Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Might Coffee be good for you. page 4

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    OK, I can see how cream and/or food could slow the absorption down a bit but it doesn't make the stimulant go away. And sugar is yet another stimulant. Wow, when you jump down the Peatarian rabbit hole, things really do get upside down.
    Not trying to be contentious, but what's your definition of a stimulant? Do you consider meat a stimulant? The metabolic kick from protein is so much higher than carbs. I know one could say that this is from the glucose content but...!

I don't think sugar and caffeine are equivocal.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

sarahard7 is offline Junior Member
    I love this stuff.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    From google. Stimulant: A substance that raises levels of physiological or nervous activity in the body.

More searching reveals that caffeine is universally thought of as a stimulant.

Sugar is more controversial. I understand that it makes some children hyper, but I also know that for some of us, a small carby snack before bed helps us sleep. No wonder the controversy.

Coffee does seem to jump start me in the morning. OTOH, if I'm really tired close to bed time, but I'm in the mood for coffee, I can drink my mug of espresso and fall asleep just fine. Normally I won't drink it past about 4pm, but there are times when I'm just in the mood later.

Good/bad; black/white. I, like many others of my generation, did cocaine on and off for almost a decade, but I only ever bought it once. IOW, when it was around, I indulged, but rarely ever sought it out. Good? Probably not. Bad? An autopsy might reveal something, but for now, no, it doesn't seem to have had a lasting effect.

Coffee is probably not a magic elixir. Nor is it some life ruining substance. On a bell curve there will be some of us who shouldn't ever indulge either for health reasons or potential addiction. There will be some of us who can drink tons. And most of will fall somewhere in between those two extremes. The world contains the color gray.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    I, like many others of my generation, did cocaine on and off for almost a decade, but I only ever bought it once. IOW, when it was around, I indulged, but rarely ever sought it out. Good? Probably not. Bad? An autopsy might reveal something, but for now, no, it doesn't seem to have had a lasting effect.
    The human body is very resilient, but when you're a chronic user of substances which have an unnaturally powerful effect, the body starts to rebel. That's why drug users call their early days of drugs use "the honeymoon phase". It wears off after a while (maybe a year) and then the lows kick in.

If you are only ever a sporadic user then this may not happen. But some people can't use at all without the see-saw effect kicking in powerfully.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    The problem with all Class A's is that they create one effect in the body, but when the drug wears off then the body swings the other way to counteract it. This contant see-sawing of the body trying to create equilibrium is what's really damaging IMO.
    So maybe we should just stay stoned all the time. Solves that problem.

Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Not trying to be contentious, but what's your definition of a stimulant? Do you consider meat a stimulant? The metabolic kick from protein is so much higher than carbs. I know one could say that this is from the glucose content but...!

I don't think sugar and caffeine are equivocal.
    I never said they were equivalent. I was just referring to the adrenal fatigue that can be the end result of overuse of either or both of them. Pounding down the caffeine plus boat loads of sugar like the Peat heads do must be hell on the adrenal system. The young strong ones say they feel terrific and I don't doubt that they do. They are happier than an ADHD kid in a candy store and Uncle Peat is buying. I would like to see the long term effects of that kind of diet a couple of decades down the road however.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    So maybe we should just stay stoned all the time. Solves that problem.

I never said they were equivalent. I was just referring to the adrenal fatigue that can be the end result of overuse of either or both of them. Pounding down the caffeine plus boat loads of sugar like the Peat heads do must be hell on the adrenal system. The young strong ones say they feel terrific and I don't doubt that they do. They are happier than an ADHD kid in a candy store and Uncle Peat is buying. I would like to see the long term effects of that kind of diet a couple of decades down the road however.
    Holy shit lay off the Oprahesque science.

I have a perfect cure for my "adrenal fatigue", it's called a healthy thyroid. You know what supports thyroid? That's right, coffee. If you want to know what it does a few decades down the road, just look at Ray Peat. Late 70s, still going strong. Or, David Lynch. Drank 20 cups of coffee daily for many, many years. Probably still does. He also smokes.

Looks like he's doing fine! Brilliant, creative mind too. And just look at that mane!

And if everyone were stoned all the time there would be a lot less intolerance and rampant douchebagery around, that's for sure.
    Last edited by Derpamix; 03-22-2013 at 06:15 PM.
    nihil

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    A nice cup of Colombian coffee in the early morning hours, unsweetened and zero fat added, is one of the good things that makes life worth living! So even IF it should turn out that it shorten our life with a few years for an average, I would still drink it!

And I still drink Whiskey and Rum, even if their "health benefits" are somehow less obvious than coffee...

Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    And I still drink Whiskey and Rum, even if their "health benefits" are somehow less obvious than coffee...
    Me too :3
    nihil

Paleobird Guest
    OK. So, people who openly admit to doing drugs, boozing it up, drinking sodas, eating candy, and eating lots of sugar are dispensing advice on a health forum. What is wrong with this picture?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    you're such a prude. do you have any fun ever?
    nihil

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast