Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Parents getting "worried" about my eating habits... page 2

Bifcus is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    How long are you home for? Sometimes an argument just isn't worth it, no matter how much you want to convert people (especially family). A little subterfuge could take all the heat out of the matter.

Try cutting down how many eggs they see you eat. Ever gone out to brunch with friends? Gone out to exercise and stopped at a cafe on the way home? A couple of times a week, try to eat your breakfast eggs away from home, then get home and have a nice bowl of CW approved fruit salad or something.

Would they freak if you IF'd and missed breakfast somedays? How about eating meat or something else when you would normally do eggs? Do they react the same if the eggs are made into a pancake using coconut flour?

They are probably comfortable with the meat and vegie thing, so if you can avoid antagonising them on the egg front, you might find things go a lot smoother. A short term compromise will not kill you.

I long ago gave up fighting every fight. Now I choose my battles more carefully and it reduces stress.

jaredc is offline Junior Member
    Can you present them with raw numbers? If they believe primal foods will cause a heart attack, perhaps they also believe lipid profiles are a marker of general health. Eat bacon, show them good HDL/LDL numbers, turn their world upside down.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Omni View Post
    Firstly ask them if can they accept that everything they have been led to believe about healthy eating may be wrong?

Tell them you can counter every piece of data they can gather about your eating habits being unhealthy.
    This seems to be unnecessarily argumentative. There's LOTS to agree with about 'healthy' CW eating. Eat lots of fruit and veges, get vitamins and minerals, olive oil is good for you......

The trick is in working out what you can agree on.

If you *really* feel that the best defense is a good offense, I would tackle wheat and challenge them on their consumption of that.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

PrimalStudent is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for all the input. I'll definitely make an effort of emphasizing the veggie/"whole foods" aspect. I'll probably avoid the whole "fat is good" explanation because I don't want to send them into a meltdown... might be too much for them to take, haha. If they ever have real questions about the nutrition aspect of what I'm doing, I'll just send them over to MDA

Yeah, giving them a link is probably the best way. Particularly since mark backs his points up with scientific references.
    p.s. If your icon is you then I haven't got a clue *what* your parents are on about. You look pretty awesome to me.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.

PrimalStudent is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    Yeah, giving them a link is probably the best way. Particularly since mark backs his points up with scientific references.
    p.s. If your icon is you then I haven't got a clue *what* your parents are on about. You look pretty awesome to me.
    haha yes it's me... they probably blame my physique on my young, fast metabolism little do they know it's the steak and butter

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    This seems to be unnecessarily argumentative. There's LOTS to agree with about 'healthy' CW eating. Eat lots of fruit and veges, get vitamins and minerals, olive oil is good for you......

The trick is in working out what you can agree on.

If you *really* feel that the best defense is a good offense, I would tackle wheat and challenge them on their consumption of that.
    Each to their own, but as I understood it, it specifically related to eggs & fat and no amount of look at all the good stuff I eat will change that and the only way to get over that hurdle is to walk the entire cholesterol & saturated fat road, and as we all know it's a long one, but if you think they will accept it with the odd link or comment, go for it, I personally think it will just end up as a painfull tit for tat saga, a structured discussion takes the emotion out of it and emotion is where the pain comes from.

Fair enough. If it's specifically a journey into Cholesterol the OP wants, The straight dope on Cholesterol is really really good. It's a pretty lengthy read though for a series of blog posts. He wrote a guest post on MDA, but sadly it's far too densly packed to be accessible to the layman.

PS, would your parents be motivated/interested to read that?

paleodog is offline Senior Member
    at the end of the day it's your life and you have to live it as you see fit. Be respectful, courteous and committed to your lifestyle. No one else can live your life for you or reap the benefits or lessons hard-earned. But be respectful and non-judging of those who may not share your lifestyle choices. That's how I deal with it (most of the time). I'm not perfect either.

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Tell them nicely, since they are making a point of the amount of eggs that you eat, that eating cholesterol doesn't give a person high cholesterol.

In my case, I would tell my parents to go and research it if they are worried about it, but that I am an adult and I can decide what I want to eat, since I respect the fact that they are adults and I don't tell them what to eat. But that's me. And also in my case there would probably be a little sarcasm thrown in.
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast