. I love a good exposé, and on a topic I enjoy, it's even better.

Wow, good read. I am only part way through. Thanks for sharing that. I love a good exposé, and on a topic I enjoy, it's even better.
    I particularly enjoyed the section where they talk about how the products are specifically formulated NOT to provide satiation.
    eg:
    This contradiction is known as “sensory-specific satiety.” In lay terms, it is the tendency for big, distinct flavors to overwhelm the brain, which responds by depressing your desire to have more. Sensory-specific satiety also became a guiding principle for the processed-food industry. The biggest hits — be they Coca-Cola or Doritos — owe their success to complex formulas that pique the taste buds enough to be alluring but don’t have a distinct, overriding single flavor that tells the brain to stop eating.

Quote Originally Posted by specsAreGrok View Post
    I particularly enjoyed the section where they talk about how the products are specifically formulated NOT to provide satiation.
    eg:
    This contradiction is known as “sensory-specific satiety.” In lay terms, it is the tendency for big, distinct flavors to overwhelm the brain, which responds by depressing your desire to have more. Sensory-specific satiety also became a guiding principle for the processed-food industry. The biggest hits — be they Coca-Cola or Doritos — owe their success to complex formulas that pique the taste buds enough to be alluring but don’t have a distinct, overriding single flavor that tells the brain to stop eating.
    I was just going to copy and paste this very part. Still reading...