Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 81

Thread: Might Coffee be good for you. page 2

  1. #11
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Primal Fuel
    I am under strict orders from my neurologist to be caffeine free due to the fact that it can cause seizures in someone whose brain is pre-disposed to seizures. So a person with a healthy brain says, "Well, that doesn't apply to me." Maybe not directly but if coffee can give a sensitive brain seizures, it stands to reason that it is probably not doing good things for other brains either.

  2. #12
    Derpamix's Avatar
    Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    5,357
    Quote Originally Posted by codered5 View Post
    There is plenty of research out there suggesting coffee may not be so great. No one ever talks about the 200 something acids in it that inhibit absorption of certain nutrients or that it is directly tied to depression in some. Im not saying it cant be healthy but this particular issue is the most hypocritical thing i find about this community...the research you read saying its great for you is the same crap that says grains are too. Once again im not saying it is or isnt, but to come out and say its without a doubt healthy is a fallacy. I know several people who claim quitting caffeine cured them of their depression and they were only having 2 cups of coffee a day.
    The research that says it's great for you isn't as valid as the research that says it isn't great for you? lol...

    You mean research like this?

    "17. Caffeine causes stress on the body. Stress is a factor in most diseases."

    "18. Caffeine lowers your stress threshold. In other words, coffee drinkers handle stress less effectively."

    "27. Caffeine causes depression and anxiety, and can lead to panic attacks."

    "26. Coffee plays a role in malnutrition. Caffeine causes an increased loss of thiamin and other B vitamins, calcium, minerals, sodium, chloride, potassium, magnesium, and zinc. "

    "29. Coffee makes you crazy!"

    Yeah, awesome, this is all over the internet too. Or the one government test that linked caffeine to issues with women during pregnancy?

    Caffeine inhibits brain phospholipase, making it neuroprotective on a wide scale.

    Regulatory functions of phospholipase A2. [Crit Rev Immunol. 1997] - PubMed - NCBI

    Not to mention it inhibits iron, lowers serotonin, and per calorie has a great range of nutrients.

    B-b-but caffeine gives you a boost therefore it must be bad that's not natural...
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

  3. #13
    Derpamix's Avatar
    Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    5,357
    Also, maybe reaching, but look up per capita for nations and coffee consumption along with health, happiness, and well-being. The US is way down there, and we're one of the most unhealthy nations in the world. Not even my coffee consumption and happiness can bring that up.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

  4. #14
    codered5's Avatar
    codered5 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    261
    Derpamix..I didnt at all claim that one side or the other was right, i said im not saying either way but its bs to not look at both sides. I was just stating some examples. You were viewing my comments through your own preconception...and im guessing since you are here that you value the research that shows grains are bad over the stuff that says its good, so your first comment is interesting...at the end of your post i couldnt tell what side you were on lol. And the research that says coffee is great sells product, so idk the answer, but caffeine is a pretty powerful drug, go off it for a month and see how different you feel, good or bad.

  5. #15
    Derpamix's Avatar
    Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    5,357
    Quote Originally Posted by codered5 View Post
    Derpamix..I didnt at all claim that one side or the other was right, i said im not saying either way but its bs to not look at both sides. I was just stating some examples. You were viewing my comments through your own preconception...and im guessing since you are here that you value the research that shows grains are bad over the stuff that says its good, so your first comment is interesting...at the end of your post i couldnt tell what side you were on lol. And the research that says coffee is great sells product, so idk the answer, but caffeine is a pretty powerful drug, go off it for a month and see how different you feel, good or bad.
    I did. Stopped all caffeine for 2 months. I didn't notice anything either way, except less clarity of mind, and less energy in the morning. Was also slightly less motivated in the morning.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

  6. #16
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    FYI, codered5, Derpy has proudly stated that he ingests about thirty cups of highly sweetened coffee per day. You wouldn't want to get between him and the coffee pot in the morning.

  7. #17
    Rojo's Avatar
    Rojo is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    784
    Quote Originally Posted by codered5 View Post
    Im not saying it cant be healthy but this particular issue is the most hypocritical thing i find about this community...the research you read saying its great for you is the same crap that says grains are too.
    Spot on. I'm a fiend for the stuff and would love for it to be good for me. But I seriously question it.

    I gave up the booze for January and found it not all that difficult. Tried to give up coffee for a week, couldn't make it one day. Yikes.

  8. #18
    Derpamix's Avatar
    Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    5,357
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    FYI, codered5, Derpy has proudly stated that he ingests about thirty cups of highly sweetened coffee per day. You wouldn't want to get between him and the coffee pot in the morning.
    I wouldn't either. I've murdered people for a lot less.

    I don't know why you're questioning something being good for you. Does it make you feel good? There you fuckin' go. There is no concrete evidence that shows coffee, or caffeine being bad for you, and the evidence to the contrary is far more conclusive.

    It's just more propaganda and slander. I've been drinking coffee and caffeine since I was 6 years old.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

  9. #19
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    I gave up the booze for January and found it not all that difficult. Tried to give up coffee for a week, couldn't make it one day. Yikes.
    Yep. I just don't like the idea of any substance ruling my world that much. It's like being a slave to the coffee pot.

    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    I wouldn't either. I've murdered people for a lot less.

    I don't know why you're questioning something being good for you. Does it make you feel good? There you fuckin' go. There is no concrete evidence that shows coffee, or caffeine being bad for you, and the evidence to the contrary is far more conclusive.

    It's just more propaganda and slander. I've been drinking coffee and caffeine since I was 6 years old.
    Cocaine, speed, and heroin also make you feel good, so I'm told, but that doesn't make them good for you.

  10. #20
    iniQuity's Avatar
    iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Northern NJ
    Posts
    5,683
    You know what else made me feel good? crack.

    HOW DO YA LIKE THAT


    YA NUT
    I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •