Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Might Coffee be good for you. page 3

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    For the record I have about a half a cup of coffee a day (on average). I mostly drink tea or water. I don't really know anybody personally that drinks tons of it. I think it's a safe enough "vice."

It does get annoying all the praise it gets though, or how people drag ass and seem to proudly state they need coffee, then want to talk shit about people that "do drugs."

White people, amirite?!
    I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

NeoSapien is offline Junior Member
    Caffeine is indeed a scary drug, but it's also something that you want to be there for you when you need it. If you consistently drink 4-5+ cups of coffee just to get you through the day it's not going to do you much good when you actually need it to stay awake in a high stress/emergency situation, or even just on a road trip where you need to drive at night for example.

Just like any drug though it seems to be the dosage that's the key. And I agree that the very same people that pick apart studies about CW "healthy" dietary choices need to apply that same scrutiny to every observational study, even if it supports their habits.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Yep. I just don't like the idea of any substance ruling my world that much. It's like being a slave to the coffee pot.

Cocaine, speed, and heroin also make you feel good, so I'm told, but that doesn't make them good for you.
    The biggest problem with those drugs is the stimulant effect on stress hormones. Cocaine itself promotes a strong sense of awareness, focus, and sensory perception. Minimizing stress hormones could possibly mitigate the harmful sides of temporary use.

Good drugs for long term use are psychedelics ie; acid, shrooms.

Pretty predictable responses though, kinda funny.
    nihil

Paleobird Guest
    And yet you don't see that caffeine has the same stimulant effect on stress hormones? Blinders much?

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    And yet you don't see that caffeine has the same stimulant effect on stress hormones? Blinders much?
    I know it does, hence the liberal use of cream and sugar. I don't drink black coffee, and usually have it along with some small meal with protein and carbs.
    nihil

Paleobird Guest
    OK, I can see how cream and/or food could slow the absorption down a bit but it doesn't make the stimulant go away. And sugar is yet another stimulant. Wow, when you jump down the Peatarian rabbit hole, things really do get upside down.

tzulogic is offline Member
    Coffee raises cortisol! Cortisol depletes muscle. Yet I'm drinking my joe as we speak. Did you know that when they studied the effects of supplements that mixed caffeine and creatine together...caffeine canceled out the creatine? Meaning, it prevented the creatine from being effective. It messes with your hormones. That CAN'T be good.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Coffee raises cortisol! Cortisol depletes muscle. Yet I'm drinking my joe as we speak. Did you know that when they studied the effects of supplements that mixed caffeine and creatine together...caffeine canceled out the creatine? Meaning, it prevented the creatine from being effective. It messes with your hormones. That CAN'T be good.
    I was going to quit entirely, but have instead cut back to one or two cups a day. My workouts have suddenly become immensely more profitable, faster gains. I don't know if there's a correlation or not, to be honest. But it's nice to not be stuck at 30 measly push-ups max. Busted out a 39-rep test two days ago, and I haven't really done anything different physically. Nothing solid here, just an N=1.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Paleobird Guest
    Try Teeccino. Good stuff.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    The biggest problem with those drugs is the stimulant effect on stress hormones. Cocaine itself promotes a strong sense of awareness, focus, and sensory perception. Minimizing stress hormones could possibly mitigate the harmful sides of temporary use.

Good drugs for long term use are psychedelics ie; acid, shrooms.

Pretty predictable responses though, kinda funny.
    The problem with all Class A's is that they create one effect in the body, but when the drug wears off then the body swings the other way to counteract it. This contant see-sawing of the body trying to create equilibrium is what's really damaging IMO.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast