Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Migraines, wtf? page 3

nikitakolata is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post
    I had something similar happen once. I had a fairly brutal migraine (most people don't know you can actually have one without any pain at all) and when it was finally gone, I decided to make a grocery store run. I grabbed a pad of paper and a pen, and then... I couldn't remember how to write.

It took about 20 minutes for me to finally remember, but it was really very scary. There's a theory that some migraines are mini-strokes, but I don't really know enough about it to say anything more.
    Quote Originally Posted by NZ primal Gwamma View Post
    Rita rose I hadn't heard that Mag helps with migraines ! I am not getting many now at all - maybe its the mag ( I take it for sleep) ?????
    I also suffered a funny turn about a year ago. I was talking absolute gibberish, and I knew that I couldn't get the correct words out, but just couldn't make myself talk sense. I think my husband hung up the phone in the end because I just wasn't coherrent -and no before anyone asks ..... I hadn't been drinking that day !!!!!!
    Bloody scarey thou - and my first thoughts were mini stroke......... hopefully never again !!!!!
    Yes! That was very scary when it happened. I hope it never happens again. I'm going to look up how much magnesium is in the vitamins I have and buy some more if there isn't enough. I can't deal with these stupid auras every other day just making life difficult.

Annika is offline Senior Member
    My 2 teenagers have had awful problems with migraines (both have been hospitalized overnight), and we have had tremendous luck with supplements reducing the frequency of migraines. One which was recommended by both our pediatrician and our neurologist is butterbur - we use Migra-Eeze, which contains riboflavin, another often-recommended supplement for migraines. The kids also take 400mg of magnesium citrate. After many months of disabling migraines which lasted several days, neither kid has had a migraine in over six months (knock wood).
    My blog: Pretty Good Paleo
    On Twitter: @NEKLocalvore

Quote Originally Posted by Annika View Post
    My 2 teenagers have had awful problems with migraines (both have been hospitalized overnight), and we have had tremendous luck with supplements reducing the frequency of migraines. One which was recommended by both our pediatrician and our neurologist is butterbur - we use Migra-Eeze, which contains riboflavin, another often-recommended supplement for migraines. The kids also take 400mg of magnesium citrate. After many months of disabling migraines which lasted several days, neither kid has had a migraine in over six months (knock wood).
    This is very encouraging! I am buying some magnesium on my way home today.

I'm reviving this thread to say that I started taking magnesium at night and it has totally worked! As another person suggested I didn't get anything special, just 500mg tablets of magnesium oxide from CVS. I can't believe something this simple has stopped my migraines and that no doctor I've seen in the past 15 years has ever suggested it. Actually, I believe it, but it is sad.

MudLily is offline Senior Member
    Glad to hear that you found a solution. If you haven't done this before, I'd recommend starting a migraine diary if they come back. That will make it easier to figure out what triggers you have. Hopefully it will be something avoidable like a food instead of hormones or weather disturbances.

Badkty22 is offline Senior Member
    My mom, who is prone to severe sinus headaches, had a scary instance at the beginning of the new year. She had what she assumed was another sinus headache, and was trying to just power through it, when she said it felt like her head "exploded". My stepdad found her at her computer, she couldn't remember how to turn it on. She also had no memory of the previous day, nor did she know where my sister or I was (I live in another state, my sister was visiting grandma). They went to the ER, which told her it was just a bad headache, gave her some pills, and home they went.

3 days later, pain is worse than ever, spent a brutal 11 hours in a different ER (I had flown home to help) and turns out she had bacterial meningitis. 6 days of IV antibiotics while hospitalized was required. To this day we have no idea where she contracted it. She is fine now though.

Mom is stubborn, and it took a lot of convincing to get her to the ER the first time, not to mention the second time. If any of you have new/different symptoms please don't be stubborn- go see a doctor!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123