Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Parents getting "worried" about my eating habits... page 3

TrevorSorensen is offline Junior Member
    Shop Now
    I am a student that still lives with my parents so I feel your pain. It is truly bad when my parents cook meals for me: I am "obligated" to eat whatever they prepare. I have attempted to explain to them (to know avail) that going primal will actually benefit me. My dad has even compared my nutrition to a "fasting state." Although it seems tough now, realize that when you are living on your own, they have no say over your nutritional choices. If your parents respect your choices, they will eventually stop criticizing you. They just don't want to admit you are old enough to make your own decisions.
    "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." -Lao-tzu

Nutrition, Wellness, and Lifestyle Blog http://trevorsorensen.weebly.com

PrimalStudent is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TrevorSorensen View Post
    I am a student that still lives with my parents so I feel your pain. It is truly bad when my parents cook meals for me: I am "obligated" to eat whatever they prepare. I have attempted to explain to them (to know avail) that going primal will actually benefit me. My dad has even compared my nutrition to a "fasting state." Although it seems tough now, realize that when you are living on your own, they have no say over your nutritional choices. If your parents respect your choices, they will eventually stop criticizing you. They just don't want to admit you are old enough to make your own decisions.
    That's the worst... when I go home, my mom goes all out and bakes cookies and makes all these carb-heavy CW meals. I know she's doing it out of love, and I hate to hurt her feelings, so I'll force myself to have some. Once or twice I've ended up feeding it to the dog... bad, I know.

notlupus is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimalStudent View Post
    Thanks for all the input. I'll definitely make an effort of emphasizing the veggie/"whole foods" aspect. I'll probably avoid the whole "fat is good" explanation because I don't want to send them into a meltdown... might be too much for them to take, haha. If they ever have real questions about the nutrition aspect of what I'm doing, I'll just send them over to MDA
    Until you graduate, you have to appease your parents enough that they will submit the FAFSA and let you get student aid. If you need them to help you pay for college, their support is even more important. I'd agree with others to eat lots of fruits and veggies around them and load up on eggs and meats while out or at a friend's place. You don't want to risk them getting mad and making you have to quit school.

Rhiannon8404 is offline Junior Member
    That's the worst... when I go home, my mom goes all out and bakes cookies and makes all these carb-heavy CW meals. I know she's doing it out of love, and I hate to hurt her feelings, so I'll force myself to have some. Once or twice I've ended up feeding it to the dog... bad, I know.
    I doubt this will make you feel much better, but I still have to go through this sometimes and I haven't lived "at home" for 20 years. Sometimes parents just don't get it. A lot of parents don't want to think their kids know more about something than they do. I am trying not to be that kind of parent with my son.

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    ehem.

'YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND ME I HATE MY LIFE WHY DO YOU TORTURE ME LIKE THIS I HATE YOU WHY WON'T YOU LEAVE ME ALONE AND LET ME DO WHAT I WANT I'M NOT A LITTLE BABY I CAN TAKE CARE OF MYSELF *long screech then door slam*'
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Just show them your lab numbers.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

SeaHorse is offline Senior Member
    No, the dog is no trash can! If its sh!t - throw it in the bin, don't compromise the innocent animal's health!

Well, but the problem with the parents can be a tough one. I lived with mine till I was 42, married, had children.... No decision of my own, parents don't easily take all that nonsense about beeing adult and taking your own decisions. Learn to act when they don't look. Always easier to get them accept whats done already. Luckily we don't have much problems with the PB as my parents are close to it.

spuggygirl is offline Senior Member
    Yeah parents can be tough. I'm almost 46 years old but my parents would freak if they knew how much fat I eat! Mother is completely obsessed and totally fat-phobic...oh, yes, and she believes everything she reads in the Daily Mail. Although - small miracles - I have managed to get her into using coconut oil (although she uses only the tiniest bit she possibly can).

I don't visit them too often - generally just Christmas - and just say no thanks to the carby crap. I eat the veggies and the meat - and maybe a roast potato or two (just because it's Christmas).

Mostly they visit me. I just feed them primal and wonder how long it will take them to notice that there's no pasta/potatoes/rice on their plates. Usually they just rave about how lovely my cooking is. Last time, mum noticed there was no toast with the bacon and eggs but actually just commented that it was nice to know that she didn't need the toast and felt quite satisfied without it. Otherwise she just comments about 'all that fat' as she wipes it from her chin with a smile.

I don't talk about primal eating, I just say that I don't really eat bread these days. They're always commenting on how well I look so maybe some of it will rub off on them...but they're a bit too old in the tooth. And if I'm in their house, well I suppose I just do the best I can.

Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodorchid View Post
    ehem.

'YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND ME I HATE MY LIFE WHY DO YOU TORTURE ME LIKE THIS I HATE YOU WHY WON'T YOU LEAVE ME ALONE AND LET ME DO WHAT I WANT I'M NOT A LITTLE BABY I CAN TAKE CARE OF MYSELF *long screech then door slam*'
    Erm I think you forgot "I DIDN'T ASK TO BE BORN"

Oh and "FINE I'LL NEVER EAT AGAIN THEN YOU'LL BE SORRY WHEN I'M DEAD
    Last edited by Tribal Rob; 02-21-2013 at 03:41 AM.
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    perfect
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast