Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Parents getting "worried" about my eating habits... page

PrimalStudent is offline Senior Member

Parents getting "worried" about my eating habits...

Shop Now
    I'm a college student, so when I'm away at school, I have complete control over what I buy and eat. So I happily chow down on my eggs, grass-fed beef, avocados, and veggies cooked with bacon. I feel better (and leaner) than ever before.

Every time I go home, though, my parents watch me warily. They're on my back constantly about the number of eggs I'm eating (2 daily) and how my cholesterol is going to be through the roof. They're convinced I'll have a heart attack any day now.

How do you guys deal with CW people? I've tried telling them about the Primal Blueprint, but they're both in pretty good shape (my mom walks a lot and my dad just has great genes) so they see no reason to rethink what they're doing. I'm happy that they're happy, but I don't want them to worry about me so much.

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    TWO eggs daily? The horror! Oh, wait, I average close to 6/day...

Oh, and have a ripped 6 pack and great numbers.

Gladmorning is offline Senior Member
    Just say, "Mom, Dad, I appreciate your concern. However, I am an adult and I have done the research on this way of eating. I feel better, look better and thoroughly enjoy it. Let me do what I do, and you do what you do. Ok?"
    The process is simple: Free your mind, and your ass will follow.

workinprogress is offline Senior Member
    They probably won't listen to anything other than a checkup with you PCP. Maybe consider getting a lipid panel to get them off your back. Or try finding a Dr. that is primal/paleo oriented that can get them off your back.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    I would reframe your diet as being about eating whole foods. Emphasise the fruit and vegetables you are eating, since they score as 'healthy' on the CW radar.

And maybe try to reframe the dicussion as being one about 'nutrition', where nutrition is all of the vitamins and minerals that your body needs other than calories.

Cholesterol is a hard one, since CW has a completely incorrect mental model of the disease and is almost totally wrong regarding it (almost). About the only thing I can suggest is that you read the link in my sig, and see if you can agree with them that what really matters are the RATIOS of TotC/HDL, Trig/HDL and LDL/HDL. Since CW is on board with that at least.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Ask them to linten to the Weston A Price and the Ancestral Health series of lectures freely available on the Internet on youtube.com. If they'll do that, they'll probably at least back off a bit.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    I would reframe your diet as being about eating whole foods. Emphasise the fruit and vegetables you are eating, since they score as 'healthy' on the CW radar.

And maybe try to reframe the dicussion as being one about 'nutrition', where nutrition is all of the vitamins and minerals that your body needs other than calories.

Cholesterol is a hard one, since CW has a completely incorrect mental model of the disease and is almost totally wrong regarding it (almost). About the only thing I can suggest is that you read the link in my sig, and see if you can agree with them that what really matters are the RATIOS of TotC/HDL, Trig/HDL and LDL/HDL. Since CW is on board with that at least.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

252dlp is offline Senior Member
    You know, in my own life, I've come to realize that it is sometimes just better to NOT tell people what you are doing...at least not right away. If people question me about what I'm eating, I just say something vague like "I'm trying to cut down on sugar and processed stuff". Once I start looking healthier, feeling better, getting healthier blood work, etc., then if someone asks what I've done because they've noticed the improvements, I'll tell them.

For some reason people get super defensive about stuff like this. I don't doubt they are truly worried about you, but when you think about it, what is unhealthy about good protein, veggies and fruits.

I'm not sure how you can convince them other than for them to see the health improvements.

epicuriousbynature is offline Junior Member
    It's a very touchy subject! There are very few people I can openly talk to about my eating habits. My parents don't eat the same way, but yet they understand why I do... I'd rather fit into my jeans instead of looking like a busted can of biscuits! No, that's not the only reason but it plays a part. I've dealt with a lot of critisism, especially when I dropped 19lbs in a few weeks and my "friends" and I use the term "friends" loosely, got all up in arms and such saying some pretty ugly things. I consume LCHF meals and it's second nature to me, my refrigerator is stuffed full of FATS, meat and Eggs... Try to just embrace that EVERYONE has their version of what healthy is and that's never going to change. It's kind of like doctors, that's why people get a second or third opinion, because they're not going to all have the same answer!

Omni is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Their concerns are genuine, but misguided, you can avoid the conversation with others with off the cuff statements, but with your parents you will need to come to Adult resolutions and this is a perfect opportunity.

Be confidant and purposeful but gentle with them because you do want them on board.

Firstly ask them if can they accept that everything they have been led to believe about healthy eating may be wrong?

Tell them you can counter every piece of data they can gather about your eating habits being unhealthy.

Then ask them if they want to engage in this process it is not going to be an afternoon conversation and may well take 12 months as they will be expected to do their own research and not simply rely on the default of the accepted norm, this will involve them finding scientific studies to support their case and not just magazine and promo advertising about the benefits of wholegrain bread.

If they accept then you can begin the process, if not then they need to allow you to make your own choices and leave you in peace and make this very clear to them.

If they slip up and give you a sideways glance as you use "bacon fat as lip balm", then simply repeat the challenge, do you want to go there?

I think you will find they will either accept you as an adult or they might go down the path and see that you are on the right path.
    Either way it should eliminate the little tit for tat comments.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast