Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Results of cholesterol test... page

2tall is offline Member

Results of cholesterol test...

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Last test was almost 2 years ago. Diet consisted of fast food almost exclusively. (We're talking curly fries and deep fried tacos on a regular basis. Lots of refined sugar.) TOTALLY sedentary.

Lately, I've been eating 90% primal blueprint. Lots of healthy fats. Went from 280-230 in a year. Last year, i went from 230 to 260, and im back down to 245 now. (first year i ate poorly, just less. Second year I ate mostly healthy, last 8 months or so have been primal, or 90% primal I should say.)

I now walk at least 15 miles per week. Lift 3-4 times per week.

Results of test... Much worse across the board. Good cholesterol went from 29 to 30 though.
    Total cholesterol went from 189 (high but ok) to 215 (bad!)

I'm a bit confused here.

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    How about trying 100% primal being absolutely sure to eat no grains or sugars. then have another test in 3 months.

primal pete is offline Senior Member
    keep in mind that cholesterol tests do have some variance. Meaning, that ~20 pt difference is most likely just a fluke that isn't statistically significant. Read Griff's cholesterol primer here: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread4723.html

good cholesterol ratios and low triglycerides are what's important, not necessarily your overall levels.

2tall is offline Member
    Tris are up to 226, and good is at 30.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primal pete View Post
    keep in mind that cholesterol tests do have some variance. Meaning, that ~20 pt difference is most likely just a fluke that isn't statistically significant. Read Griff's cholesterol primer here: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread4723.html

good cholesterol ratios and low triglycerides are what's important, not necessarily your overall levels.
    This. (Particularly reading the primer).
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

peril is offline Senior Member
    HDL of 30 is too low. Tri of 226 is too high. You sure you're 90% primal?
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

2tall is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    HDL of 30 is too low. Tri of 226 is too high. You sure you're 90% primal?
    I have the occasional snickers bar or flour tortilla.

I eat a LOT of chicken, turkey, cow, salmon, almonds, macadamia nuts, veggies.
    Last edited by 2tall; 02-20-2013 at 07:57 PM.

Timthetaco Guest
    What was your triglyceride number before? If they increased significantly it could indicate a liver problem. I had my father, the diabetic with a fatty liver, go on a high fat ketogenic diet to help his diabetes, and his triglycerides tripled. Not because eating fat does that, but because he has a bum liver. His HDL is also low.

StephenHLi is offline Senior Member
    If triglycerides are over 200, stop/reduce sodas, juice beverages, fruit intake, and flour based food products.

Total cholesterol of 189 is too low in my opinion. In general, people should be aiming to fall 220-240 range with the matching of appropriate ratios of course.

mle777 is offline Member
    Are you using coconut oil? I use a ton of coconut oil and my HDL went from 60 to 102 (or 110, I just know it's over 100). My doctor said that he rarely sees anyone with HDL over 100 and was really impressed. Exercise will also help to boost your HDL.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast