Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Extraordinary Science of Junk Food - NYTimes page 3

Primal Fuel
    I read a book that went into a little more detail of the formulations and the crazy stuff that food companies do. It has been out for a while
    Amazon.com: The End of Overeating: Taking Control of the Insatiable American Appetite: David A. Kessler: Books

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    A lot of that actually makes sense- you keep eating it hoping you'll actually find what you are looking for.

I find with "real" baked goods, you do end up overwhelmed and have to stop- like a flourless chocolate cake and whip cream. But say, a birthday cake from WalMart never quite overwhelms you if you like the level of sugar,

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

specsAreGrok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I sent a link to this to my boyfriend. He's outraged. He plans to quit all junk food just as soon as the girlscout cookies are gone. Ha ha.
    Guarantee you these companies have been on the phone with their lobbyists since that article came out (probably before if they got tipped off). This is the kinda article that govt regulations are made of.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Wow, I don't think I ate any of the products featured in the article for at least 10 years. I don't recall last time I had Pringles, that's the only potato chip I liked when I was younger, and only the low fat version, the high fat made me gag (not that it any better, but I hate the greasy feel). Others are just gross. And I like the diet Dr. pepper once in a while (cherry vanilla, eww, won't even want to try it - the artificial cherry flavor is disgusting. Dr Pepper is only good because it tastes nothing like a cherry). But no luncheables, and other stuff in the article. I don't understand why it's considered tasty actually. I remember I bought pasta sauce long time ago, and it was eww. I don't even like commercial cookies and jams. They just don't taste right compared to my own. And processed cheese, OMG, how can anyone manage to keep it in their mouth, beats me. I must be crazy or something.
    Last edited by Leida; 02-22-2013 at 07:51 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Leida, back in my old hippie days, we used to call processed cheese "artificial cheese food product." I still call it that in my head if I see it.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

We're men, Gus; the world is our toilet.

qqemokitty is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Wow, I don't think I ate any of the products featured in the article for at least 10 years. I don't recall last time I had Pringles, that's the only potato chip I liked when I was younger, and only the low fat version, the high fat made me gag (not that it any better, but I hate the greasy feel). Others are just gross. And I like the diet Dr. pepper once in a while (cherry vanilla, eww, won't even want to try it - the artificial cherry flavor is disgusting. Dr Pepper is only good because it tastes nothing like a cherry). But no luncheables, and other stuff in the article. I don't understand why it's considered tasty actually. I remember I bought pasta sauce long time ago, and it was eww. I don't even like commercial cookies and jams. They just don't taste right compared to my own. And processed cheese, OMG, how can anyone manage to keep it in their mouth, beats me. I must be crazy or something.

A lot of people today.. really most people around age 40 and younger... in America were raised on processed foods. more of less, it's all we've ever known. even cooking blogs (CW ones) with stay at home moms that cook dont always make from scratch, or from scratch is now considered dumping in a jar of mayo or some onion packet or cream of mushroom soup.

i think, as the article kind of mentions, that convenience foods are partially born from women joining the workforce in such a high volume. no longer were women stay at home moms, who had time to shop fresh each day, meal plan, mind the children and the house etc. now they were expected to have a job AND have dinner on the table. of course they want it to be easier!

in my marketing class we discussed it as well. women joining the workforce had the most impact on marketing strategy over ANY other social change in the last century.

real cooking is a delicate and time consuming art that not many have time for these days. i rarely do myself, and i cant imagine if i had to cook for a family while holding down my job as well.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    real cooking is a delicate and time consuming art that not many have time for these days. i rarely do myself, and i cant imagine if i had to cook for a family while holding down my job as well.
    Not really though, if you eat simple foods. I consider every meal I make home cooked and most take around 10 minutes of active time, maybe 45 in the oven. That said, my diet is expensive. However, even as a vegetarian meals cooked up similarly quickly.

There is always a way to eat well even with time and budget constraints. I think a big problem is that people's palettes have changed to prefer processed foods. A simple plate of grilled chicken, veggies and a sweet potato isn't as appealing as a pizza.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Basically it's the way capitalism work in the world of processed foods; making the processed carb and fat junk as palatable and addictive as possible, so the consumers feel that they cannot live without them! So the food companies are competing and struggling in selling out this addictive junk in all it's variations and flavors to kids and ignorant consumers and the result is an explosion of obesity and related diseases and perhaps the end of civilization as we know it, and certain guys are laughing out loudly when checking their bank account:

749319494_1351366786.jpg

keithpowers is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Leida, back in my old hippie days, we used to call processed cheese "artificial cheese food product." I still call it that in my head if I see it.
    I currently call it "Cheese with a Z" (as in, CHEEZ).
    Peak weight on Standard American Diet: 316.8 lbs
    Initial Weight When Starting Primal: 275 lbs
    Current weight: 210.8 lbs
    Goal weight: 220 lbs (or less): MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.

The way "ChooseMyPlate.gov" should have looked:
    ChooseMyPlate

qqemokitty is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    Not really though, if you eat simple foods. I consider every meal I make home cooked and most take around 10 minutes of active time, maybe 45 in the oven. That said, my diet is expensive. However, even as a vegetarian meals cooked up similarly quickly.

There is always a way to eat well even with time and budget constraints. I think a big problem is that people's palettes have changed to prefer processed foods. A simple plate of grilled chicken, veggies and a sweet potato isn't as appealing as a pizza.
    This is definitely true.

I mean, sure it takes just a handful of moments to stir fry some veggies and chicken in a wok. But without all the soy sauce, sesame oil, sweet n sour sauce, breading... stir fry is not nearly as exciting.

I definitely struggle with this as primal. I am a competent cook and I can make some great stuff, but when I get home from my 12 hour work day, the last thing I want to do is stand around cooking, especially when anything I could make simply in a convenient amount of time will be nowhere near as enticing as pizza or a double cheeseburger from somewhere else.

I've been very well trained to prefer processed food, and choosing my own food over it after a long day and if it is not cooked ahead, is a major struggle.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast