Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Migraines, wtf? page

nikitakolata is offline Senior Member

Angry Migraines, wtf?

Primal Fuel
    I don't know why, but I have been getting a lot of migraines lately. I haven't been perfectly following PB, but I haven't been horrible, either. I have had 3 of them in the past 7 days. I get ocular migraines; lots of flashy zig-zag things in my vision for about half an hour, then a bad headache and nausea (sometimes vomiting). These things are awful. I thought that maybe gluten was a migraine trigger, but I don't know. I had 2 cake balls (about 1 inch in diameter) last week. I've also eaten in restaurants; I have had foods that shouldn't contain any gluten (things like salad, sushi) but not foods that are certified to be gluten free, I guess.

I just don't know what could be causing all of these headaches. I started taking the Damage Control vitamins about 5 days ago, but my first really bad migraine was 7 days ago. After that first one I've made an effort not to drink beer and to try and get my eating back on track. I don't know if there is just a long lag time between my bad eating and these headaches or if it is something else entirely.

I have been under a lot of stress. My husband and I sold our house on Feb. 1 and we moved in with my parents while we're waiting for our next house to close. I also interviewed for a job I really want over a month ago and they still haven't made a hiring decision (they've told me that I'm their top choice). I don't know what is taking this company so long to make a decision, but I am anxious about that, of course. I've been applying for other jobs, also. I'm also involved in 4 real estate transactions, which is a TON for me (I typically do about 4 in an entire year, not all in 1 month). I don't know if all the stress is causing these headaches or what.

I have been good about exercising, at least 30 minutes a day plus walking. I've been doing sprints and lifting weights. I've been exercising as much for stress relief as for anything else lately.

Does anyone have ideas for me? I cannot have this many headaches all the time; I'm missing too much work and feeling crappy way too much. Sadly, I thought I felt really good earlier today, too.

mbtwos is offline Member
    It sounds like you need to sit down and relax.

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    yep I agree - chillax. I get them occassionally now, and as soon as that aura starts I drink at least a litre of water and put peppermint oil on the back of my neck. I haven't had to take immagrin meds for a while now. I am still shattered for a day or two after, but they don't get any worse if I recognise the signs early and nip it before it gets past the point of no return.
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

hulahoop is offline Senior Member
    Sounds very much stress related to me. Is there anything you can do to reduce the current stress in your life? Or take some time out to relax? My migraines definitely escalate when i'm under stress. Try and eat as clean as you can, drink plenty of water and get a good nights sleep.

Interesting about the peppermint oil gwamma, will check this out

Quote Originally Posted by hulahoop View Post

Interesting about the peppermint oil gwamma, will check this out
    Yep it cools the back of your neck down, which in turn cools your head, which in turn shrinks the wee blood vessels - or something like that. BUT - do not get it into any orafices - stings like crazy !!!!!!!

...small steps....

I definitely could use less stress. I guess I wasn't sure if stress could really cause them or not... That probably sounds really silly, but I didn't get migraines when I was planning my wedding, for example, and that was an extremely stressful time in my life. So in the past they don't seem like they have been linked to stress.

I wish I could really relax, but I guess I just don't know how. I like real estate as a business (I have my own brokerage), but it is undoubtedly a stressful business and emotions tend to run high. I don't know what to do... I really want to take a few days off and go on a vacation, but with no money that's hard to do. Once our house closes then I'll know if we have any money for a vacation, but I won't know until then and I don't want to blow money we could end up needing. Ugh. Stress sucks!

I will try the peppermint oil though! I don't usually take any medicine when I get a migraine because I've never used one that actually worked before. I have tried several prescriptions and over the counter medications. For me, the nausea is actually worse than the headache now and sometimes I get an aura with almost no pain at all. It's bizarre, that's for sure. My migraines have definitely changed over the years.

NK - My DH and I have been farming for many years, (and that is a really stressful life) however three years ago DH had two new half knees, so a change in direction was needed. He chose Real estate, so I am with you on the stress thing there. ( I cannot believe how his stress levels have increased), Because he works so late into the night trying to do the best for his clients, he comes to bed with a brain on overdrive. I have found that supplimenting him with magnesium at night really helps his mind relax.
    It might be worth a try ?

...small steps....

JBailey is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like stress....

My migraines really dropped after going primal.

Do you live in a medical MJ state? That can be very helpful with all aspects of migraines.
    Seven Trees Farm - diversified subsistence farming on 1.25 acres.

Gwamma - Yep, that's the thing with real estate, it is a 24/7 business. People think I'll email, call, show houses, search listings, etc., etc., etc., at all hours of the day and night. Normally I have one client at a time so it's no big deal, but I've got 4 right now. Plus, even though my husband and I just moved in with my parents, they are moving too! My daily life is just chaos right now.

I was taking magnesium separately but then I thought it was included in the Damage Control stuff I just bought. I'm going to double check that now... I "have" a bunch of supplements, but they ended up somehow getting packed and stored with pretty much everything else I own, so I can't get to any of them until we move.

Quote Originally Posted by JBailey View Post
    Sounds like stress....

My migraines really dropped after going primal.

Do you live in a medical MJ state? That can be very helpful with all aspects of migraines.
    I wish we had medical MJ in Illinois... I don't think we do. I'm doubtful I could get a doctor to prescribe it here for me anyway. But, that is something I never thought of. Another thing to research...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast