Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Migraines, wtf? page 2

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
    Gwamma - Yep, that's the thing with real estate, it is a 24/7 business. People think I'll email, call, show houses, search listings, etc., etc., etc., at all hours of the day and night. Normally I have one client at a time so it's no big deal, but I've got 4 right now. Plus, even though my husband and I just moved in with my parents, they are moving too! My daily life is just chaos right now.

I was taking magnesium separately but then I thought it was included in the Damage Control stuff I just bought. I'm going to double check that now... I "have" a bunch of supplements, but they ended up somehow getting packed and stored with pretty much everything else I own, so I can't get to any of them until we move.
    I wish DH only had four listings. At the moment he has 21, and they are farms, lifestyle blocks and residential houses, so hes just here there and everywhere !!!!!!
    I try and reduce his stress by doing his emails and office work, and we have also employed a PA for him, but the magnesium has certainly helped him relax at night.
    If he could just switch his phone off at 8.30pm then I could have some quality time with him....... but alas - no-one listens to Gwamma LOL
    good luck

PS I couldn't live with my MIL, or own parents again for any length of time - hopefully you will be able to factor in some quiet time each day
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

nikitakolata is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NZ primal Gwamma View Post
    I wish DH only had four listings. At the moment he has 21, and they are farms, lifestyle blocks and residential houses, so hes just here there and everywhere !!!!!!
    I try and reduce his stress by doing his emails and office work, and we have also employed a PA for him, but the magnesium has certainly helped him relax at night.
    If he could just switch his phone off at 8.30pm then I could have some quality time with him....... but alas - no-one listens to Gwamma LOL
    good luck

PS I couldn't live with my MIL, or own parents again for any length of time - hopefully you will be able to factor in some quiet time each day
    Yikes, 21 listings... Four wouldn't be so bad if this was my "real" job, but it isn't. I have a full time job that is its own ball of stress.

But speaking of MILs, mine lived with us 3 days a week when we had our house. Just thinking about it makes me mad because she thinks it is just fine and dandy yet never really asked us if it was okay. She'll start doing that again as soon as we move into our next house. I told my husband it would be okay for her to do it for 3 months while she decided if commuting from Milwaukee to Chicago would work long term. She's been doing it for 6 months and plans on doing it until she retires, I guess. It really ticks me off and I find it amazing that she doesn't see how it is an imposition. She contributes nothing (no money, no food, doesn't clean) yet eats dinner at our house 3 nights a week and before we moved she had completely taken over one of our bedrooms. So rude. At least here at my parents house my parents basically leave us alone. We pay them. What stinks about this living situation most is that it is a nearly 2 hour commute to work... that's the most stressful aspect. I cannot wait to move (and for my MIL to retire). When we move our commute will be back to a reasonable 35 minutes. I may even just plain demand that MIL continue to use AirBnB.com to find accommodations because I hate her staying with us.

I can imagine with your busy life - your stress meter will be going through the roof !!!!!!!

time to play my girl !!!!!!

...small steps....

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    As a woman you should also consider that your hormones may be changing.

How old are you? You might benefit from a naturopath who specializes in menopause. Now you may not be near menopause, but changes can begin to happen in your 30s.

I suddenly started to get migraines with auras, much as you describe, and have found relief with a couple of supplements recommended by my naturopath.
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

nikitakolata is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jojohaligo View Post
    As a woman you should also consider that your hormones may be changing.

How old are you? You might benefit from a naturopath who specializes in menopause. Now you may not be near menopause, but changes can begin to happen in your 30s.

I suddenly started to get migraines with auras, much as you describe, and have found relief with a couple of supplements recommended by my naturopath.
    I will have to pay attention to that... I'm 31 and while my migraines aren't as painful as they were when I was younger (I started getting them when I was 12), the aura is the part that has not changed. The really scary change was a couple months ago when I basically became incoherent after a migraine. I thought I was having a stroke or something! I just couldn't find the right words and I kept saying words out of order. That really freaked me out, but it hasn't happened since then.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Cutting gluten and eating Primal helped with my migraines, but I was still getting them, just not as often. I was already avoiding sulfites (wine, even in cooking), sodium nitrite (any processed meat - bacon, hot dogs, even if it just says celery salt or celery juice), chocolate or caffeine, all of which are my triggers.

Yeah, I know.

Anyway, I was still getting them when a storm came in and the barometric pressure dropped. Also when I got really ticked off about something and my blood pressure would shoot up. Not that it ever happens...

I did some research and started supplementing with magnesium, and that pretty much did it. I still get migraines, but nowhere near as often (maybe once every few months instead of every other week), and they generally happen when I forget to take my magnesium.

For it to be any good at all, I have to take 800mg of it, so I split it up with 400mg in the morning and 400mg at night (which also helps you sleep, so it's definitely a win). Any less than that and I start getting them more often again. And I know everyone says you have to have the good stuff, but I honestly didn't do as well with the better versions, and I've tried a lot of them. Good ole NatureMade magnesium oxide from Walgreen's works best for me.

I haven't tried peppermint oil yet, but it's definitely on my list to try next time.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

I will have to pay attention to that... I'm 31 and while my migraines aren't as painful as they were when I was younger (I started getting them when I was 12), the aura is the part that has not changed. The really scary change was a couple months ago when I basically became incoherent after a migraine. I thought I was having a stroke or something! I just couldn't find the right words and I kept saying words out of order. That really freaked me out, but it hasn't happened since then.
    I had something similar happen once. I had a fairly brutal migraine (most people don't know you can actually have one without any pain at all) and when it was finally gone, I decided to make a grocery store run. I grabbed a pad of paper and a pen, and then... I couldn't remember how to write.

It took about 20 minutes for me to finally remember, but it was really very scary. There's a theory that some migraines are mini-strokes, but I don't really know enough about it to say anything more.

Rita rose I hadn't heard that Mag helps with migraines ! I am not getting many now at all - maybe its the mag ( I take it for sleep) ?????
    I also suffered a funny turn about a year ago. I was talking absolute gibberish, and I knew that I couldn't get the correct words out, but just couldn't make myself talk sense. I think my husband hung up the phone in the end because I just wasn't coherrent -and no before anyone asks ..... I hadn't been drinking that day !!!!!!
    Bloody scarey thou - and my first thoughts were mini stroke......... hopefully never again !!!!!

...small steps....

JBailey is offline Senior Member
    I wish we had medical MJ in Illinois... I don't think we do. I'm doubtful I could get a doctor to prescribe it here for me anyway. But, that is something I never thought of. Another thing to research...
    It helps with nausea, pain, and relaxing
    Seven Trees Farm - diversified subsistence farming on 1.25 acres.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by JBailey View Post
    It helps with nausea, pain, and relaxing
    I tried it once when I had one and it didn't do anything at all for me, but I've never been accused of being normal, either.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast